IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racers
7/21/11, 2:43 AM   #31
Re: Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racer
Joe Whisler

I am a local racer, a low buck racer, a budget racer.... whatever you want to call it. I prefer it as a single tire rule as it is now. As it is right now, I take 4 right rears with me each night. I roll them out and have them mounted on different offset wheels as I see fit. I can't imagine if I had to factor in more than one tire. I don't have the extra money or the space in my 24ft trailer for that.

If you search back on this site, this comes up at least once a year, and has been debated from the beginning. This being my first year to have a dog in this fight, this is my first time I've "voted" with my opinion. I hope it stays as is.

1 member likes this post: Dannypollock24
7/21/11, 2:55 AM   #32
Dannypollock24

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 30 +

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Danny, you need to wake up and talk to people that are competitive. Yes you used to be able to get many races out of one and still run up front,but that's not the case anymore. Yes, you can keep running your USAC hand me downs if you like but personally im not happy with just being there. Some guys are.
Posted via Mobile Device
I ran just fine on used with guys with new ones and yes a harder compound last a lot longer than others! FYI no I am not just happy to be there That was a stupid Statement about me when you Don't even know me! Seems like USAC and almost everyone agrees with me since they all copied what LPS started! Run your brand new tires every night I see many guys get beat by guys with used tires all the time! Good luck the rest of your season!

Danny 24

1 member likes this post: hairracer44
7/21/11, 7:22 AM   #33
4wheelsinthekoosh

Every time I see one of these threads about tires and monopolies blah blah blah it chaps my a!!. I have been running the dt3 for ever it seems like and have won alot of races on 3 to 4 race old tires. I don't want to have to go back to having the choice cause it would cost to damn much. To have a 10, rd12, 15, and a dt3 in the trailer thats 4 tires not including wheels. Cause let's be honest who wants to mount tires at the track in this hot weather. Hoosier has done there home work and has provided us racers with a tire that we can run for a few nights not just one and is still breaking the track records of the softer tires. But the real sad thing here is the the people who are ******** would still be ******** if there was no rule or competeing companies.
Billy Puterbaugh
Posted using Mobile Device

7/21/11, 9:15 AM   #34
Cincinnati Kid

The DT3 isn't the problem. It's the fact that nobody really knows how to police it on the local levels. I've had my RR durometer checked at USAC shows, but the weekly shows don't do it. If you make a tire rule then you need to be able to prove to the racers that it can be enforced. I've spoken to promoters about this to no avail.

The BOSS series has a good thing going with having to run the same RR in the heat and feature. It might be a good option for other tracks as well.

I was told by a Hoosier employee that the DT3 is good for one heat cycle. After that you have to do some prep to regain some bite. They do tend to glaze over after a run and you need to keep the tire up to temp. That's why you see some guys breaking the tires loose during caution laps and grinding on them in the pits.

The DT3 tire isn't "killing" anyone. You just need to be a little smarter to get all the life out of it.

2 members like this post: Dannypollock24, R A K
7/21/11, 12:30 PM   #35
treecitytornado

FYI I do know who you are. Good luck to you to.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/21/11, 12:53 PM   #36
deannalynn

Just out of curiousity, whatever happened with Firestone sprint car tires? If there wasn't money in it for them, perhaps we should be thankful to Hoosier Tire for their charity work by making sprint car tires.
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/21/11 at 1:13 PM.

7/21/11, 1:31 PM   #37
mikeham73

I think the local tracks should follow the example set by the WoO. Send the winners tires to a lab and if they're found to be legal give them a polygraph. :2:
Posted using Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Cincinnati Kid
7/21/11, 1:37 PM   #38
smith19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeham73 View Post
i think the local tracks should follow the example set by the woo. Send the winners tires to a lab and if they're found to be legal give them a polygraph. :2:
posted using mobile device
if there found illegal shoot the whole team....now that would fix the problem....

2 members like this post: jim goerge, mikeham73
7/21/11, 1:43 PM   #39
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
Well it's a good thing these choices have been made for everyone so nobody has to think for themselves and try different tire/track combinations or anything that involves some thinking and knowledge of the tracks. I think I see what's going on now.

Here's a great idea... pave all the tracks so they are exactly the same and the set-up is the same for each one. As a bonus, fans will never complain about the dirt,mud, or dust. Build a factory so that all of the cars are exactly the same. Same engines, same chassis, same tires. Paint them different colors so the fans can tell a difference. This concept worked so well for IndyCar. They had 34-35 cars at the big race this year! For their last race of the season, they might even have 33 cars left if NASCAR comes and helps them out.

Guess we would be able to find the best drivers then?
This is the another great debate this board has about the DT3, but in all actuality if a poll was taken on the car owners, (which are the ones who really only matter in this situation because they foot the bill), I'm guessing most are all in favor of the rule and like the idea of only having to buy one compound tire. That's what it boiled down to, saving money wherever you can since you have to have the best of everything else to win nowadays.

2 members like this post: Dannypollock24, Hubie
7/21/11, 2:03 PM   #40
treecitytornado

I promise everyone could save more money and have a tire that would last forever with an American Racer MC2 or MC3.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier DT3 Tire Rule Killing Local Racers