IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just plain stupid
9/4/10, 12:23 AM   #1
Just plain stupid
Bad Dad 54

Saw a driver tonight that was racing w/ a firesuit that looked more like coveralls. His bare knee was sticking throught the hole in the leg. Another drivers uniform was covered in dirty grease, this will burn like candle. Drivers take a look at your ssafety equipment, then take a look at your family. Then asks yourself, "Is my safety equipment good or just good enough" Burn scared skin cracks easily and is very delicate, not as good as regular skin. Fireproof underwear will pull the sweat off your body helping give you some extra time in a fire. Take time to check it gang your family & friends need you.

3 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge, Jimmydiesel
9/4/10, 3:42 AM   #2
Re: Just plain stupid
SlideJob Jones

Did you go offer to pay for new equipment for the driver?

9/4/10, 7:18 AM   #3
sprinter25

Sorry, but you can't fix stupid!

9/4/10, 8:03 AM   #4
PIT CART

I had to go see a friend at St Joseph burn unit 10 years ago. I learned then that a good fire suit was priceless.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/4/10, 9:04 AM   #5
Sausage

To the poster who asked if another post was willing to pay for the drivers gear, I don't see how that is relevant. You surely can't afford to pay for the burns if you can't afford to have your equipment right in the first place. The guys point is for everyone to be smart and protect yourself. I have a friend who was burned badly that just returned to work. He was out several months, and has returned early trying to pay for the life flight and other expenses. It just makes sense to protect yourself properly from injuries that can change your life.

9/4/10, 8:27 PM   #6
Bad Dad 54

If I had the money to spend on a suit I sure would have gotten one for that driver, & thanks for the support Sausage. Things I've seen over the years that driver use for safety equipment is just plain Stupid. My Dads friend had 60 to 70% of his body covered in 3rd degree burns. Hospital told him he would probably go to sleep, end up in a coma, kidneys would fail & he would die. He stayed awake refusing a big dose of pain killer & stayed awake for 3 days. This was back in 1970 I believe. He just passed away this year. I saw this man w/ his burns, it's etched in my mind & I can not for get what I saw. Go to the deli at you supermarket & look at one those chickens they sell. He looked a little like that.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge
9/5/10, 12:57 AM   #7
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideJob Jones View Post
Did you go offer to pay for new equipment for the driver?
If the guy can't aford a drivers suit without holes He can't afford to race All Big Dad did was say everyone should have good protection in case something happens Slide job Why don't you buy the guy a new suit are keep your mouth shut with the smartazz comments

1 member likes this post: v8j
9/5/10, 8:31 AM   #8
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

When I started racing quads in California and was shopping for a helmet, a much older friend of mine asked me this: HOW MUCH IS YOUR HEAD WORTH?

9/5/10, 11:48 AM   #9
ThrottleHead

Didn't Bell have a slogan for years something along the lines of "If you got a 10 dollar head, wear a 10 dollar helmet"
Last edited by ThrottleHead; 9/5/10 at 12:13 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pete166
9/5/10, 2:14 PM   #10
Napalm74

If you can't afford a legit made suit from the past decade that is still in one piece and fireproof, then you cant afford to race. You don't own a racecar, its an operation, and part of that is a fireproof suit, a current snell rated helmet and RACING gloves! That is my personal favorite. all the thundercars that leak oil all over their headers and drive around without gloves on. If you don't take care of your safety equipment, you prob don't take care of your racecar either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just plain stupid