IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/North Wilkesboro
1/27/11, 7:19 PM   #1
USAC/North Wilkesboro
micro94

I posted this in the results page and didnt realize it.The Silver Crown cars run at North Wilkesboro and I see the USAC Midgets run at the Milwaukee Mile and North Wilkesboro.The miles are big for the mighty midgets.I remember when they ran the HUT 100 every year at the Indiana State Fairgrounds (which I wish they still did).But does anybody know what size track North Wilkesboro is?

1/27/11, 7:43 PM   #2
Re: USAC/North Wilkesboro
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I believe NASCAR says it's 5/8 mile.

1/27/11, 10:54 PM   #3
USAC/North Wilkesboro,N.C.!!.....
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
I believe NASCAR says it's 5/8 mile.
Correct you are Dick!!...National Spdway Dir. states high banked 5/8...4 mi.E.of N.Wilkesboro,N.C...381 Speedway Ln. 28659 on US 421 to Speedway Rd...(704)808-1049...www.historicnws.com sched. reopening 2010....July 23,2011...USAC Silver Crown w/Mopar Natl Midgets!!......
Last edited by AustinSprinter; 1/27/11 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added info.......

1/28/11, 12:06 AM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

It is also a rather unique track. If memory serves me correctly, the turns are not the same. One end (open end) being slightly bigger than the other and the back stretch goes downhill while the front stretch goes up hill. Been a few years since I have been there, but all in all a neat little bullring.

http://www.racewithpass.com/index_SO...oro_aerial.jpg

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 1/28/11 at 12:08 AM.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
1/28/11, 11:36 AM   #5
Seadog

I started a similar thread for this about a month ago. https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...rth+wilkesboro

I was there several years back, right around the time they closed it. It was a pretty nice track back then. I don't know if I would call it high banked though - maybe 15°?

I would love to go, but it will be as always about the $$$ I have as the date approaches.

Some pics of it at this website: http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten....o_speedway.htm

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, dirtnonwingfan
1/28/11, 12:55 PM   #6
USAC/North Wilkesboro,N.C.!!..July 23,2011...
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Agreed Greg....I'm thinkin they classify "High Banked" anything over 10* of banking!!.....hopefully teams/fans will support USAC's effort to attempt to get this historic series back on track!!..........

1 member likes this post: Seadog
1/29/11, 2:27 AM   #7
AlkyMadness

I'll be there. Thankful to get one USAC National event in our area this year. Also hoping the race is supported by the fans better than the midget event at Hickory last year.

Will also be interesting to see how slick this track gets. Wilkesboro has no lights, so it will be the first race that I know of to be run in the hottest part of the year. Late July is a scorcher. All the NASCAR events were always run in Spring and Fall.

For those wondering, the front straight does run downhill and 1/2 appears to be a tighter than 3/4.

If this event continues into 2012, perhaps the midgets can run Friday night at Ace Speedway. Ace will be hosting the Carolina Ford Focus series five times this year on Fridays. Great track and Brad Allen is a great promoter. Hopefully the relationship with USAC can grow (especially since it's my hometown track).

1/29/11, 12:27 PM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyMadness View Post
I'll be there. Thankful to get one USAC National event in our area this year. Also hoping the race is supported by the fans better than the midget event at Hickory last year.

Will also be interesting to see how slick this track gets. Wilkesboro has no lights, so it will be the first race that I know of to be run in the hottest part of the year. Late July is a scorcher. All the NASCAR events were always run in Spring and Fall.

For those wondering, the front straight does run downhill and 1/2 appears to be a tighter than 3/4.

If this event continues into 2012, perhaps the midgets can run Friday night at Ace Speedway. Ace will be hosting the Carolina Ford Focus series five times this year on Fridays. Great track and Brad Allen is a great promoter. Hopefully the relationship with USAC can grow (especially since it's my hometown track).
Alky,

Thanks for the correction. It has been a number of years since I was there and I knew that one straightaway was uphill while the other was downhill. I just had it backwards. A very unique track and I hope that the USAC guys put on a great show.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/30/11, 2:05 AM   #9
ColoradoFan

The Hut100 was always run at Terre Haute on Sunday after the Hoosier 100 was run on Saturday at the fairgrounds, back in the day. The midgets never ran the fairgrounds during my time that I can recall. The sprint cars did a few times, the most noteable being the night before the 500 when Foyt won. That weekend after Labor Day with the two races back to back was alway a can't miss for anyone that was a USAC fan.

Vern Plotts

1/30/11, 4:02 AM   #10
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Wasnt there a usac sprint car race scheduled there a few years back but got cancelled.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/North Wilkesboro