IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin
9/6/10, 4:09 PM   #1
Interesting night at DuQuoin
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Well, I was certainly surprised to see the only two cars that didn't change tires finish first and third. Don't know what happened to Coons; faded to 15th after leading the first 51 laps. DD moved from 9th to 3rd before the break, restarted 5th, ran high as 4th but Hmiel passed him near the end, and he finished 5th. I still wonder what would have been the outcome if they hadn't had the break.
Appearance of the infield was the worst I have ever seen. It hadn't been mowed and it really presented a bad image of the fair.
Parking was raised to $7, so maybe they generated enough money to properly care for the grounds.
The horse stables appeared to be freshly painted, and that was a definite positive
Weather was great and we had a good time, but it seems DD just can't buy a win at DuQuoin.

3 members like this post: dirtball, dirtnonwingfan, team3521
9/6/10, 11:02 PM   #2
Re: Interesting night at DuQuoin
mortboyz

I agree Ron. The infield looked absolutely terrible, at was once one of, if not the most beautiful race track in the country.
By next year it might look like Pocono, with deer romping through the tall grass...
Last edited by mortboyz; 9/6/10 at 11:03 PM.

9/7/10, 12:36 AM   #3
ThePurple73

It seems like the Canadian Geese along turns 1 and 2 on the water always watch the race.

9/7/10, 8:09 AM   #4
Sawdust101

I still like the mile tracks. I know the cars can go 100 laps so why the change with a stop at lap 51? It was like watching two 50 lap features. The first one didn't count so just pace your self make car changes and run hard the last 50.

9/7/10, 8:54 AM   #5
sprntr

Both of the cars that ran the full distance without a tire change were on American Racer tires.

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust101 View Post
I still like the mile tracks. I know the cars can go 100 laps so why the change with a stop at lap 51? It was like watching two 50 lap features. The first one didn't count so just pace your self make car changes and run hard the last 50.
How can you possibly criticize the wonderful new format?

It made for a much more exicting freight-train and sold an extra $400 in tires per team for Hoosier!

If they want to add excitement, they should try TRACK PREP!!

9/7/10, 2:10 PM   #6
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
Both of the cars that ran the full distance without a tire change were on American Racer tires.

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

How can you possibly criticize the wonderful new format?

It made for a much more exciting freight-train and sold an extra $400 in tires per team for Hoosier!

If they want to add excitement, they should try TRACK PREP!!
I totally agree with all of the above. I've never understood how they get those mile dirt tracks to become what is in effect an asphalt surface; there is virtually no dust and the surface is hard as concrete. I can remember when there used to be rooster tails thrown high into the air in the turns, at least in qualifying and the early laps of the race.
Oh, yes, qualifying! Does anyone like group qualifying and whose idea was it?

9/7/10, 2:29 PM   #7
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Well, I was certainly surprised to see the only two cars that didn't change tires finish first and third. Don't know what happened to Coons; faded to 15th after leading the first 51 laps. DD moved from 9th to 3rd before the break, restarted 5th, ran high as 4th but Hmiel passed him near the end, and he finished 5th. I still wonder what would have been the outcome if they hadn't had the break.
Appearance of the infield was the worst I have ever seen. It hadn't been mowed and it really presented a bad image of the fair.
Parking was raised to $7, so maybe they generated enough money to properly care for the grounds.
The horse stables appeared to be freshly painted, and that was a definite positive
Weather was great and we had a good time, but it seems DD just can't buy a win at DuQuoin.
Ron,

The State of Illinois it seems is hurting worse from the economic situation that Indiana is. Most of our travel down to DuQuoin is by interstate and the medians don't look like they have been mown this summer. I also noticed that there were fewer state troopers on the fairgrounds as in the past.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/7/10, 2:42 PM   #8
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Ron,

The State of Illinois it seems is hurting worse from the economic situation that Indiana is. Most of our travel down to DuQuoin is by interstate and the medians don't look like they have been mown this summer. I also noticed that there were fewer state troopers on the fairgrounds as in the past.
Mike,

I noticed there were fewer troopers, also. I believe as a matter of policy Illinois doesn't mow as often as Indiana, but this year they are doing even less.
Oh, and where were the Fiddlesticks vendors in the grandstands? Didn't see one at all while we were there.

9/7/10, 3:23 PM   #9
SpfldMile

I got out some pictures today from past SC races to look at track conditions. I had to go back to 2005 to see a track that wasn't steamrolled into concrete. That year Brian Tyler transferred out of the semi to win at Springfield. My 1999 photos at Springfield and DuQuoin showed a good cushion during hotlaps and qualifying, and it doesn't look like it was packed in before the main. My pictures from the 80's showed a big curb-like cushion that the cars leaned on. I hate to always bring this up, but these cars are so great on the miles when they are allowed to race, not drag race. Let's let them race.

9/7/10, 4:05 PM   #10
miledirt

I hated group qualifying - horrible idea - ZERO drama, and no chance for casual fans to learn about the drivers

As to the race, yep.... This story is all about track prep. Todd Kane did a good job to hang on to third, but there is no way that he suddenly became so fast that Coons and Darland couldn't get by him. Group qualifying stunk and so did the track

I to love this series and particularly SC cars in the dirt miles, but USAC and Sargent need to respond on this one. Get rid of group qualifying and get Tommy Helfrich to do track prep!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Interesting night at DuQuoin