IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's happening to the Burg
6/15/11, 4:11 PM   #21
Re: What's happening to the Burg
REH24

[QUOTE=Dyno Don;233183]I gave up on The 'Burg two years ago. They harrass you if you do not buy their beer, run to many classes (this can be said for other tracks as well) and just do not to be fan friendly, like a track like Bloomington is.

I have been attending races at Lawrenceburg Speedway and the motorcycle track (along side the Speedway) since 1962 and have yet to be harrass by the police, management, or anyone else connected with these tracks for anything. I am sure there are plenty of other attendees that can say the same thing. DynoDon did you ever think "you" might be the problem and not the track personnel. Keep up the good work Dave and Kim as you have been doing.

REH

6/15/11, 4:23 PM   #22
Wrench Turner

Man, there sure is a lot of hate for the "support classes". Some of the best races that I've seen have been in modified, super stock and bomber classes. Hell, I don't even mind the hornets. Personally, I really appreciate that those guys are out there running their asses off for anywhere from $200 to $600 to win. Anyway, carry on.

6/15/11, 4:41 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Whats wrong with taking care of the drivers that support you en masse on a weekly basis? Kim I seen you liked what Cecil said...are you not happy with the amount of Modifieds you guys get? I encourage our guys at Brownstown to go run at the Burg when we dont race them. And im not an advocate for tin tops, im an advocate for RACING.
Nothings wrong with supporting the mods. By why do you dump on the Sprint cars when doing so?

2 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge
6/15/11, 4:50 PM   #24
dustbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupp#9 View Post
Dave no matter what you do someone will *****.. When the tracks heavy its all about motor so us locals can't run with the big teams and plus there isn't as much passing.. The only reason we ate up tires last week is because all the midgets plus us lade down rubber, when it's slick you can pass on it and it's also easy on the motors, and most fans dont see that why have it heavy and rough on that big of a track someone will just get Hurt and if you don have a big motor you better stay home
Posted using Mobile Device
I think it was by far easier to pass on opening night when the track was heavy than it has been ever since.

6/15/11, 4:54 PM   #25
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

I dont dump on Sprint Cars ever. Sprint Cars are what ive grown up on. Kevin Huntley was my babysitter of all people. My grandma made cookies for Jeff Gordon because "he couldnt race at Bloomington without having one of her Sugar Cookies". Knowing that Gordon used to come over and help my uncle work on his "tintop" before they went to Bloomington to race is a pretty cool deal, even if he could barely see over the roof.
Last edited by Chris Nunn; 6/15/11 at 4:56 PM.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/15/11, 4:55 PM   #26
Phylo82

Three classes a night is a pretty good number. Last Saturday at Waynesfield there were 5 classes and two make-up features. It was after 12:30am when we left the track. I think I pulled in the driveway around 2:45am.....that's a long night.

As for L'Burg, I think they do a pretty good job with their schedule.....it's been a rough year weather-wise and the extended down-turn in the economy isn't helping matters.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

6/15/11, 4:56 PM   #27
5JMOFFATTFAN!

im a wing guy ! Love non wings to but really enjoy the wings so i think it stinks! But i do understand indiana just isnt a wing state! On the other hand all those who bash the wings dont come to bloomington for the woo show cause there wont be a place to sit!! Also i beleive the dick gaines race two years was great if i serve corectly they all ran two heat races and lineuped a by passing points. And paid 10,000 .... Great night of racing wish they raced for passing points every week!!
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Wingman
6/15/11, 4:59 PM   #28
aelson27

I am confused? Here I am reading this thread and I read about needing a big motor, not paying enough, blah blah blah. We have all heard this last year and the year before. I would like to put a racer's perspective one this.

I find it hilarious that The Burg has the largest winners purse on a weekly basis plus the largest overall payout yet this arguement remains. Dave works his butt off to make sure we all get treated fairly and redid his pay structure from last year to accomodate everybody. Plus, never has he ever cut his pay regardless of car count.

