IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 TONIGHT!!!!!!
5/30/10, 3:29 AM   #21
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

i was wonderin about that as well i realy didnt like gettin methanol on me also lol. also bloom dumped alot of fuel onto turn 1 after exciting the pits.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/30/10, 6:42 AM   #22
Re: Little 500 TONIGHT!!!!!!
Tripcrwn

What happened to Helberg and congratulations to Tony Hunt for finishing third! Thanks for any information.

5/30/10, 9:19 AM   #23
Sumofnoreturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
I can't believe Gordon wasn't black flagged for the leaking fuel. Thats one of the worst calls I've ever seen. A total disregard for the safety of the other competitors by Anderson officials AND Eric's team.

I'm completely disgusted by my first Little 5 in a long time. Hopefully I won't be back next year.

With a screen name like yours, I just can't take anything you say seriously.

Congrats to Eric Gordon for winning

5/30/10, 9:34 AM   #24
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
I can't believe Gordon wasn't black flagged for the leaking fuel. Thats one of the worst calls I've ever seen. A total disregard for the safety of the other competitors by Anderson officials AND Eric's team.

I'm completely disgusted by my first Little 5 in a long time. Hopefully I won't be back next year.
If you are that disgusted, hopefully you will not be back. Life is too short to be miserable but then again you seem to have a corner on that market.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
5/30/10, 10:44 AM   #25
racerdog45

If you blacked flagged every car that leaked fuel after a pit stop at Little 500 you wouldn't have many cars left n the track, it only lasted a couple laps in Eric's case. To me it was way worse letting Bloom run over 400 laps with a flat left front, he smoked that dude every lap going into the corners on both ends of the track and it made his car a handful. Overall like any other Little 500, wild action on and off the track. It's great you won't be back next year bacause I'm sure I'll take a couple more new people and get them hooked on Little 500 also so we'll use your seats!! lol VERY good crowd this year. Like my moldie oldie friend said last night, I'd pay $27 just to watch the first 2 laps at Little 500!
Last edited by racerdog45; 5/30/10 at 10:45 AM.

5/30/10, 10:55 AM   #26
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
It was the most competitive field ive seen in a long time. Almost every car was still running until the first caution. First time since i can remember there wasnt anybody who started ran a couple laps and parked.
Posted via Mobile Device
17 15 Brandon Whited 462
18 5 Tony Elliott 330

Whited wound up putting 132 additional laps of wear on the engine, only to move up from 18th to 17th.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I still wonder how they ever managed to correctly score this race in the days before transponders. I mean, 3rd place was 3 laps behind 2nd place, 5th was 3 laps behind 4th, and 7th was two circuits behind 6th.

1 2 Eric Gordon 500
2 4 Shane Cottle 500
3 56 Tony Hunt 497
4 21 Levi Jones 497
5 87 Jacob Wilson 494
6 68 Troy Decaire 494
7 17 Donnie Adams, Jr. 492

5/30/10, 11:31 AM   #27
Mud Packer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
17 15 Brandon Whited 462
18 5 Tony Elliott 330

Whited wound up putting 132 additional laps of wear on the engine, only to move up from 18th to 17th.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I still wonder how they ever managed to correctly score this race in the days before transponders. I mean, 3rd place was 3 laps behind 2nd place, 5th was 3 laps behind 4th, and 7th was two circuits behind 6th.

1 2 Eric Gordon 500
2 4 Shane Cottle 500
3 56 Tony Hunt 497
4 21 Levi Jones 497
5 87 Jacob Wilson 494
6 68 Troy Decaire 494
7 17 Donnie Adams, Jr. 492
Back in the "old days", they had one scorer for every car. They would be seated under the tower all together. They would start a clock located near the fence on the front straightaway facing the press box at the start of the race. Everytime a car crossed the finishline, the scorer for that car would write down the time next to a lap # on his/her score sheet.

The head scorer would have a lap card for each 10 laps and he would hold it up at lap 10, 20, 30 etc., and each scorer would then hold up their clipboard with the car number on it. He would compile the car numbers in order during the race. Every score sheet was manually checked after the race to be sure that it matched up with the "unofficial" final results. The final results were announced on Sunday, the day after the race.

Dave Argabright recruited me a long time ago to help score. Thankfully the evening I was suppose to do this, the drivers wife came up and said that she was going to score his race. I was able to standby and watch and decided then that this job wasn't for me. I enjoy watching the race and with scoring you only get to watch one car, the one you are scoring. Most of the time either the drivers wife, girlfriend, brother or someone else associated with the team did the scoring.

It is really a pretty simple method which some tracks/series still use as a backup system. I believe that ARCA still uses it.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
5/30/10, 12:51 PM   #28
IndyBound

Congratulations Eric and crew on your win, congratulations also to Jacob Wilson on your 5th place finish, great run Jacob and Clint.

Mike, you described manual scoring perfectly, it was a job I did for years not only for our own supermodified team but for several friends teams when we weren't running our own car.

Patti

5/30/10, 1:12 PM   #29
Mud Packer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound View Post
Congratulations Eric and crew on your win, congratulations also to Jacob Wilson on your 5th place finish, great run Jacob and Clint.

Mike, you described manual scoring perfectly, it was a job I did for years not only for our own supermodified team but for several friends teams when we weren't running our own car.

Patti
Patti,

You are a unique individual if you can score a race especially of that length. Dedication is the name of that game. Anyone who does this job, certainly has my respect.

5/30/10, 1:35 PM   #30
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumofnoreturn View Post
With a screen name like yours, I just can't take anything you say seriously.

Congrats to Eric Gordon for winning
I'm glad I DON'T have to listen to some fan in the stands who's never put down a dollar to buy a tire or strapped himself into a race car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
If you are that disgusted, hopefully you will not be back. Life is too short to be miserable but then again you seem to have a corner on that market.
How miserable would you have been if you watched that poor kid get lit on fire because of the fuel leaking from Gordon's car? Maybe that would have satisfied your bloodlust? Didn't see enough accidents I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdog45 View Post
If you blacked flagged every car that leaked fuel after a pit stop at Little 500 you wouldn't have many cars left n the track, it only lasted a couple laps in Eric's case. To me it was way worse letting Bloom run over 400 laps with a flat left front, he smoked that dude every lap going into the corners on both ends of the track and it made his car a handful. Overall like any other Little 500, wild action on and off the track. It's great you won't be back next year bacause I'm sure I'll take a couple more new people and get them hooked on Little 500 also so we'll use your seats!! lol VERY good crowd this year. Like my moldie oldie friend said last night, I'd pay $27 just to watch the first 2 laps at Little 500!
Gordon's car wasn't just LEAKING fuel, it was nearly free flowing from the tank. When the car behind has to run a different line just to miss the fuel, he needs to be black flagged!

How typical You guys pay your respects to Jesse and then turn around and disrespect another kid, who could very well have been an instant from his death. THANK GOD he wasn't burned or injured as it was but you don't care because it was a fan favorite leaking the fuel. SHAMEFUL. If you want to take my place, I'll add up the receipts from running the car this weekend and send you the bill and see if you want to "take my place next year". Gonna be hard to use the welfare check and put the beer down long enough!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 TONIGHT!!!!!!