IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne Rumble Race
12/30/08, 9:34 AM   #11
Re: Ft. Wayne Rumble Race
chracing17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
Even in the micros, if you spun, you sometimes got your spot back. And how has nobody brought up from Friday Dave Darland getting the screwjob of the weekend, after tangling with a lapped car and having to go to the rear, when everybody else got their spot back.
Interesting part about that is the lap car was Mike Fedorcek, which somehow ended up 3rd on the lead lap. I think they need transponders to help score. I can't imagine trying to score these races by hand. Too much confusion.

12/30/08, 9:48 PM   #12
micro94

Wasnt there.Im glad from the sound of this thred.If you spin and come to a stop you go to the back.Period.Whats so hard about that?

12/31/08, 12:07 AM   #13
fast one

The same thing happened the first night in Toledo. The second place car was a lap down but scored second and several people brought this to their attention and when going thru the score sheets with one of them there were a few score sheets missing. I think they need to look into transponders with them turning lap times that quick on that small of a track.

12/31/08, 9:56 AM   #14
Tony Barhorst

I asked Larry Boos our race director to comment on this thread...Keep in mind that if a driver gets spun by someone and loses his spot..there is bound to be controversy there also. Here is Larry's statement. We cannot argue each incident, and the intent here is not to argue with you. This is our indoor racing rule...and it has cut down on rough driving. If it were the old way..then someone would end up screwed by getting spun on purpose.

Indoor racing is tough and comes with contact. It is very easy to gain positions by simply pushing and shoving your way through. The rule of getting your spot back if determined to be deliberately spun out has been in force for the five years that I’ve been the race director and until this year was accepted – not sure why folks are up in arms this year. I can go back to the old way, but then the demolition derby will begin and he who has the biggest and strongest bumper will win.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 12/31/08 at 9:59 AM.

12/31/08, 1:27 PM   #15
fast one

The move on Sat. night was no different than the ones stewart took out on Friday to get to the front, he didn't pass a car on Friday night from his 5th place starting spot without spinning them and NONE of them got their spot back. Then again would you deny your boss a win and the highlight of the race not to win and put those cars back in front of him to pass again. If Stewart doesn't pass cleanly on Friday he goes 0 for 2 at the Rumble in Fort Wayne.

12/31/08, 1:30 PM   #16
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chracing17 View Post
Interesting part about that is the lap car was Mike Fedorcek, which somehow ended up 3rd on the lead lap. I think they need transponders to help score. I can't imagine trying to score these races by hand. Too much confusion.
The #97 car was not lapped. He was in the process of being lapped when the leader spun. A caution was thrown and scoring reverted back to the previous lap. Darland went to the tail and whomever was running in second place became the new leader. If Darland would have completed the pass Fedorcak would have been a lap down... he didn't, so Fedorcak did not lose a lap.

12/31/08, 2:03 PM   #17
Tony Barhorst

Fast One,

We have no agenda to get Tony Stewart wins..he can do that on his own..Once again..I am not going to anylize every call...I stand by my officials...Tony "did not spin every car he passed"...(what an insult and lie)...He did make contact with Lou...it was judged that it was not an intent to spin..The spin rule we have is made to dampen rough, equipment damaging contact (that has been accomplished with this rule)....that being said....controversy may ...and will occur...because that is the nature of racing.

In regard to the scoring...it was great to have Sandy Lowe working with us (in Fort Wayne.) Simply one of the best. The scoring is not easy...how did you score from the stands?...Transponders are a good idea...but need to be buried...not possible on the arena floors...Perhaps in Toledo.

We have the races on video...check em out when they are ready:

http://www.highvistavideo.com/

Here is a link to the first post on IOW from "Fast One"...He started out stirring up crap...and looks like he developed a taste for it.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=6607
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 12/31/08 at 3:25 PM.

12/31/08, 2:30 PM   #18
wbr

I asked the guy next to me in the pits why the #56 was put back in his spot twice, I figured it was because he was spun intentionally, but didn't know for sure until I read this thread. I like the idea of putting the cars back and have no problem with a mistake being made occasionally. Larry Boos and his race crew are the best in the business, we have raced numerous indoor shows and Tony Barhost and Larry Boos have always put on the best ones.
The competition was much higher than the recent past with 10-12 quality midgets. We approach the race differently than most with our under powered Kenyon car. We look at the event as an opportunity to visit with our racing friends, get our methanol fumes fix and get to race all in one.
Some other things I discovered during the event:
Tony Barhost does a lot of work to make sure the race is an event, not just a race.
Don Moore can sing like a pro!

12/31/08, 2:38 PM   #19
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
lets all face it, the compition this year was much better than in years past. There are only 14 starting spots in the feature. When you have 20 good drivers there they can not all make the feature. This is what makes this race so special. I do like that you have to race for everything in this series. When you screw up in the heat race, and transfer thru the consi u start on the tail. This is very good. The only thing i wish we could do is make this a 3 or 4 night affair. I know teams really can not aford to so it, but I would love to see some other support classes ome in on the other days. The track gets so good at the end of night number 2 it would be awsome to see a night number 3. Free idea for you tony, night number 3 run 3 20 lap heat races. start 16 in the feature. (yes thats to many) top 5 from each heat race then the fastest qualifier not in the field. These guys come back for a 40 lap feature.
I remember hearing this was going to be a three day event this year with SUnday being just the midgets and the micro's. My source on this is one I would believe no matter what. That's why I had a reservation for Sunday night but unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I had to cancel the entire trip. My one vacation in this year and I had to cancel because of our wonderfuol economy.

767, it's a great idea but it's never going to happen. It's like bringing back innovation to the Indy 500: the powers that be don't want it to happen.

wbr, I agree with you. It's a great way to get our methanol fix and visit friends. Hopefully in 2009 we will have this again. Hopefully the dates get set soon.

12/31/08, 2:45 PM   #20
Tony Barhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
I remember hearing this was going to be a three day event this year with SUnday being just the midgets and the micro's. My source on this is one I would believe no matter what. That's why I had a reservation for Sunday night but unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I had to cancel the entire trip. My one vacation in this year and I had to cancel because of our wonderfuol economy.

767, it's a great idea but it's never going to happen. It's like bringing back innovation to the Indy 500: the powers that be don't want it to happen.

wbr, I agree with you. It's a great way to get our methanol fix and visit friends. Hopefully in 2009 we will have this again. Hopefully the dates get set soon.
I always want more racing to happen...we did have 4 nights of racing in 7 days.
I will keep it in mind...The economy in the tank hurt many in 08..lets have a better 09.

Best Wishes
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne Rumble Race