IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends
2/1/08, 2:38 PM   #1
car pooling and meeting friends
Roger Macy

I am old (63) and a new spectator (3 years) to racing. My problem is that my wife will only go to races once a year which is the 4th of July to watch the fireworks and Bloomington puts on a wonderful show. A friend invited me to my first 3 or 4 races but he no longer attends on a regular bases. At this time when I go to the races I set by myself with no one to talk to. I am not a very outgoing person and find it very hard to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. I remember my first few races I didn

2/1/08, 4:10 PM   #2
Re: car pooling and meeting friends
OpenwheelRob

Welcome Roger!!

Good to see someone new and wanting to attend more races. Our group mainly attends Lawrenceburg but on occasion a few will run over to Bloomington, if you would like to run over to Lawrenceburg sometime we always have room for another. I'm the youngest of our racing group at 33, but the majority are 50+ and very knowledgeable and don't mind sharing their knowledge. If you have any interest you can PM me when you'd like to come and I'll save you a spot and a (insert drink of your choice here).

2/1/08, 4:36 PM   #3
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I've been preaching for a long time that our sport is very confusing to newcomers. Roger said it better than I can. I've tried to get announcers to "talk to the new folks", but they don't seem to want to do that.

This thread just sparked an idea, though. Why don't the regulars at each track set up some way to meet newcomers? Tell the announcer what you're doing. Set up a place to meet, and find a place for the newbies to sit near you. You can probably come up with some really good ideas.

Dick.

2/1/08, 5:23 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
I've been preaching for a long time that our sport is very confusing to newcomers. Roger said it better than I can. I've tried to get announcers to "talk to the new folks", but they don't seem to want to do that.

This thread just sparked an idea, though. Why don't the regulars at each track set up some way to meet newcomers? Tell the announcer what you're doing. Set up a place to meet, and find a place for the newbies to sit near you. You can probably come up with some really good ideas.

Dick.
Excellent idea Dick. We need to make newcomers welcome and spread the knowledge that so many on this board have about open wheel racing. Also, Roger if you see someone wearing IOW logo items don't be shy. Come over and introduce yourself and we will make you feel welcome. Some of the nicest people in the world can be found at the local short tracks all over the place.

2/1/08, 5:52 PM   #5
interpreter66

hey roger i hope you don't mind being in a big family ,because that's what we all are!(even though we dont always agree,just like family)

2/1/08, 6:00 PM   #6
Gregg

Welcome to IOW.com, Roger. I've met many racing friends on account of this great website. I hope you will do the same. Don't be shy. We may seem a little crazy (because we probably are) but we are a friendly bunch.

My home track is the 'burg but I hope to be at Bloomington for at least Sprint week or the Sheldon Kinser Memorial.

2/1/08, 6:03 PM   #7
Roger Macy

When I first started attending I felt that the announcers could do a better job but I think that they are so busy that it would be nearly imposable for them to do so. I think the announcers at Bloomington do a wonderful job with the time they have. I did enjoy qualifying just because it gave them a few seconds to talk about the driver. I started wearing headphones so that I can hear the announcers over the sound of the engines however the roar of the engines adds to the enjoyment of race. I guess you can

2/1/08, 6:09 PM   #8
1BIGracefan

Roger you are a new fan here is away to see the drivers.

2/1/08, 6:30 PM   #9
Roger Macy

I

2/1/08, 6:32 PM   #10
Jerry Spencer

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :rolling
Welcome to the board Roger you have come to the right place to find people that have the same disease that you have. (racing) I am sure by the time the racing season rolls around you will have a long list of new friends to hang out with at the track. Have a good time and the next time you are at the track get a pitpass and walk thru the pits, do not be afraid to walk up to a driver and start a conversation, as with our team I am sure you are welcome.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul and Josh Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > car pooling and meeting friends