IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin
9/7/10, 6:47 PM   #11
Re: Interesting night at DuQuoin
illiNOISE

The reasons for the poor track prep on the miles has been discussed on here ad nausea. Time to turn the page.

As for the infield grass, it's one thing to expect a promoter of a privately leased or owned track to mow the pits. It's quite another when it's public tax dollars paying for the mowing, especially when the state's finances are such a train wreck.

I'm thinking we should just be thankful the State even still puts on these Fairs, much less the races.

1 member likes this post: billwill7
9/7/10, 6:52 PM   #12
ThePurple73

Maybe someone can speak up that really knows what the surface was like. To me it seemed like the surface was thrown off quickly and then they were down to a hard packed dry dirt base and then laid down rubber on that. That become the groove. If the track was uniform then you would have thought someone would have had enough engine to pass on the outside. I could be wrong, but I can't remember seeing an outside pass all night long.
The reason I was wondering about the surface mixture is I think they ran harness racing horses earlier in the week. I don't believe you can run horses on a harder surface like that.
So I was wondering if what was thrown off the groove was real lofty sand/dirt mixture and hard to get traction of any kind.
If the track was truly taking moisture as the night went on I would have throught there would be passing all over the place like we have seen before at night at Duquoin.

I don't get the 51 lap intermission at all. These cars can go 100 laps, obviously. They should also run time trials just as others have said.

One thing I thought was sad. A lot of people didn't understand the 51st lap stop and the non-tire change cars started up-front on the restart.
A large part of the crowd near me didn't understand what took place.
They kept asking why and that it didn't seem fair to the guy that was so clearly out front.
I had to agree with them.

One other comment: The announcing for the Silver Crown race was superb. I could really stand to hear that type of professionalism at Sprint Car races I attend.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 9/7/10 at 6:54 PM.

9/7/10, 7:22 PM   #13
usac99

For those who do not understand the "new twin 50's. If you change a tire under the red flag you go to the tail of the field. Swanson and Todd Kane ran american racer tires so they knew they could go the distance.The rest of the field tried running them down with new right rears and couldn't get the job done. So not only did they finish up front, but they also saved there car owner $450.00 . so good job guys!!!!!!!!

9/7/10, 9:04 PM   #14
Sawdust101

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
I hated group qualifying - horrible idea - ZERO drama, and no chance for casual fans to learn about the drivers

As to the race, yep.... This story is all about track prep. Todd Kane did a good job to hang on to third, but there is no way that he suddenly became so fast that Coons and Darland couldn't get by him. Group qualifying stunk and so did the track

I to love this series and particularly SC cars in the dirt miles, but USAC and Sargent need to respond on this one. Get rid of group qualifying and get Tommy Helfrich to do track prep!
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont think I could sit there for 4 hours to watch Tommy's tractors go around the DuQuoin mile. I say that because it takes an hour at Tri State and it a 1/4 mile just time it next time and see what I'm talking about. DuQuoin was a good race and I will be back!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: awnunn
9/7/10, 9:27 PM   #15
David Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust101 View Post
I dont think I could sit there for 4 hours to watch Tommy's tractors go around the DuQuoin mile. I say that because it takes an hour at Tri State and it a 1/4 mile just time it next time and see what I'm talking about. DuQuoin was a good race and I will be back!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but TSS is not hard as a rock like concrete, like was DuQuoin. If you don't want to see the best racing surface (for non-wing sprints) in the country then don't go to TSS. I have been at a few other sprint tracks that waste a lot of time at intermission and don't touch the track, (take more time than Tommy does to rework TSS) that is rough & needs be reworked.

9/7/10, 9:33 PM   #16
Sawdust101

DuQuoin mile is a horse track and we get to use it for our racing and it works. This also goes for Springfield and the Indiana Fair grounds. Lets Race.

9/7/10, 10:02 PM   #17
DanGitt

I got to DuQuoin early Sunday morning and the track looked hard and packed, all they did was add some water throughout the day. In the past, I thought they plowed the track up more.

9/7/10, 10:29 PM   #18
peacedaddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust101 View Post
DuQuoin mile is a horse track and we get to use it for our racing and it works. This also goes for Springfield and the Indiana Fair grounds. Lets Race.
I agree 100% Tommy tears up his track so much the drivers don't even know what it's going to be like when they come back out. Another thing is many people talk about how it makes the track nicer. Out of all all the tracks I go to TSS only gets outdone by Eldora when it comes to dirt on the fans. I'm sad DuQuoin was rock hard and slicked over but again it is a horsetrack.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/7/10, 10:49 PM   #19
miledirt

I can't remember...
What was the deal the year Tobias won at DuQuoin at night?

Did it rain all day or what? I just remember that there was a cushion and he rode it all the way to the wall and to the win.

9/8/10, 12:18 AM   #20
Sprint63122

Per the earlier reply you are correct the mile tracks where actually done a lot better in the 80's and the racing a lot better then.When things started going down hill was when the person that was in charge of the IL. tracks passed away in the early 90's some how sargent was let in here.First thing was to double your admission ticket with no increase in the payout for the car owner's and driver's since he has been in charge and declining crowd counts especially in springfield.The latest cluster ***** idea was the red flag at lap 51 was glad to hear that 1 and 3 was on american racers and they made it a full 100 laps unlike them piece of chit hoosier tires maybe the people who bought the two hoosier tires to make it to a 100 laps should send a bill to track enterprises has it was sargent's idea anyway.Has for the person on the track prep for Haubstadt tommy can completely redo the whole track in 20 minutes and they are a lot of promoters who should take note on how to run a place like this especially the one mentioned above here.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin