IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Oldham
2/21/08, 8:20 PM   #1
Kevin Oldham
Tripcrwn

Does anyone know when we can expect a column from Kevin Oldham over on Hoseheads? I enjoy reading his take on the Indiana sprinters.

2/21/08, 10:45 PM   #2
Re: Kevin Oldham
hosstalker

I last talked to Kevin at the swap meet.

He is pretty busy in the accounting game and doing an article for the magazine from time to time.

Unfortunately it all leaves him a little tapped out for the Hoseheads type column he has been providing over the last few years.

He mentioned that the background work to get his information combined with condensing material and generally covering every conceivable sprint car rumor afloat has taken a toll on his...persistence. He commented rather convincingly that he would welcome someone else taking the reins of the beast if they could give it the effort required.

Not to say he is done doing columns at all. It is more that he can no longer hatch those things every week or two.

I'm like you though, I still drop through Hoseheads to see if the date is still 11/11 by his name.

If nothing else, drop Kevin a line and thank him for his investment over the years. His address is at the bottom af his colummn.

2/21/08, 11:54 PM   #3
bullringko

Hello everyone. This is Kevin Oldham - the real deal. Although I don't normally post on the message board, I thought I'd at least mention that I haven't completely retired from the writing deal, but Scott is correct. My job and desire for a personal life outside of racing have kept the articles to a minimum, especially over the winter months. I've actually enjoyed the time away without the pressure of trying to come up with something ingenious and creative week in and week out. In reality, I've really just written the same old thing every week since I started my article back in '99. Yes, I love this sport. I always will. But how many times and different ways can I possibly say that every week? It gets tougher and tougher with every year.

I'm still unsure of my status as a writer/reporter for 2008. I suppose when the weather gets warmer the juices will start flowing more freely and I may be more motivated to write, but as of right now, I am still burned out. I want to return to simply being a fan or to write with less frequency. The work that it takes to get an article out every week combined with everything else that is going on in my world has taken its toll. The rewards simply aren't there like they used to be. The sport isn't the same sport that I wrote about back in '99 either. The familiar faces are fewer and fewer each year and the cool stories are tougher and tougher to find. But there are still cool stories to tell. It's just that the people who can tell such stories seem to vanish more and more.

Even with all that I've said, I am currently working on a massive question and answer article chronicling the career of Eric Gordon. I've been working on it for the past couple of months and in about a week or so, I will have it finished. I highly doubt that this will be my last piece and to be honest, I have no idea how I will ever completely walk away from the writing thing. As Kevin Eckert once told me, "Write when you feel like you have something to say. Don't just write for the sake of writing." Somehow I'm going to try to adhere to that advice.

Regardless, it is flattering to know that so many have enjoyed what I've had to say. I'm not a writer, but rather just a fan like everybody else who has been given the opportunity to spread the word about this fine pasttime. We'll see how much longer I can keep it up.

Thanks,
KO

2/22/08, 12:04 AM   #4
Crankin

The battle of the K.O.'s!!!!
The third K.O. is Keith Owensby of K.O. Tools.
(Dave Gansert Photo)

2/22/08, 12:16 AM   #5
Tripcrwn

I was surfing around looking for sprint car news and found your column only last year. It wasn't long and you had me hooked as I go often go to Hoseheads site to see if you have a new column. (I think I have read your last piece at least three maybe four times covering your trip out here for the Oval Nationals)
You may be a fan like alot of us but you are a very talented writer and I hope for the sake of our sport you continue to write. Thank you very much!

Just a Sprint Car Fan
Bob Davidson
Southern California

2/22/08, 8:45 AM   #6
Knoke77

KO it's good to see that you are still alive!! Hope to run into you sometime this year and say hello.

2/22/08, 11:46 AM   #7
RichC

KO,

I feel your pain.

2/22/08, 12:07 PM   #8
Dblchkrs

KO, I have always enjoyed your writings and reports. You have a very unique perspective on this crazy sport. Although I have missed reading your weekly-ish perspectives, but I, too, feel your pain. I hope you are able to find new inspirations during this time of soul recharging. I look forward to reading some more of your insightful articles. If you decide that is not what is best for you, I always enjoying seeing KO the fan, at the local IN bullring. See ya in the spring!
Bloomington Speedway
Kokomo Speedway

2/22/08, 12:11 PM   #9
midgy

I miss your columns as well but completely understand where you are coming from. Hope to meet up with you at a race or two this year! April 5th is Eldora!

2/22/08, 6:11 PM   #10
Joe Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullringko View Post
I suppose when the weather gets warmer the juices will start flowing more freely and I may be more motivated to write, but as of right now, I am still burned out.
I can agree with you 100% there KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullringko View Post
The sport isn't the same sport that I wrote about back in '99 either.
Agree again

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Oldham