IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING?
WE WILL BE THERE 12 21.82%
NOT INTERESTED 35 63.64%
NOT SURE 8 14.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ASCT seeks your opinion
1/6/10, 6:23 PM   #1
ASCT seeks your opinion
Finish-LineMM

1/6/2010

The ASCT Director John Gurley is asking for all race teams and avid fans to give us their opinion on running a race on a mile race track, possibly Indy. Before pursuing the idea any further the ASCT series is looking for opinions and suggestions concerning this type of event. The series is looking for a car count of 35 plus and the pay out could be something like this: $4000 to $5000 to win and $500 to start from 16th on back in a 24 car feature with a $200 guaranteed tow money. Qualifying is a must and the field will start straight up in the heats, consi’s and feature. This concept is a real one and a true possibility but we need input from all the teams! This would be an ASCT sanction event and all of the ASCT rules would apply. Please give us your ideas and feeling on this possibility.

The ASCT is proudly represented by Finish-Line Motorsports Management.

1/6/10, 6:34 PM   #2
Re: ASCT seeks your opinion
kcarm92

why would anybody want to

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, HurstBros0
1/6/10, 7:43 PM   #3
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Here is my opinion on this series.

TRY TO BOOK races at tracks "like" Chandler,Liberty,Montpelier,North Vernon. Run two or three weekends a month.

I CAN'T SEE this series making it, IF they try to run big tracks or in multiple states.

GOOD LUCK IN WHAT EVERY YOU DECIDE

1/6/10, 7:49 PM   #4
Modocer 57

Don't do the mile, only trouble.

1/6/10, 7:52 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I thought this series was going to be all about the "low budget" racers? Since this PR extravaganza has started, we have heard that the series organizers are looking at race tracks in 7 different states. Also, you proclaimed that you would be "working" with SOD to further develop additional race teams. Now the possibility of racing on a mile track? What's next? I only have one question. Can anyone associated with the series explain to me "WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH"?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/6/10, 7:57 PM   #6
Bryans57

I'm not to in the mile deal really... But I would run the deal..... If I could have the rite equipment, You just have to have everything rite, Balanced tires & wheels, Good brakes, anything that rotates really. Would we have good enough tires? You'd have to have special body work. And the main thing is... do we have anyone that has any mile experience ? If we have alot of rookies we'd have a ton of problems in my opinion. It would just take alot of money to get a car ready for the mile.... I think! But if was on the schedule I'd probably run the deal somehow... How many laps? heat races, b-main, a-main? It would just take alot I think.. Thanks, Bryan Robinson 57R

1/6/10, 8:03 PM   #7
Pat O'Connor Fan

I've seen a few sprint car races on mile tracks -- the risk is extreme.
Please don't do it.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, flyer, mowerman, Mud Packer
1/6/10, 8:20 PM   #8
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I thought this series was going to be all about the "low budget" racers? Since this PR extravaganza has started, we have heard that the series organizers are looking at race tracks in 7 different states. Also, you proclaimed that you would be "working" with SOD to further develop additional race teams. Now the possibility of racing on a mile track? What's next? I only have one question. Can anyone associated with the series explain to me "WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH"?
Feel free to read our last post that is about our deal with SOD. I think I explain our reasoning for why we are doing things the way we are pretty well but read all of my responses completely. As for the mile deal, we were approached by sponsors that would be interested in giving money toward a sprint car race on the Indy Mile. So I asked our marketing company to test the water and get input from steel block teams that are on IOW but please read ALL of the post about our SOD deal beacuse I think it will clear up most of the question anyone might have.

1/6/10, 8:37 PM   #9
tqracer65

I dont have a dog in this fight but I have been following the developement of the series and it seems to be going away from a budget racer idea. with all of the traveling it seems that it would require a lot of funding. JMO from an outsider but that what it seems. The mile would be a cool thing to watch for sure but hard on engines likely.

1/6/10, 8:47 PM   #10
Bloomington Racer 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finish-LineMM View Post
1/6/2010

The ASCT Director John Gurley is asking for all race teams and avid fans to give us their opinion on running a race on a mile race track, possibly Indy. Before pursuing the idea any further the ASCT series is looking for opinions and suggestions concerning this type of event. The series is looking for a car count of 35 plus and the pay out could be something like this: $4000 to $5000 to win and $500 to start from 16th on back in a 24 car feature with a $200 guaranteed tow money. Qualifying is a must and the field will start straight up in the heats, consi’s and feature. This concept is a real one and a true possibility but we need input from all the teams! This would be an ASCT sanction event and all of the ASCT rules would apply. Please give us your ideas and feeling on this possibility.

The ASCT is proudly represented by Finish-Line Motorsports Management.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

People better remember Jeff Thickstun, he had no experience on a mile race track, running with USAC in the early 90's. No experience caused him to lose his life. Think twice before putting a group of young drivers on a track that can kill you quickly. Why do you think the World of Outlaws quit running mile tracks, the speed they carry and the damage they did when something goes wrong. On a 1/4 or 3/8th's mile track you only tear it up, on anything bigger you destroy you sprint car and possibly lose your life. PLEASE think twice before making any hasty decisions. Thanks

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ASCT seeks your opinion