IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING?
WE WILL BE THERE 12 21.82%
NOT INTERESTED 35 63.64%
NOT SURE 8 14.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ASCT seeks your opinion
1/6/10, 9:05 PM   #11
Re: ASCT seeks your opinion
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finish-LineMM View Post
1/6/2010

The ASCT Director John Gurley is asking for all race teams and avid fans to give us their opinion on running a race on a mile race track, possibly Indy. Before pursuing the idea any further the ASCT series is looking for opinions and suggestions concerning this type of event. The series is looking for a car count of 35 plus and the pay out could be something like this: $4000 to $5000 to win and $500 to start from 16th on back in a 24 car feature with a $200 guaranteed tow money. Qualifying is a must and the field will start straight up in the heats, consi’s and feature. This concept is a real one and a true possibility but we need input from all the teams! This would be an ASCT sanction event and all of the ASCT rules would apply. Please give us your ideas and feeling on this possibility.

The ASCT is proudly represented by Finish-Line Motorsports Management.
Who else may I ask do you represent, and how long have you been in this business? Your website doesn't contain alot of information.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/7/10, 8:42 AM   #12
Al Soran

I think this is a bad idea. If you put up the kind of money you mentioned, the cars will come if you run it in the Wal-mart parking lot. Safety of the dirvers and fans should be the series' first concern. If you want a crowd for a potential race sponsor, get creative. Do something that will put butts in the stands. How about a full night of racing (1/4 mile track) with the same purse you mentioned but $1000 short, and then follow the feature with a 20 lap race going clockwise with $1000 to the winner? I'll be there for that one, but not the mile. "Think out of the oval."

1/7/10, 10:14 AM   #13
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finish-LineMM View Post
1/6/2010

The ASCT Director John Gurley is asking for all race teams and avid fans to give us their opinion on running a race on a mile race track, possibly Indy. Before pursuing the idea any further the ASCT series is looking for opinions and suggestions concerning this type of event. The series is looking for a car count of 35 plus and the pay out could be something like this: $4000 to $5000 to win and $500 to start from 16th on back in a 24 car feature with a $200 guaranteed tow money. Qualifying is a must and the field will start straight up in the heats, consi’s and feature. This concept is a real one and a true possibility but we need input from all the teams! This would be an ASCT sanction event and all of the ASCT rules would apply. Please give us your ideas and feeling on this possibility.

The ASCT is proudly represented by Finish-Line Motorsports Management.
A few things to consider:

1. Figure 5 hot laps = 5 miles
2. Figure 2 qualification laps = 2 miles
3. Figure 8 lap heats = 8 miles
4. Figure 12 consi laps = 12 miles
5. Figure 30 feature laps = 30 miles

Total = 57 miles, equating to 228 laps on a 1/4 mile track - 152 laps on a 3/8 mile track - 114 laps on a 1/2 mile track. Seems like a lot of time on the engine for just one race. I'm not sure mine would take the sustained RPM and run time without risking its ability to make it through the entire season before freshening.

Tim Simmons

1/7/10, 11:24 AM   #14
illinisprintfan

I've been to DuQuion IL to watch the silver crown cars on the mile track, how much faster would the sprint cars be on a mile track? From a safety stand point what would be the difference? Is it speed only, or also the construction of the cars? I'm just a fan and not trying to stir the pot, just curious.

1/7/10, 3:49 PM   #15
duel

running the Indy mile with a sprint car ranks up there with running Winchester with a sprint or Michigan with an Indy Car. maybe a little more dangerous. i know a lot of people would spectate. i would like to see the ASCT come to michigan and run the high bank 3/8 of Butler without wings and pay a good purse. i see enough 1/4 miles.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
1/7/10, 4:34 PM   #16
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
running the Indy mile with a sprint car ranks up there with running Winchester with a sprint or Michigan with an Indy Car. maybe a little more dangerous. i know a lot of people would spectate. i would like to see the ASCT come to michigan and run the high bank 3/8 of Butler without wings and pay a good purse. i see enough 1/4 miles.
The official announcement will be made later but we just signed I96 Speedway in Lake Odessa Michigan on July 31. We are also close to signing a date on July 30 also in Michigan. $1200 to win $225 to start and a $100 guaranteed tow. The July 30 date will be the same purse. More to come.

1/7/10, 5:23 PM   #17
Mr. Hardesty

Im starting to think that this deal is getting out of controle, new right rear tires, travel, mile tracks. Sounds like this is a low buck usac, I just hope that lasalle starts running sprints for our teams sake. We had planed on running with the group but now we have to buy all new tires and we just cant afford to do that. Im sorry but they may have lost this teams support, unless they can get some illinois races.
Brandon Hardesty
Tyler Shoemaker Racing

1/8/10, 5:59 AM   #18
sprinterfan

A series like this,,, a mile racetrack on the schedule is the last thing it needs. And if you decide to put a track like this on the schedue, go ahead and just schedule a helicopter to wait in the infield too cuz you'll need it.

Also, I can't get over how much everyone is complaining about the expense part. Its racing, since when has any of this become affordable? Sure the travel will suck on the wallet. What other choice is there? Run 2 hours down the road and run 10th locally and be back in your driveway with less money anyway?? Show me an owner that makes money doing this and I'll call em a liar.

1/8/10, 6:10 PM   #19
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
The official announcement will be made later but we just signed I96 Speedway in Lake Odessa Michigan on July 31. We are also close to signing a date on July 30 also in Michigan. $1200 to win $225 to start and a $100 guaranteed tow. The July 30 date will be the same purse. More to come.
July 31st non wing sprints at Eldora also. I know schedule conflicts happen often and it's hard to avoid.

1/10/10, 12:15 PM   #20
Panama

Indy mile, my opinion, HELL NO!

I do remember Jeff Thickstun, his crash was way less about his experience, and way more about, speed and chassis construction.
You crash on a mile, it is VIOLENT, many a talented driver has been injured badly, or killed, on mile tracks. Jan Opperman, Larry Martin, and Jeff Thickstun to name only a few, all 3 at the Indy mile.

Seriously, what are you guys thinking?
Last edited by Panama; 1/10/10 at 2:38 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ASCT seeks your opinion