IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora's new policy
2/16/11, 10:45 AM   #11
Re: Eldora's new policy
GregD

Seadog, I agree with you completely on Eldora. It is sad to see what it has become. For so many years this was a must see track but now it is best to just be a memory.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Seadog
2/16/11, 12:17 PM   #12
racerjim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I can't even drive at night anymore. I maybe can sneak in a trip to the "Burg in at night, 33 miles one-way versus Eldora, 125 miles one-way. So I will never have a chance to go to Eldora ever again. Been going there since 1965.

But maybe that's OK though. What used to be one of my favorite fan-friendly feel-good tracks is no more. I used to just buy a GA ticket, walk in and sit down wherever I wanted. Usually on the hill in turn four in a lawn chair, way before terraces and seats and suites were put in. Bernice sold reseved seats for $1 in the top three(?) rows. Seems they are trying to NASCAR-ize (bastardize) Eldora too much. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck, but too many rules and regulations about where you can or can't sit unless you come up with more $$$. It sort of leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

So Eldora will have to be just a memory for me from now on.

OK, I'll quit griping now.
Greg, I have the same problem. Can't drive at night has limited my racing and i get really upset about it. At least you have a track like Lawrenceburg near by...I only have taxi cab tracks close to me. As far as Eldora, I don't miss it so much for exactly the same reasons as you. Rules, rules, rules I guess I'm just not a modern day fan who buys his tickets a year in advance. At my age who knows if I'll be here in a year.

2 members like this post: Seadog, TQ29m
2/16/11, 2:08 PM   #13
thebus79h

Didn't know about the if they weren't sold by 5 they ended up selling them. We've never bought reserved seats, we just show up the day of the race and buy them.

People can say what they want about Eldora, and the past few years it's been terrible, but I can remember NUMEROUS dusty nights when Earl had it too. There are definite problems there, and not denying that one bit.

Crazy thing is wasn't there a thread a few days ago about how "nobody would care if tickets went up a few dollars" to help out the promoter and the drivers?

2/16/11, 2:16 PM   #14
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Poor ole tony needs the money

2/16/11, 4:04 PM   #15
ThrowbackRacingTeam

It's kind of a catch 22. You want to support your favorite tracks no
matter what so they can stay open, but if you don't approve of track
prep or ticket policies it makes it awfully hard to keep going. I lean towards going no matter what because the people in charge right now won't be there forever. So, i try to go anyway but I let them know how I feel about the job they are doing, good or bad.

2/16/11, 7:31 PM   #16
Modocer 57

Have been going to Eldora since 1960, but the last 3-4 years of poor track conditions have driven me away. Will make a few 350 mile trips to Terre Haute rather than 60 miles to the E.

2/18/11, 2:35 AM   #17
Need For Speed

It was just another way for Earl to make a buck, and now Tony is really trying to cash in.

They haven't packed a USAC race at Eldusta in how long??............. So IMO, paying extra $$ for a reserved seat is dumb.

Show up, buy a ticket, and sit down...simple as that!

BTW, whoever pays for a reserved seat, just to sit on the concrete wall from the pit gate to the grandstand, seriously needs their head examined!

Several times in the past, about time for the 2nd heat, here comes some clown (and his woman) with his tickets out, looking at the wall and walking slow. Sure enough, he makes people move that have been in that spot since before hot laps. Even if the people only have to move 5', it's BS. You can hear the dude say, 'Sorry but you are in my seats'

2/18/11, 8:51 AM   #18
hoosierdaddy

Can somebody try and explain to me why you need a RESERVED TICKET in the 1st place??????? I've been going to Eldora for 20 years and never (paid extra) for a reserved seat and have never had a bad spot to watch from. I sit all over the place too! I think it's hilarious how dumb people can be to pay "extra money" for a "special ticket" when it's not necessary. Oh, and then get on the internet and whine about it...LMAO

2/18/11, 9:08 AM   #19
SteveD

Wing dings and Mud taxi extravaganzas makes the money, USAC pays the overhead. Buying a seat there is like a box of choclates. They are still on probation for our interainment dollar. I can hardly wait till they get it right, we'll be the first ones in line. Till then we'll race around Hoosierland. I can think of six tracks in Indiana I'd rather spend our racing dollars.

2 members like this post: duel, jim goerge
2/20/11, 11:23 AM   #20
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
Can somebody try and explain to me why you need a RESERVED TICKET in the 1st place??????? I've been going to Eldora for 20 years and never (paid extra) for a reserved seat and have never had a bad spot to watch from. I sit all over the place too! I think it's hilarious how dumb people can be to pay "extra money" for a "special ticket" when it's not necessary. Oh, and then get on the internet and whine about it...LMAO
I'm not sure what i agree with and what i don't agree with on the whole reserved ticket thing but i'm saying sometimes for us who have to travel 8 hours to get to a track having a reserved seat eases your mind depending on what time you arrive at the track.

2 members like this post: erich45, Pine
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora's new policy