IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kool 1974 Sprinter of Roy Fields
11/1/09, 1:04 AM   #11
Re: Kool 1974 Sprinter of Roy Fields
brc

Rpracing1

Thanks for posting that cool old article. I can barely remember seeing that article when it came out. That was a sweet looking car. Possibly an Edmunds car ? Too pretty to be raced ,almost!, Not to take away from the thread ,but to fuel the fire. While on the subject of chrome cages,bolt on cages. Here is a sweet picture - Thanks Al Consoli- ! of a sweet looking ol' car. Not bad looking for a non- west coast car. Gene Gennetten KC,MO.at Tampa fairgrounds - circa 1974 as well. Chrome cage, chrome headers,chrome front axle,chrome bumpers,too cool! This is a sweet power shot to say the least.

http://www.eazylivin.net/GG.jpg

I doubt anyone in that era was worrying if the chrome was making anything brittle... Hammer down and turn left a bit,then start turnin right more!!

Take Care,
BC

11/1/09, 11:12 AM   #12
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
Rpracing1

Thanks for posting that cool old article. I can barely remember seeing that article when it came out. That was a sweet looking car. Possibly an Edmunds car ? Too pretty to be raced ,almost!, Not to take away from the thread ,but to fuel the fire. While on the subject of chrome cages,bolt on cages. Here is a sweet picture - Thanks Al Consoli- ! of a sweet looking ol' car. Not bad looking for a non- west coast car. Gene Gennetten KC,MO.at Tampa fairgrounds - circa 1974 as well. Chrome cage, chrome headers,chrome front axle,chrome bumpers,too cool! This is a sweet power shot to say the least.

http://www.eazylivin.net/GG.jpg

I doubt anyone in that era was worrying if the chrome was making anything brittle... Hammer down and turn left a bit,then start turnin right more!!

Take Care,
BC
BRC
You are welcome.........Thanks for your pic also...........Cars from that era were so cool........Alot of todays cars do not have that "Look" about them. One exception is a guy that is out of Owensboro Ky. , Larry Trunnel, who always has a very sweet looking car when ever he decides to get it out.
Rpracing1

11/2/09, 5:25 PM   #13
Bubzilla

That Hot Rod article brings back some memories.

Roy is still around and is currently a fabricator/chassis builder here in Phoenix. He's got a few sprint, midget, and mini-sprints running currently with the local clubs.

Yes, that car is an Edmunds. It was the second car that the family owned, and was new when the photos were shot for his Sophomore season in 1974. His Dad towed it to the races on an open trailer behind a brand new 4-door Ford Thunderbird.

He was the 1973 Rookie of the Year for the Arizona Racing Association sprint cars, bouncing back from a terrible accident at the start of 1973.

In March 1973, the Pinal County Fairgrounds opened a 1/2 mile dirt oval (called 11 Mile Corner Raceway, as it was 11 miles to Casa Grande and 11 miles to Coolidge). Manzy's Windy McDonald was the track promotor (and remained so for a few years until his son Rick was killed near there in a traffic accident after a race. This tragedy literally took the wind out of Windy, and he got away from there). The track had a 3-4 foot high concrete wall in turn 1-2, and nothing in 3-4 except a steep drop-off if you got over the top of the banking.

The team I was on at the time holds the honor of being the first sprint car to flip at the track. During the 2nd heat, our driver Dave Thompson took it into T3 a bit too hard, floated up high, and flipped over the banking. He ended up breaking his collar bone due to the "hook" portion of the aluminum seat (that keeps you from getting slung out in the turns) being a little too tall and breaking the collar bone during one of the landings.

They red flagged the race to take care of Dave, and after the restart for the same 2nd heat, Roy ran over a wheel about even with the flag stand, and flipped all the way to T1 and OVER the wall, landing in the parking lot. The whole time his arms were flapping around outside of the cage, and mangled the crap out of one of them. While the medics were checking him out, I went out on the front stretch with the pit crew of somne friends, and happened to notice a piece of Roy's arm bone about the size of 9/16" deep wall socket shoved in the clay. I dug it out and gave it to one of the ambulance attendants.

I can't remember, but I believe that the cage was chromed and it definitely cracked/broke at a few places.

They ended up doing surgery on Roy (I think he still has a rod in there somewhere), and about 4 months later he was back in the family car, eventually finishing about 15th in points for the season. I don't recall how long he raced as a driver, but when he quit driving he continued for many years as an owner.

1 member likes this post: Brakeline
11/7/09, 9:49 PM   #14
MOPARD

I know this car and Skeet. He loved racing and everything about it!! That's why it's in me. Anyone remember the first Twister???

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kool 1974 Sprinter of Roy Fields