IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rumble dates?
10/17/09, 3:02 PM   #11
Re: Rumble dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing2a View Post
Bring back thunder in the dome! Thunder in the stadium!

U will NEVER see this. I rally hate to burst peoples bubbles, but it cost to much to move the football field. Its not like it used to be where they would just roll up the field and move it. All they did last year for the Motocross and monster truck show was, put down plastic, then cover that with ply wood, then put dirt on top. They never took up the football field. Now some will say, dirt race.....cool. The cleaning bill would be astronomical to clean the place. Hate to say it but indoor racing is not going to happen any time soon at the stadium.

10/17/09, 3:26 PM   #12
dirtywhiteboy

Again, I will nominate U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington, IL. It's centrally located, has a good seating area and there would be a good fan base to attract.

10/17/09, 4:45 PM   #13
DonMoore10

I'd like to see that happen, DWB.

10/17/09, 6:24 PM   #14
Anderson36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Uh.... Where did you read these new rules at? The VW's including the Munchkin were allowed 850 pounds last year. I'm hearing that the new rules for them will be 875. That's 25 pounds more which equals about 3 1/2 to 4 gallons of fuel added to a potential 27 or 31 gallon fuel tank. Most teams run 12 or so gallons for a feature. That leaves a lot of room in the tank for 3 1/2 to 4 gallons. I think it's far fetched to think that a team can't put 3 1/2 more gallons in a fuel tank. Now if the Munchkin teams were running with a full fuel tank last year which I seriously doubt, they'll have to bolt on weight which is a common practice for a lot of midget teams regardless of whether it's an indoor or outdoor race.

Don,

Here's where I heard the 900# rule,

3. Regarding conventional in line midgets: Gaerte Chevy, Gaerte Ford, Esslinger Kenyon, Focus etc. This does not include cars with VW engines. The weight rule is 875 pounds. (This does not include cars with VW engines , which must weigh 900 #)

Now, The Munchkin weighs around 800# with NO weight added. We all know the weight is added to the leftside nerf bar mounted like a plate on the lower most area. Now this year the rules read as follows...

1. No steel, iron, lead or any heavy metal plates of any kind within the left or right side nerf bars including horizontal and vertical plates...ect...

So with all this said NEW rule #7 reads,

7. All bolt on weight must be inside the car ( frame rails ). The bolt on weight will only allowed from the front of the engine block to the rear of the seat, within the confines of the outer frame rails.

In order for the Munchkin to be legal they will have to mount nearly 100 pounds of weight in a space approx. 12" wide by 30" or so long. I will be very suprised if this will be attainable. Don't get me wrong, I agree things need to be kept on a level field. I just love attending this event each winter with such a huge crowd on hand.

10/17/09, 7:34 PM   #15
DonMoore10

1. I think it would be prudent and respectful if people would not post speculation and rumor on IOW without doing the proper research. Speculation about who will be there and who won't is premature until the rules and entry list are publicly published. Please have some respect for the promoters.

2. The Rumbles Series last winter operated with the rule that a VW midget must weigh at least 850 lbs. That rule with various sanctioning bodies has been around for quite a while, nothing new here, so if people are presenting or building cars that don't meet that weight requirement, the owners of those cars have a major problem, not the promoter or the sanctioning body. If they have to bolt on 75-100 lbs, that's the owner's problem, end of discussion. So if they were there last year, and I assume they were, and at least 850 lbs, then all they need to do is add a little weight or about 4 gallons of fuel and they are legal. So I'm totally puzzled why this is even a remotely valid topic on IOW. If the rule says 850, then bring a car that weighs 850. If it says 875, then bring a car that weighs that. Again I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this. It's rediculous to even bring this weight issue up.

3. The Rumble Series is being based off of the Wolverine Rule Book with a few variations, so I'm told and have read. So... bring a car to Fort Wayne that matches the rules. Real simple to understand. I think it's safe to say that hanging every piece of junk out on the left side of a midget beyond 8 inches is history. It's NEVER been legal anywhere to do that and the Wolverine rule book, and correct me if I'm wrong, clearly states nothing beyond 8 inches from the frame. End of discussion.

4. Now... Let the promoter do his thing and stop posting all kinds of speculation on here. The promoter has clearly stated on this message board that the rules need a tune up and that is what is going to happen. Again, give the promoter some room to let everything play out so that we all can enjoy some even indoor racing competition.

10/17/09, 8:02 PM   #16
Anderson36

Quote:
1. I think it would be prudent and respectful if people would not post speculation and rumor on IOW without doing the proper research. Speculation about who will be there and who won't is premature until the rules and entry list are publicly published. Please have some respect for the promoters.

2. The Rumbles Series last winter operated with the rule that a VW midget must weigh at least 850 lbs. That rule with various sanctioning bodies has been around for quite a while, nothing new here, so if people are presenting or building cars that don't meet that weight requirement, the owners of those cars have a major problem, not the promoter or the sanctioning body. If they have to bolt on 75-100 lbs, that's the owner's problem, end of discussion. So if they were there last year, and I assume they were, and at least 850 lbs, then all they need to do is add a little weight or about 4 gallons of fuel and they are legal. So I'm totally puzzled why this is even a remotely valid topic on IOW. If the rule says 850, then bring a car that weighs 850. If it says 875, then bring a car that weighs that. Again I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this. It's rediculous to even bring this weight issue up.

