IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends
2/1/08, 6:42 PM   #11
Re: car pooling and meeting friends
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGracefan View Post
Roger you are a new fan here is away to see the drivers.
Roger , what Kyle meant to say was " you are a new fan ... here is a way to see the drivers ". Kyle talks pretty good but don't write so well ( :O: ) !

You'll meet me at www.talk2drivers.com along with 21 other drivers that Kyle has interviewed. Enjoy !

Paul Gray , "USAC's Oldest Rookie" - USAC Midget # 28

:greenflag: www.paulgray28.com

:Steer < Kyle Hendershot

2/1/08, 6:47 PM   #12
stephen

One more poor soul infected with this disease. Roger, once you start traveling to different tracks and going to more and more races, there is no cure....except going to more and more races. Like a buddy of mine that owns a sprint car once said "I've got it bad.":checkered::foxcostanbrough:

2/1/08, 7:06 PM   #13
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
I've been preaching for a long time that our sport is very confusing to newcomers. Roger said it better than I can. I've tried to get announcers to "talk to the new folks", but they don't seem to want to do that.

This thread just sparked an idea, though. Why don't the regulars at each track set up some way to meet newcomers? Tell the announcer what you're doing. Set up a place to meet, and find a place for the newbies to sit near you. You can probably come up with some really good ideas.

Dick.
Dick, that is a great idea. I'll talk to Jiggs about setting that up at Gas City.:thumb And welcome to the board, Roger!:applaud::thumb

2/1/08, 7:46 PM   #14
Joe Snyder

Roger,

Take a look at the webpage I will link to below. It was written a few years ago by Rich Chesavage, who among others worked with JJ Yeley for quite awhile I believe. It is a very good read for the new or casual fan wanting to know more about the cars themselves.

http://www.scrafan.com/column/rich/rich01.html

2/1/08, 9:08 PM   #15
chadsniffsmethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snyder View Post
Roger,

Take a look at the webpage I will link to below. It was written a few years ago by Rich Chesavage, who among others worked with JJ Yeley for quite awhile I believe. It is a very good read for the new or casual fan wanting to know more about the cars themselves.

http://www.scrafan.com/column/rich/rich01.html
that is a good read...i like this part the most....

"Wings

I suppose this would be the logical time to talk about wings and why they make a car faster. But I don

2/2/08, 12:57 AM   #16
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Some great ideas here. However, I have to disagree with your first statement. The one about being old (63). Tonight at East Bay they had a contest for the oldest fan in the grandstand. The guy in front of me thought he had it won easily at age 78, and started to go to the announcer's booth. Came right back when they announced that they already had someone there who was 82. I am convinced that racing keeps us young (I am only 62). Anyway, welcome to the board. Once again, there are some absolutely great ideas in this thread. Perhaps we should spend some time this winter thinking about how to connect more, how to help new fans appreciate the sport, car pooling, etc. We have a bunch of people on this board who have really good ideas, and I am sure we could come up with some more good ones if we try.

Frank Daigh

2/2/08, 3:23 AM   #17
delaware

When i go to a new track i will try to find a old timer like myself to pick there brain about the track. I find they will fill you in who is who and who they don't like lol . Randy Smith

2/2/08, 7:09 AM   #18
Danny Burton

Roger, good that you posted this.

Now, my advice is to got to Bloomington and sit between John Hoover and Jerry Shaw. You will learn a lot, especially new words, believe it or not.

Then on Saturday, go to Lawrenceburg and sit between either Gregg Sauer and Marv Fish, or he is isn't walking around, Rich Hollmeyer. You will learn more new words and maybe a few German swear words too.

And at both places ignore that guy with the gray/white beard with the notebook. :thumb

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/2/08, 7:18 AM   #19
taz70739

Roger,

Mr Burton is being humble I'm sure that Danny would certainy be willing to help in providing information.

The notebook that he is referring to is actually a brown paper bag and orange crayon:rolling

Hey, Welcome to the Board.

2/2/08, 8:08 AM   #20
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Now, my advice is to got to Bloomington and sit between John Hoover and Jerry Shaw. You will learn a lot, especially new words, believe it or not.

:shoutOMG Danny, wouldn't that be considered cruel and inhuman punishment?:rolling

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends