IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing Marketing
5/21/10, 9:10 AM   #61
Re: Midget Racing Marketing
DonMoore10

Is there a midget model that can be devised that will allow just about everybody to be happy and grow midget racing including car owners, drivers, promoters, engine gurus, tire companies and most of all, race fans? I've read a lot of great ideas on here so far. Can anybody put together a model/plan that is all encompassing or just short of that? Are we overlooking just a few small changes in the model that will help move midget racing forward in the future? I haven't seen it so far but I think it can be done. Can someone tie this altogether?

5/21/10, 12:42 PM   #62
RichC

I think that the fact that there are 4 pages (so far) on this subject speaks volumes. If no one can agree on how to fix the problem (or even IF there is a problem) then why should there be any expectation that it would be fixed? Because of this diversity I don't believe a solution can be found through consensus. So either a sanctioning body forces a change (and in order to be effective, a majority of the sanctioning bodies will need to agree to the change or the change allows enough flexibility to where people can easily swap back and forth) or lack of consensus will result in continued inaction. In my belief any big change to these cars will ensure that they will not be a premiere series. If they lose their premiere series status then there's no reason for promotors to pay much of anything for them.

The sanctioning bodies certainly don't like seeing a couple handfuls of cars show up because the promotors don't like paying for that. What criteria should be used to determine what change a sanctioning body enacts? They should do what you say? What if 90% of the rest of the car owners reject your idea no matter if your idea makes complete sense? (whether it makes sense to just you or everyone is irrelevant). If the sanctioning body makes your change they risk losing 90% of their cars. If they reject your idea, they risk losing 10% of the cars. Perhaps they have already spoken.

My personal opinion is that this situation won't see a big improvement until the economy improves or some benevelent soul (a la J.W. Hunt) rolls in throwing money in the air. Oh, they can tweak rules here and there but lack of disposable cash is the cause.

5/21/10, 12:46 PM   #63
JBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Is there a midget model that can be devised that will allow just about everybody to be happy and grow midget racing including car owners, drivers, promoters, engine gurus, tire companies and most of all, race fans? I've read a lot of great ideas on here so far. Can anybody put together a model/plan that is all encompassing or just short of that? Are we overlooking just a few small changes in the model that will help move midget racing forward in the future? I haven't seen it so far but I think it can be done. Can someone tie this altogether?

That IS the ultimate question, isn't it, Don? You remember Don L's and I's foray into this a few yrs back. Many seemed VERY defensive about it but many more told us that we were on the right track. Had some good things going but it just didn't work out mostly IMO from reasons beyond our control. It happens - Life goes on...

For me, I guess open wheel racing is just in my blood. I often miss it more than I care to admit. But, at some point, it becomes a point of diminishing return when looking at the required major amount of time & lack of ANY amount of compensation. In other words, passion to make things better only gets you so far as I certainly have not been born w/a silver spoon in my mouth.

I'm always open to opportunities. Not sure there are any? Who knows...

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I think that the fact that there are 4 pages (so far) on this subject speaks volumes. If no one can agree on how to fix the problem (or even IF there is a problem) then why should there be any expectation that it would be fixed? Because of this diversity I don't believe a solution can be found through consensus. So either a sanctioning body forces a change (and in order to be effective, a majority of the sanctioning bodies will need to agree to the change or the change allows enough flexibility to where people can easily swap back and forth) or lack of consensus will result in continued inaction. In my belief any big change to these cars will ensure that they will not be a premiere series. If they lose their premiere series status then there's no reason for promotors to pay much of anything for them.

The sanctioning bodies certainly don't like seeing a couple handfuls of cars show up because the promotors don't like paying for that. What criteria should be used to determine what change a sanctioning body enacts? They should do what you say? What if 90% of the rest of the car owners reject your idea no matter if your idea makes complete sense? (whether it makes sense to just you or everyone is irrelevant). If the sanctioning body makes your change they risk losing 90% of their cars. If they reject your idea, they risk losing 10% of the cars. Perhaps they have already spoken.

My personal opinion is that this situation won't see a big improvement until the economy improves or some benevelent soul (a la J.W. Hunt) rolls in throwing money in the air. Oh, they can tweak rules here and there but lack of disposable cash is the cause.

Hey Rich -

How are ya? Great post & ideas.

I wonder if the "sanctioning body" model is all but dead for most organizations. Seems to me that, for the most part, outside of USAC -- I really don't think fans care about the sanctioning body that much.

Look at the dirt tracks who run 410 sprints weekly throughout Indiana. How many of those run w/an "organization"? Fans know the DRIVERS first not the sanctioning body. And, more importantly, is the racing "worse" w/o a sanctioning body? I'd bet most fans say NO...

Maybe, this is a good place to start as I suggested. Start w/one track. Partner with another one if necessary or warranted. It's been pretty successful in Northern Ohio w/the 410 and 305 winged sprints. Attica (1/3 mile) on Friday and Fremont (1/3 mile) on Saturday. If you go w/360 winged sprints, you could run Limaland (1/3 mile) on Friday and Waynesfield (1/3 mile) on Saturday. Indiana seems to be very similar only on a larger scale and wingless, right?

Help me out as I wasn't around back then -- but, isn't this the way open-wheel racing was developed way back when??? People could race 2,3,4 times a week all over the place generally within 100-miles. I have personally seen a really cool, fully-restored 1946 Curtis/Offy midget that I'm told won THREE FEATURES IN ONE DAY once!!

Did fans care about SANCTIONING BODIES back then? Doubt it...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing Marketing