IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New as a driver but not to the sport
9/9/09, 3:01 AM   #1
New as a driver but not to the sport
jeffnanny

Hey everyone. My name is Jeff Nanny. I am 24. I recently just purchased my first car. A 99 Stealth bar car. I am new to the world of driving sprints. I just sold out of quad racing and ran harescramble type races for a bit. I have family that races around putnamville, paragon, and bloomington. So i have a lot of experience and good advise as we have all been around the track our whole lives. Anyhow nice to meet everyone. i am in the process of finishing up the whole car deal so no pics yet but it will be very nice after the winter break. But in the mean time i am looking for some safety stuff. As far as a suit, helmet, neck brace, gloves, shoes.. If anyone is getting out let me know i would be interested. But nice meeting everyone and hope to see you all out there maybe some.. And any advise would be great Thanks

9/9/09, 5:58 AM   #2
swaybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnanny View Post
Hey everyone. My name is Jeff Nanny. I am 24. I recently just purchased my first car. A 99 Stealth bar car. I am new to the world of driving sprints. I just sold out of quad racing and ran harescramble type races for a bit. I have family that races around putnamville, paragon, and bloomington. So i have a lot of experience and good advise as we have all been around the track our whole lives. Anyhow nice to meet everyone. i am in the process of finishing up the whole car deal so no pics yet but it will be very nice after the winter break. But in the mean time i am looking for some safety stuff. As far as a suit, helmet, neck brace, gloves, shoes.. If anyone is getting out let me know i would be interested. But nice meeting everyone and hope to see you all out there maybe some.. And any advise would be great Thanks
Welcome and good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

9/9/09, 11:38 AM   #3
Re: New as a driver but not to the sport
sprint11c

Hello Jeff,

Congrat's on your car purchase. Best of luck with your new opperation.

I know it may seem tough at this time as you have just spent a bunch of money, but I would not go the route of purchasing used safety equipment. New fire suits perform better than someones old used one, and fit is very important with things like helmets and hans devises.

Spend the extra money...safety is not where you want to cut a corner.

Buy used tires, shocks, bars, etc...not safety gear.

Best of luck in 2010.

9/9/09, 12:21 PM   #4
jeffnanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint11c View Post
Hello Jeff,

Spend the extra money...safety is not where you want to cut a corner.

Buy used tires, shocks, bars, etc...not safety gear.

Best of luck in 2010.
Thanks a lot. Is there some good places online where you guys buy your stuff. Ive got a few magazines but didnt know if there was a good place online to get some good safety equip. Thanks a lot. And as far as sprints go what rating of equipment should i get. Im not looking to go out and buy an $1800 A-star suit but i do want some descent gear to keep me protected without bein the top of the line.

9/9/09, 12:31 PM   #5
Dgentry51

check your PMs'

9/9/09, 12:44 PM   #6
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Hi Jeff. It is always nice to see another sprint car driver and IOW member. Hope you have a great time at both. Welcome!

9/9/09, 1:48 PM   #7
jeffnanny

Awesome guys.. I have been dying to do this for awhile and its finally going like planned. Thanks for the help everyone and also for welcoming me into the sport.

9/9/09, 2:24 PM   #8
Pushtruck

Welcome Jeff.

The most challenging part of sprint car racing is often financing it. Good luck with your dream. I would have to agree, don't cut corners on your safety equipment.

Joe

9/9/09, 8:58 PM   #9
jeffnanny

Hey thanks for all the pm's and info.. Man i didnt know how big this site was.. Theres a lot of users on here all the time. Way more then my old 4wheeler forums. But i also wanted to ask another question.. As far as suits and helmets. Which brand is about the best to go with. I mean i know you can go buy a 1700 dollar alpinestar suit but thats a little bit out of most peoples budget. I have heard a lot of good things about Bell.. But i was just wondering whats the best reccomendation. Thanks all

9/9/09, 11:38 PM   #10
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnanny View Post
Hey thanks for all the pm's and info.. Man i didnt know how big this site was.. Theres a lot of users on here all the time. Way more then my old 4wheeler forums. But i also wanted to ask another question.. As far as suits and helmets. Which brand is about the best to go with. I mean i know you can go buy a 1700 dollar alpinestar suit but thats a little bit out of most peoples budget. I have heard a lot of good things about Bell.. But i was just wondering whats the best reccomendation. Thanks all
Jeff,
I am the head of Bell Helmets and I also race sprint cars so I can help you with most everything you need. Give me a call when you can tomorrow and we can chat. 217 892 6481.

Steve Thomas
Bell Helmets

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New as a driver but not to the sport