As well as the big motor debate. Last year all I had was one Dash 12 motor. No All Pro or even a back up. Yet I ran The Burg on a weekly basis plus Gas City Friday and Kokomo the next day. Heck, my first win EVER came at the burg with the Dash 12. Can we drop this one finally? All of us are sick of it.

The "Big Races" issue: Raise your hand if you went to watch those races. Dave is a business man. If people aren't going to show up to watch, he won't ask the series to come back. If you want to see it, go out and see it. Don't blame Dave for deciding to cut races off the schedule that don't make money. He has a business to run.

As for the complaint about not being fan friendly... seriously? The front stretch redraw, the tee-shirt gun, the themed nights, the bikini contest! All of those take place for the fans. Plus the racing. The staff there is some of the nicest and best in the land. I'm sorry if you don't like Bud Light, but when the track is being sponsered by the Budweiser it is their duty to sell it. I hear they have some lovely sodas and water for sale there as well.

I also saw a modified argument on here. Why? They put on a great show week in and week out. I love being able to watch some of their races. Why are we all hot and bothered because they show up and put on a good show? Don't fans want to see that? I know when I leave the suit at home I enjoy watching them. Grab some Buds (or ice cold Cokes in my case), sit down, relax, and enjoy the show.

All this leaves now is the tires arguement. This one holds some water, tires are chewed up down there. But, I'm sorry, do people really believe this is Dave's master plan? To destroy the tires of all his loyal supporters. Dave has heard all this already and I'm sure in more polite and constructive ways. I am also sure that he is looking into solving this issue ASAP while keeping the racing good.

I hope this covers everything that has been or will be mentioned. If not, I hear Kroger has some lovely cheese for that whine... sorry, I meant wine.

6/15/11, 5:12 PM   #29
BIGEBUDMAN

I have never left Lawrenceburg being dissapointed in 4 yrs now and I go alot. I have canceled all my tix to Eldora( which is much closer) because of the genuine great racing and fan friendly experience at the Burg. The company I work for and myself now do most of our racing entertaining at the Burg now instead of Eldora. Dave and Kim know how to treat fans and have a awesome venue to show off.

I consider it the premier facility in the tri-state, complimented by the Rudisells! We will be there this Saturday night with 2 new people and 2 other people we introduced to lburg last year that have gave up on Eldora as well!

6/15/11, 6:03 PM   #30
amiller24m

Race Count This Year: 12

I have run L'burg twice, once with a wing, once without, I loved it, both times, Racing is going to use up your equipment, period. If you bought new tires that you didn't want to chew up, then sell your race car and do something else with your time. I have seen far too many posts on this site bashing the heck out of every track for not doing this or that or why do car counts suffer, mostly from fans, We drivers/ owners/ promoters know what it takes too put on a show for all the fans, money, and a lot of it, racing on any local level is more likely than not a losing venture, but we punish ourselves in order to race week in week out, for ourselves but mostly for the fans. I moved from WI 2 years ago and I cannot even put into perspective how awesome it is that there is more than one track running sprint cars Friday nights, and Saturday nights, and sometimes even Sunday, I came from a series that had 1 track to run Friday night and 1 track Saturday, and very often those were the only 2 tracks that ran sprints in the entire state! And god forbid it rained one or both nights, because you didn't even have an option to run at a different track so there you sat, all weekend. My example is this, I was on hwy 46 heading towards Bloomington last year and they cancelled because of the heat, so instead of going home, I turned onto 37 north and went to Gas City. Then this year, I was going to run Paragon, and surprise, it rained, so I kept straight on 231 left on 40 and wound up at LPS. I could keep going because its happened to me a half dozen times or more as a fan and driver/owner, but I think most of you get the point, L'burg is just another one of Indiana's options for a sprint car, modified etc to run, I understand car counts have suffered at L'burg but by the end of this year and even next year, all racing car counts are going to be down, tracks will shut down, and fans will be upset, but sitting on a computer crying about every little thing doesn't put your butt in a seat and your money in a track operators hand to distribute to the drivers putting on a show. If people want to see things fixed, go to a track, any track for any reason; if there is a class, driver, series you want to see, pay the admission, and enjoy. It could be worse.....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's happening to the Burg