IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should toddlers be allowed in the pits during racing activity?
9/8/09, 1:46 PM   #11
Re: Should toddlers be allowed in the pits during racing activity?
tyler1224

I have a 3 yr old and anytime i can take her w me i will.. its just like a parking lot or swimming pool where you have to watch them at all times.. I dont let her run around and over half the time she is in the stands but i havent had any problems w taking her at all and will continue to do so.. just my opinion.. if you dont think kids should be in the pits then dont bring them but i for one like her coming and she stays in the trailer and out of harms way

9/8/09, 2:01 PM   #12
Obie

I don't think young children should ever be in the pits durin the races. We take our grandkids to the pits after..when it's much safer. I did take the 11 yr old in the pits last year at the Burg, but not without a very long talk on the dangers there. She stayed at my side the whole time.

9/8/09, 2:38 PM   #13
sprinter2b

First, I am a mother of a now 8yr boy, and he has been going to races since we came home from the hospital. To say if children should be allowed in the pits, I say yes I know how dangerous the pits can be and on the same note how safe is it when they let druncken idots in the pits. I have been racing for a long time and when you do it for a living, then it becomes a different story. The parents should be responsible enough to know if there child is capable of being in the pits and able to follow rules or be able to stay in a toter home. There are many dangers that we face daily and yes we need to do everything possible to protect our children but this is a family sport and one of the reasons that racing is a joy for family's is that they can get up close and personal. There are both pros and cons but I think it should be up to the parents and the parents need to responsible with their choice. We can go back and forth about this but I think it should be up to the parents. As far as my son he will be in the pits when it is allowed and anyone that knows my son knows he knows the rules and to be honest he probably knows more about racing and what is going on the most adults.

9/8/09, 2:43 PM   #14
racerman454

Woman nor children should be in the pits I dont think. Woman cause most fights that occur in the pits and children walking around is just an accident waiting to happen. After the races is totally fine to take them in the pits but when cars are shoving off to fire engines or coming off the track theres no way children should be in the pits.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
9/8/09, 2:46 PM   #15
cmiracingvids

This topic really bugs me!! The pit area of a race track is almost always too crowded and too busy anyways. To me it's just not a place for children. I often see 14-16 year olds on 4 wheelers driving around like they're out back of their farm. Race car drivers can't always see the best in the dust of a pit area, and usually sprint car guys are flying in their pit because they don't wanna pop it out of gear and wait for their 4 wheeler. I just think that if you're a mom or whatever, and you're taking the kids in the pits, I don't understand why. You shouldn't have any time to work on the racecar while watching your kids all night. Just go in the stands! It's more family friendly out there, and more relaxing and comfortable for you and your kids alike.

Absolutely NOT! Kids 15 and under should not be allowed in the pit area. Not even with a signed waiver...there's already too many people in the pits just walkin around the way it is. Go spend half the money and enjoy a race from the stands.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
9/8/09, 2:48 PM   #16
LEADERS EDGE

Like everything else......It's not a problem until something goes wrong and then it's a tragedy.

Not every driver will catch fire during their career and many take fire proof items for granted. That is until you witness someone(or yourself) trapped in a burning inferno when seconds are hours and then it's "We have to do this and that to make the sport safer".

My stance is that no one should be allowed in the pits until 16, because at 16 you should have basic knowledge and commen sense and decision capabilities.

To say the trailer is a safe place is true to a point..... but I have seen more than one car end up in theirs or someone elses trailer.

Like I said, everything is good until it isn't anymore.

I guess for me, if you want to have your child in the pits thats your choice, but I don't want to hear about it when something happens and I sure don't want to hear about a tracks neglegence.

Of course, like I said: How will the next 10 year old phenom be able to make it without being able to get in the pits.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 9/8/09 at 2:54 PM.

9/8/09, 2:52 PM   #17
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter2b View Post
First, I am a mother of a now 8yr boy, and he has been going to races since we came home from the hospital. To say if children should be allowed in the pits, I say yes I know how dangerous the pits can be and on the same note how safe is it when they let druncken idots in the pits. I have been racing for a long time and when you do it for a living, then it becomes a different story. The parents should be responsible enough to know if there child is capable of being in the pits and able to follow rules or be able to stay in a toter home. There are many dangers that we face daily and yes we need to do everything possible to protect our children but this is a family sport and one of the reasons that racing is a joy for family's is that they can get up close and personal. There are both pros and cons but I think it should be up to the parents and the parents need to responsible with their choice. We can go back and forth about this but I think it should be up to the parents. As far as my son he will be in the pits when it is allowed and anyone that knows my son knows he knows the rules and to be honest he probably knows more about racing and what is going on the most adults.
With all due respect...most parents are not responsible enough themselves...let alone responsible enough to make a decision for a minor.
As far as letting drunk persons into a pit area...well...there simply needs to be a little more security at some race tracks...and not just let anyone they see with a wrist band into the pit area. I think all could agree with that!

9/8/09, 2:55 PM   #18
LEADERS EDGE

double post
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 9/9/09 at 10:21 AM.

9/8/09, 3:05 PM   #19
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Absolutely not!!!!

9/8/09, 3:17 PM   #20
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Absolutely not!!!!
Ditto, RON

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should toddlers be allowed in the pits during racing activity?