IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar schedule in trouble
12/18/11, 2:07 PM   #1
Indycar schedule in trouble
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Seems like Indycar is having problems filling their race schedule. I'm not sure how many races they need to have to fulfill their contract with IZOD, but presently they don't have enough.

I heard they are down to only three ovals for 2012! How sad is that.

I have a suggestion. How about putting the Silver Crown cars and races back on the schedule toward the championship, just like the Glory Days of Championship racing.

I'm sure everyone on this board would gladly pay to see Helio, Kanaan, Dixon & others run Terre Haute, Eldora, Springfield and the other tracks against the likes of Darland, Stanbrough and all of our USAC heroes.

I don't want to hear it's impossible to do either. Plenty of Big Cars sitting out there idle right now. They could be rented or bought for far less than what it costs to replace one of the currents cars sidepods or tubs when they crash.

Time for Randy Bernard to step up to the plate and restore dirt back to the Championship Trail.

12/18/11, 2:45 PM   #2
Re: Indycar schedule in trouble
Spi-nex

They need 16 races to fulfill the contract obligation to IZod.

If they want to be successful in America, then they need to stop trying to cram their vision or racing down America's throat and focus on giving good competitive, side by side racing with more home grown drivers. Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan, etc, while they may be good people who have worked very hard to get where they are, do not entice me to want to attend races or watch on TV, but the prospect of having someone like Bryan Clauson race gets me excited enough to start opening my wallet and start buying tickets.

I've only been to 1 IndyCar race in my life, and it was the single most enjoyable professional race I had ever been to, but they need to focus on producing the best possible side-by-side racing (ie. get off the dang street courses and narrow road courses.)

12/18/11, 4:22 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

I think they would run more ovals, but ISC refuses to run them anymore. Phoenix, Kansas City, Chicagoland, all were great tracks, but I think the NASCAR folks that owned them were afraid to show a better product to the fans.

12/18/11, 9:54 PM   #4
racephoto1

People want to watch who they know. Go to a Nascrap race, Stenhouse, Leffler, Whitt, Dakoda Armstrong, Stewart , Newman, and so many more. You watch who you know. Also there is a chance to see these guys run local also. Leffler and Newman in Champ Dirt cars, Armstrong and Stewart in midgets , Stewart in WoO, and the list goes on.

Indycar, who runs more than just Indy cars? Nobody who runs the local stuff, and the local stuff draws your fan base.

The Indycar series will never outdraw Nascrap, until the field has more local ( American) butts in their cockpits. Guys like Clauson are the boost they need, not some name you can't pronounce, with deep pockets and little experiance.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Mud Packer, oldbutnew, Ricks Pics
12/18/11, 10:47 PM   #5
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

When the most famous names from USAC's past have IndyCar teams and hire foreign drivers, what hope can we possibly have?

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, koolaid89, smith19
12/19/11, 7:55 AM   #6
treecitytornado

When the IRL first started, it was on the right track! All ovals and a ton of Sprint Car and Midget Drivers, and a majority of the field of was American for a change!
Now we have more and more road/street courses, and more foreign drivers, looks too much like the old CART!

Posted via Mobile Device

12/19/11, 8:51 AM   #7
racephoto1

Road racing died in this country after the Vanderbilt cup in the 30's, for Champ Cars. The interest in road racing for Champ cars didn't have a resurgance until the rear engined revolution, roadsters don't turn right very well.

As for side by side racing, Milwaukee, Indy , Phoenix all had it before the split.

As for high speed ovals, run them, you just need racers that know how to do it. Most goes in Indycar are now road racers, and they only pass when they pass somebody making a pit stop. They aren't known for passing on the track.

A perfect example was when Clauson went three wide at Indy, a great move and done cleanly. Unfortunately he passed two road racers, and scared the crap out of them. They need to learn what the oval track guys know, it's called racing for a reason, it isn't follow the leader until someone falls out, then I'll get a position.

12/19/11, 12:36 PM   #8
Gregg

IndyCar needs to find talented drivers that we've all seen come up through the ranks. We've all witnessed Bryan Clauson race for at least nine years or more and progress to where he is one of the very best. We've followed Kyle Larsen, Chris Windom, Jacob Wilson, Coleman Gulick... for the past few seasons.

And it doesn't have to be limited to midget and sprint car drivers. Bring Star Mazda and Atlantics to Salem, Winchester and IRP to be part of a USAC or MustSee show. Maybe we could take a liking to these drivers as well if they come to our neck of the woods. Maybe this exchange will give IndyCar better oval drivers.

I, for one, have a tough time getting to know drivers that show up and suddenly has a ride at Indy to get on-the-job training.

3 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Checker'd Past, Mud Packer
12/19/11, 12:47 PM   #9
mortboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Road racing died in this country after the Vanderbilt cup in the 30's, for Champ Cars. The interest in road racing for Champ cars didn't have a resurgance until the rear engined revolution, roadsters don't turn right very well.

As for side by side racing, Milwaukee, Indy , Phoenix all had it before the split.

As for high speed ovals, run them, you just need racers that know how to do it. Most goes in Indycar are now road racers, and they only pass when they pass somebody making a pit stop. They aren't known for passing on the track.

A perfect example was when Clauson went three wide at Indy, a great move and done cleanly. Unfortunately he passed two road racers, and scared the crap out of them. They need to learn what the oval track guys know, it's called racing for a reason, it isn't follow the leader until someone falls out, then I'll get a position.
Chris.....it's called "overtaking", not "passing".....LMAO

4 members like this post: Checker'd Past, dirtnonwingfan, Mud Packer, Tom23
12/19/11, 2:29 PM   #10

taking your time is not always a bad thing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar schedule in trouble