IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you USAC for taking drivers away from
8/23/12, 4:02 PM   #11
Re: Thank you USAC for taking drivers away from
Jonr

I also want to know why USAC has not cured cancer, ended world hunger and brought peace to all in the world. Thanks for nothing USAC.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge, PJ Wright, Racingperry4, the_77H
8/23/12, 4:36 PM   #12
ShaneMugavin57

I would like to ask one question of the people in California upset over this. How many of you sent letters to USAC in the past thanking them for not scheduling against it or praised USAC on a website for not scheduling against it? I have a feeling that you are like most and only apprecaite something when it is taken away.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, PJ Wright, speed bump, wallbanger II
8/23/12, 4:41 PM   #13
JstAbvVMC

From someone who has laps around and lives an hour from "Stoga", I would love to see BC, DD (fill in your favorite driver) race at that joint.

For those of you in the midwest that haven't been to Stoga it is a gas it up place with the new configuration. No offense to Kokomo or any smaller tracks but at Stoga you have to bring your big boy firesuit to run there. Narrow long straits and tight corners, the corner entry speeds are awesome.

It would be a great test for the best in USAC National guys to run and I have no doubt that they would put on a fantastic show !!!

But, I'm also realistic. USAC can't come out here mid year to race with all of the great tracks they have at home. USAC is not a "travelling" series in the WoO model.

So Gassman 50, we will have to leave our dream of a USAC National show at Stoga a dream for now, maybe some day !!!!

See you at Stoga

8/23/12, 4:45 PM   #14
chop

Well alot of former USAC drivers are now in NASCAR. Should i yell at NASCAR for having races on weekends? So how many of the local wrong coast, local cars came out for speed week races in Indy?

1 member likes this post: speed bump
8/23/12, 4:55 PM   #15
Gasman fan 50

I spent my dollars in the Midwest as a fan, they don't have to haul all the way here as there are rides in great cars. Just think Jack Hewitt will be here and he only raced here once in his hole life. He raced here because he didn't like Baylands World of Outlaw treatment.

Jack Hewitt named Grand Marshall for Vermeil Classic
www.stevenblakesley.com/news/7.9-Hewitt.html
ROSEVILLE, CALIFORNIA (July 9, 2012) – Two-time USAC Silver Crown Series champion Jack Hewitt has been named "Grand Marshall" for the 2012 edition of Vermeil Classic.

The largest half mile west of that big river, just ask Buck Wheat.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, racephoto1
8/23/12, 8:13 PM   #16
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I also want to know why USAC has not cured cancer, ended world hunger and brought peace to all in the world. Thanks for nothing USAC.
Envision Whirled Peas

steiny

8/23/12, 8:31 PM   #17
Scott Daloisio

Gotta' disagree with ya' on this one Joe. With only two or three National drivers coming out, you have all the rest of them at home looking for a place to race. If it was a lot closer (seven hundred miles as opposed to 2,200), I would agree with you.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/23/12, 8:37 PM   #18
Midget 89

How much did Richard "The Gasman" Griffin race in Indiana? Pretty much a California guy, as I remember, Joe.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/23/12, 8:57 PM   #19
CALandSurveyor8759

The CRA is off this weekend and not specifically to allow the drivers to race at the Smackdown. I don't see a great influence on the line-up. It might be that the distance has a greater effect than initially expected. Despite the lucrative incentive, the hype, and the advertisement, it wasn't enough to get drivers to leave their region. But it did get a full field of cars, and the stands sound like they're full. What does the Vermiel Classic pay? That might have more of a regional influence on a successful event than an opening in the schedule for a couple guys across the country. Have you noticed the dwindling car counts at the Oval Nationals? How many cars were in the field when it payed $30,000?
Last edited by CALandSurveyor8759; 8/23/12 at 9:33 PM. Reason: Forgot something

8/23/12, 9:29 PM   #20
ThePurple73

You would think there would be "brains" somewhere to figure out this dilema. A big USAC show on the long Calistoga track would be great.
Isn't there a way to make it fit?
I would like to see more of both states drivers racing each other. More Californians during Indiana sprint week and good Indiana drivers and others during the big California races. There are just too many great competitors and teams in both states to not get to see them compete more.

I remember in years back when Deano, Buster Venard, Leland McSpadden, Steve "the kid" Howard, Brad Noffsinger, Jimmy Sills, Jimmy Boyd, Leroy Van Connett, the Shumans would be figuring out the midwest tracks and racing at the nationals.
Then the midwesterners would head to Manzanita and Ascot. A driver had to be on their game to beat Dean Thompson at Ascot.

It would be great to see that kind of Midwest-California competition again.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank you USAC for taking drivers away from