IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar schedule in trouble
12/19/11, 4:07 PM   #11
Re: Indycar schedule in trouble
Johnhunt

Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
IndyCar needs to find talented drivers that we've all seen come up through the ranks. We've all witnessed Bryan Clauson race for at least nine years or more and progress to where he is one of the very best. We've followed Kyle Larsen, Chris Windom, Jacob Wilson, Coleman Gulick... for the past few seasons.

And it doesn't have to be limited to midget and sprint car drivers. Bring Star Mazda and Atlantics to Salem, Winchester and IRP to be part of a USAC or MustSee show. Maybe we could take a liking to these drivers as well if they come to our neck of the woods. Maybe this exchange will give IndyCar better oval drivers.

I, for one, have a tough time getting to know drivers that show up and suddenly has a ride at Indy to get on-the-job training.
I like what you say here. I'm all for USAC guys getting a fair shot at IndyCar. But i get a little tired of people complaining that there are "too many foreigners" in IndyCar. The argument should be "there are too many underqualified foreign drivers with deep pockets" in IndyCar. The likes of Franchitti, Kanaan, Scheckter, and Power add to the sport. Viso, Mutoh, and Savvedra do not. It would be fantastic if these guys could be replaced by the Bryan Clausons and Kyle Larsons of the world.

1 member likes this post: Colin Casserley
12/19/11, 4:56 PM   #12
Colin Casserley

Speaking as a Foreigner, I have to agree with most of what has been said on this thread.

There should be more of the many talented young drivers in the USA driving in Indy car. I don't see anything wrong in having some of the top Europeans or South Americans in the series but there are far too many average foreign drivers.

I think they should look at some of the tracks they race at, some of them are just not up to it.That applies to some ovals as well as road courses where races are nothing more than a high speed procession. I think it was Jack Hewitt ( Please correct me if I am wrong) who said something like "Passing should not be easy, but it should not be impossible"

It could be a great series, but needs the right tracks and drivers to make it succeed.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Johnhunt, short track scott, sprinter14
12/19/11, 10:10 PM   #13
racephoto1

Colin, you put it perfectly.

12/19/11, 11:17 PM   #14
Indy

I'm sad also about the lack of ovals on the schedule. Can you say IndycarT?

12/19/11, 11:35 PM   #15
dirt330

I agree that Indy Car needs more ovals and American drivers. Indy no matter what is still the greatest race in the world. Indy is and always will be Indy car. I've attended every race since 1959. It doesn't get any better than that with all the built up on raceday. The Kentucky Derby could have the horses ranked 400th. in the world but it's still The Kentucky Derby. I for one can't afford to go to any other Indy car races. Just happen that I believe Indiana has the best dirt tracks with non-wing races every week during the raacing season. With the price of tickets and travel I can attend ALL OF SPRINT WEEK, for the price of one good reserved seat to a NBA GAME, SUPER BOWL, KENTUCKY DERBY WORLD SERIES AND THE LIST CAN GO ON AND ON. I'am so greatfull for the great and thrilling racing we have in Indiana

12/20/11, 7:29 AM   #16

No matter what happens in Indy car people will still get on here and complain. Dan Weldon gets killed and Indy car is taking a very hard look at all of the ovals. They have decided not to run some until they can figure out the new car. Yet people still complain about the schedule. No matter where they run, I will be supporting them. You want local drivers running the series, you better get teaching them how to turn right. There are not many teams out there that just want to run ovals. The competitve teams run every single race.

12/20/11, 2:06 PM   #17
mikew

I was one of the 13,000 or so people that showed up for the Milwaukee race this year. The race was spectacular. We the fans made a big stink about losing Milwaukee in 2010... Randy Bernard managed to arrange a race at Milwaukee for us... Then nobody showed up, the new Milwaukee promoter lost a ton of money and IndyCar probably wont be back.... maybe not ever. Glad I got to see a race at The Mile....

Went to Kentucky this year. The race was again spectacular with Ed Carpenter finally winning at the track where he has finished 2nd twice, but again the crowds were nowhere to be seen.

In the end, the promoter is taking a risk that he will be able to sell enough tickets and sponsorships to offset the $1.3-1.5 million sanctioning fee that they have to pay to IndyCar. Apparently many oval promoters have looked at this value proposition and found IndyCar’s offering to be lacking. New Hampshire, Kentucky & Milwaukee will not be back for 2012. This joins Chicago & Homestead that bailed after 2010 and Kansas that bailed after 2009.

Sad….

3 members like this post: badgerfan, BrentTFunk, Johnhunt
12/20/11, 6:48 PM   #18
mortboyz

Sounds like the Illinois track promoters who are reluctant to run real Sprints and/or Midgets......With the exception of Little Belleville or Granite City, hard to show a profit if the fans don't show.....

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, Red Hat
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar schedule in trouble