IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's Tony Stewart Racing????
9/3/09, 1:45 AM   #51
Re: Where's Tony Stewart Racing????
ThrowbackRacingTeam

i don't think emmett hahn is gonna try to but heads with usac.
he likes non wing sprints and must feel there is enough support for it in
"his region". althuogh i wouldn't predict good enough car counts. as for that
format everyone loves including myself, i don't think it is wise for non wing
racing to use that on a regular basis because of the added amount of events
it forces guys to run which puts them at risk even more. this format was developed
for winged racing to skip time trials and and somehow provide some sort of good racing.
oskaloosa and lakeside were tough on cars and drivers the last couple years so i
think usac should stick with their traditional format but maybe invert 8 instead of 6.

9/3/09, 10:46 PM   #52
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Just my .02....

If Emmett comes a calling next year in the Hoosier State I would say it is high time Mr. Miller get off his duff and institute a non compete clause for his talent like Ted Johnson did back in the day to protect his product and his schedule. That sure would steam some folks but I would be more steamed if Emmett came in and effectively shut down USAC while they stood by and watched without doing anything about it.

Other than that I am sure DonMoore10 can weigh in with all of the answers to all of our problems.

Additionally, the #24 car isn't owned by the Hines family that I am aware of. Last I heard Bobby Parker owned the familiar yellow #24. Bobby's is a good guy and only runs a handfull of races a year.

9/3/09, 11:33 PM   #53
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Are we talking about the same Emmett Hahn? The Emmett Hahn that almost locked WoO completely out of Texas and Oklahoma for years? That doesn't confrontational at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.P. View Post
If Emmett comes a calling next year in the Hoosier State I would say it is high time Mr. Miller get off his duff and institute a non compete clause for his talent like Ted Johnson did back in the day to protect his product and his schedule.
I realize you're referring to the on-track talent but there's one specific off-track talent Emmett would be wise to go after and he won't have to worry about a non-compete clause.

9/3/09, 11:49 PM   #54
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Just my .02....

If Emmett comes a calling next year in the Hoosier State I would say it is high time Mr. Miller get off his duff and institute a non compete clause for his talent like Ted Johnson did back in the day to protect his product and his schedule. That sure would steam some folks but I would be more steamed if Emmett came in and effectively shut down USAC while they stood by and watched without doing anything about it.
That's exactly what I was talking about. USAC does that and they are dead in the water. They have a great product that they can put on the track and compete with, if they wish to do so. But, they don't own (figuratively) enough race teams to function as a stand-alone product. They depend on locals and nationally known bounty hunters to complete their fields. If they tell those guys that if they choose to run with them at all, they'll have to make a promise that they'll never run with another series, they'll get told to go pound sand. As well they should. The last time I checked, it was still a free country.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

9/4/09, 12:16 AM   #55
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

To institute a no compete clause you'd have to significantly increase both the purse and the point fund. By end of the season now, Your lucky to have five or six USAC specific regulars.

Id also look for surnames to return

9/4/09, 4:43 AM   #56
spindell

I can't help wondering what the coming years might bring? Say Emmet does get some Lucas Oil $$ behind him and creates a series similar to the Lucas Oil late model series? There are lots of late model series out there, and they've managed to get enough cars to support a schedule like this, and even get it on TV as well, (even if it is the Versus channel).
http://www.lucasdirt.com/tour.php
Emmet's already stated that they hope to do 30 to 40 races next year, so instead of going to late model country, and since I live in Kansas City, and it's my late night ramblings, say he brought the same purses to I 55 in Pevely, Lake Ozark Speedway, Lucas Oil Speedway, Knoxville, Eagle, Ne., McCool Jct. Ne., Lakeside, Husets Speedway in Souix Falls, S. Dakota, Sun Prairie, I-30 in Little Rock, Riverside Speedway in West Memphis, Devils Bowl in Dallas, Oklahoma City, lots of Ohio and Illinois tracks to work with? How many adventurous teams would we see hitting the road? I don't follow late models that closely, so I don't know how many full time travelers they have?
Maybe there are more late models around the country to fill the fields? I don't know how much they pay for say 10th place for the late model guys, but if it's worth while, and they could get similar purses for the Bandits, could we see more winged guys taking the lids off to go after some of those Lucas Oil dollars?
I think a lot of eyes have been opened by the races at Oskaloosa. A lot of fans, especially the younger ones, who grew up seeing nothing but winged racing in this area, are growing tired of the high speed parades, and are finally starting to realize that a few seconds a lap slower can translate into much more excitement, and closer racing on the track.
In my fantasy world, USAC would look at these as opportunities to expand, much the same as they have embraced PowerI's Gold Crown midget race. If they had scheduled against it, you would have two half assed shows, but working together, you have a race that has instantly became a classic, that people talk about all year.
Only time will tell. You folks in Indiana are spoiled! It would sure be nice if you shared some of your talent with the rest of us, instead of making us drive 8 hours (in my case) or more to see quality sprint car racing! You'd still have plenty of talent for weekly races,,, but it would be nice to see the professional drivers come to us a few more times a year, instead of the fans around the country having to come to them!
Whatever happens, I hope for safe racing, no matter what flag they are flying under.

Jim Thurman
Last edited by spindell; 9/4/09 at 4:58 AM.

3 members like this post: Hubie, interpreter66, mowerman
9/4/09, 10:42 AM   #57
maradamx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Since this thread has drifted off topic, I will go ahead and help it. I want everyone to remember that not everything that Emmitt has touched has turned out golden. A couple of years ago, he was going to start a 410 program to compete with the Outlaws which went no where. It is too early to judge his National 360 tour that he started this year. However, there were a lot of schedule cancelations to start the year.