3. The Rumble Series is being based off of the Wolverine Rule Book with a few variations, so I'm told and have read. So... bring a car to Fort Wayne that matches the rules. Real simple to understand. I think it's safe to say that hanging every piece of junk out on the left side of a midget beyond 8 inches is history. It's NEVER been legal anywhere to do that and the Wolverine rule book, and correct me if I'm wrong, clearly states nothing beyond 8 inches from the frame. End of discussion.

4. Now... Let the promoter do his thing and stop posting all kinds of speculation on here. The promoter has clearly stated on this message board that the rules need a tune up and that is what is going to happen. Again, give the promoter some room to let everything play out so that we all can enjoy some even indoor racing competition.
Don,

Once again refer to my number 3. above as quoted in an early posting from Midget Madness authored by the promoter of the Rumble Series. I am not sure which part of the current weight rule you are not understanding. Until the entry comes out, this would be the weight rule any new cars would have to be built according to.

And to refute your #1 above, sometimes you need to take the "can't beat 'em join 'em" approach. I spoke with a Munchkin owner recently and he stated that none of the current Munchkin owners are pleased with the rule changes, with exception to Mr. Stewart who no one has spoken too.

Once again, I could care less about the rule changes, but I do enjoy racing in front of the huge crowds typically on hand for this event.

10/17/09, 8:30 PM   #17
DonMoore10

1. Let the promoter publish the rules.

2. The car owners present their cars according to the rules (nothing new here).

3. Let the midget races take place.

4. THEN let your opinions be known.

5. If some rules need to be adjusted after the races take place, I'm sure it will happen.

This is how it happens across the nation every week, again nothing new here. The promoter has an investment in his series. Let him do his job and see how it plays out.

10/17/09, 8:57 PM   #18
Anderson36

Quote:
1. Let the promoter publish the rules.

2. The car owners present their cars according to the rules (nothing new here).

3. Let the midget races take place.

4. THEN let your opinions be known.

5. If some rules need to be adjusted after the races take place, I'm sure it will happen.

This is how it happens across the nation every week, again nothing new here. The promoter has an investment in his series. Let him do his job and see how it plays out.
1. He did Aug. 6th 2009

2. Using the updated rules posted Aug. 6th 2009 or the ones that will be presented eventually?

3. They will with or without the Munchkins

4. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, ones of which will be expressed sooner or later.

5. Great, I am all for level playing fields, but don't wait until the last few weeks to make the "final edition" of the rules made public.

I agree, Mr. Barhorst and/or you Mr. Moore have a large investment is this deal and the last thing you want to do in this economy is to change things that deter competitors from supporting your events. If you feel that more conventional midgets will show up with the loss of Munchkin support than more power to you, but don't think for one minute that the majority of the crowd wearing their Office Depot #14 fan wear are going to care unless Smoke is there.

10/17/09, 10:14 PM   #19
Tony Barhorst

Jimmy, you are correct in regard to my posting on August 6. This is an ongoing process, and I have still been doing my research on the ramifications of the changes listed in that post. I reserve the right to tweak them until the entry is official...once they are out...then they will be followed to the final detail...I have added staffing for the tech at the event.

This has nothing to do with this thread, but during the last two or three weeks I have been thinking it all over...the location of the added weight on VW's etc.

I just want to point out to you that it is too early to tell if Rich Corson, Johnny Heydenreich...or Tony Stewart will enter. It is too early to tell...This being October 17, it is time to get the entries out...you will see them by Monday.

The question I have is...Will Jim Anderson enter?

Also...Congratulations on a great event at Joliet....That was pretty cool speaking of great crowds.

Thanks,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com

10/17/09, 10:38 PM   #20
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
Jimmy, you are correct in regard to my posting on August 6. This is an ongoing process, and I have still been doing my research on the ramifications of the changes listed in that post. I reserve the right to tweak them until the entry is official...once they are out...then they will be followed to the final detail...I have added staffing for the tech at the event.

This has nothing to do with this thread, but during the last two or three weeks I have been thinking it all over...the location of the added weight on VW's etc.

I just want to point out to you that it is too early to tell if Rich Corson, Johnny Heydenreich...or Tony Stewart will enter. It is too early to tell...This being October 17, it is time to get the entries out...you will see them by Monday.

The question I have is...Will Jim Anderson enter?

Also...Congratulations on a great event at Joliet....That was pretty cool speaking of great crowds.

Thanks,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com
DAMN good indoor racer. Well a DAMN good racer all around (irregardless of the crap some want to throw at him). When someone like Rich gets the full respect of Tony Stewart as a competitor on and of the track and also away from the racing scene, that speaks volumes about Rich's character and his stature as an entrant in this event and as a human being in general.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rumble dates?