I love midget racing, and hope that he has success. However, I am not sure that starting a midget division in the OK and Texas region is going to be a success. Neither region has been known for great midget racing.
You must not know the history of midget racing in the South. Midgets have had a great record of racing in Texas and Oklahoma. It has been a few years, but midgets thrived in the South for years. Recent history would agree with you, but the Texas and Oklahoma midgets are around and will come out to play.

9/4/09, 10:50 AM   #58
interpreter66

[QUOTE=E.P.;132525]Just my .02....

then maybe this is a good thing ,sometimes you need a good kick in the to make you realize you have taken your product for granted for way to long, this isn't the old day's anymore (like it or not ) and buisness is done differently (like it or not )

9/4/09, 11:06 AM   #59
SUPERDUKE
Banned

There will be speedweeks in texas tenn- ky iowa -minn ill ok- mo. Mich. 0ver 40 non-wing races plus point fund maybe more race and money! Hes got it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

[QUOTE=interpreter66;132615]
Quote:
Just my .02....

then maybe this is a good thing ,sometimes you need a good kick in the to make you realize you have taken your product for granted for way to long, this isn't the old day's anymore (like it or not ) and buisness is done differently (like it or not )
HOW CAN YOU DO SOMETHING WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwbackracingteam View Post
He likes non wing sprints and must feel there is enough support for it in
"his region". Althuogh i wouldn't predict good enough car counts. As for that
format everyone loves including myself, i don't think it is wise for non wing
racing to use that on a regular basis because of the added amount of events
it forces guys to run which puts them at risk even more. This format was developed
for winged racing to skip time trials and and somehow provide some sort of good racing.
Oskaloosa and lakeside were tough on cars and drivers the last couple years so i
think usac should stick with their traditional format but maybe invert 8 instead of 6.
its over for usac! When emmitt comes to indiana & ohio

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns17 View Post
i think the one thing that people forget is that usac is a not for profit that gives huge surpluses of cash to charity every year. I'm sure if another sanctioning body tried to come into the hoosier state and muscle usac out of power, they would use those extra resources to improve the experience and keep their position. But i do think if it was done right, the two would co-exist no problem. I don't know anyone who has a problem with more racing.
there broke!!!!!!!!!! No money giving too charity!!!!!!!!!!! Dick king stoled all the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/4/09, 12:19 PM   #60
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindell View Post
I can't help wondering what the coming years might bring? Say Emmet does get some Lucas Oil $$ behind him and creates a series similar to the Lucas Oil late model series? There are lots of late model series out there, and they've managed to get enough cars to support a schedule like this, and even get it on TV as well, (even if it is the Versus channel).
http://www.lucasdirt.com/tour.php
Emmet's already stated that they hope to do 30 to 40 races next year, so instead of going to late model country, and since I live in Kansas City, and it's my late night ramblings, say he brought the same purses to I 55 in Pevely, Lake Ozark Speedway, Lucas Oil Speedway, Knoxville, Eagle, Ne., McCool Jct. Ne., Lakeside, Husets Speedway in Souix Falls, S. Dakota, Sun Prairie, I-30 in Little Rock, Riverside Speedway in West Memphis, Devils Bowl in Dallas, Oklahoma City, lots of Ohio and Illinois tracks to work with? How many adventurous teams would we see hitting the road? I don't follow late models that closely, so I don't know how many full time travelers they have?
Maybe there are more late models around the country to fill the fields? I don't know how much they pay for say 10th place for the late model guys, but if it's worth while, and they could get similar purses for the Bandits, could we see more winged guys taking the lids off to go after some of those Lucas Oil dollars?
I think a lot of eyes have been opened by the races at Oskaloosa. A lot of fans, especially the younger ones, who grew up seeing nothing but winged racing in this area, are growing tired of the high speed parades, and are finally starting to realize that a few seconds a lap slower can translate into much more excitement, and closer racing on the track.
In my fantasy world, USAC would look at these as opportunities to expand, much the same as they have embraced PowerI's Gold Crown midget race. If they had scheduled against it, you would have two half assed shows, but working together, you have a race that has instantly became a classic, that people talk about all year.
Only time will tell. You folks in Indiana are spoiled! It would sure be nice if you shared some of your talent with the rest of us, instead of making us drive 8 hours (in my case) or more to see quality sprint car racing! You'd still have plenty of talent for weekly races,,, but it would be nice to see the professional drivers come to us a few more times a year, instead of the fans around the country having to come to them!
Whatever happens, I hope for safe racing, no matter what flag they are flying under.

Jim Thurman
A weekly dirt late model show pays way more then a special non wing show. Asphalt late models call a $5000 to win show big. Whereas Lucas DLM shows pay $10,000. There is a lot to discuss when it comes to pavement/dirt, late model/sprint and wing/traditional. There is just a lot of late models out there, so having 2 National series, 6-8 regional series is possible. Go to dirtondirt.com and see their schedule page for purse info. Also the uproar on 4m when the DTWC announced there would be non wing sprints at Lawrenceburg, it was the "not sprints, they always flip", "here comes the red flags" seniment that a lot of late model fans have. I love both. You are right about being spoiled. Indiana, and the bordering states (and parts of California) are the only ones who run good traditional sprints. Late models run all over the place. Nobody knows who Dave Darland or Tracy Hines are. Everyone knows Steve Kinser and Scott Bloomquist. USAC is a cycling club to many people. No disrespect, just some of you Hoosiers need to get out of your own state to see the rest of the racing world (and I don't count going to the Chili Bowl). I understand how cool these cars are, but the rest of the US or Canada doesn't.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 9/4/09 at 12:21 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's Tony Stewart Racing????