IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt track at irp
7/1/12, 10:22 PM   #11
Re: Dirt track at irp
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurryinhoosier View Post
As cool as it would be to see a dirt track there...The current NHRA regime would just make it miserable to be there. $4.00 waters and $6.00 hamburgers and dirt fans will not work together.
and $5.00 to park....

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/1/12, 10:44 PM   #12
Jerry Shaw

In this hypothetical situation, where on the property do you propose they build the new dirt track?

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7/1/12, 11:10 PM   #13
calistoga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
In this hypothetical situation, where on the property do you propose they build the new dirt track? Jerry
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I know u dont know how to use a tape measure jerry. Its ok. Their's room!

Posted via Mobile Device

7/1/12, 11:16 PM   #14
NeddDogg28

I used to drive a dump truck and we hauled a bunch of fill in there a couple years ago to the north east corner of the track property. Also hauled some dirt to the new dirt pulling track they put in over next to the drag strip.... Rumor has it talked tne of the guys on the inside there is a possilbity of one going in there but that was over a year ago and nothing yet.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/1/12, 11:49 PM   #15
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by calistoga View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I know u dont know how to use a tape measure jerry. Its ok. Their's room!

Posted via Mobile Device
No, putting it in the center would just be silly. For one, the track would set too far back from the grandstand. The crowd would feel disconnected from the racing action, since, even at their closest point, the cars would never be that near to them. Secondly, if you put any degree of banking at all on the track you would obstruct the sight line to parts of the pavement track. Probably in the turns, where a lot of the passing takes place. Let alone trying to put up additional infield bleachers. That would really create even more blind spots.

As some of the others have suggested, Indiana is already dirt track rich. There's probably not a market for another venue. Especially a marginal one, like you're proposing.

Winston Churchill

7/2/12, 12:02 AM   #16
calistoga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
No, putting it in the center would just be silly. For one, the track would set too far back from the grandstand. The crowd would feel disconnected from the racing action, since, even at their closest point, the cars would never be that near to them. Secondly, if you put any degree of banking at all on the track you would obstruct the sight line to parts of the pavement track. Probably in the turns, where a lot of the passing takes place. Let alone trying to put up additional infield bleachers. That would really create even more blind spots.
As some of the others have suggested, Indiana is already dirt track rich. There's probably not a market for another venue. Especially a marginal one, like you're proposing.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Central indiana has zero. Once again zero dirt tracks. A kid who wants to see a race cant walk 60 miles jerry.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/2/12, 8:29 AM   #17
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Indianapolis had one of the most exciting dirt tracks ever built, the NEW 16th Street Speedway, and guess what? Nobody came! Opening night was packed, along with a few special promotional nights, but other then that, a few hundred of us were able to enjoy some of the closest racing ever seen, apologies to car owners, cause the track did take it's toll on cars (and flagmen). Alot of stories about why no one came, mostly the neighborhood, but we never had any trouble there.
And as far as central Indiana having NO race tracks close, that's hooey, yes i said hooey, pardon my language. From my home in beautiful downtown Speedway, In., 45 minutes to LPS, 1 hour to Bloomington, Paragon, Kokomo, 90 minutes to Gas City, 10 minutes to IRP, and a 2 minute walk to IMS. Try that ANYWHERE else in the USA! And as far as a "kid" walking 60 miles to a race track, most kids only walk to the video stores these days for the latest copy of some bloody video game. Even a dirt track at IRP is not "walking distance" for anyone living outside of Cleremont, IN. Central Indiana is the place to be for dirt track racing, just check the line-up sheets of drivers and see where they all come from. They have all moved to Indiana to be able to race 3 or 4 nights a week. IRP doesn't need a dirt track unless they want to lose money, even now, the grandstands for the paved oval are hardly occupied on a race night. Just like the final opinions on building a wall around Bloomington's track...just leave it alone. Things are fine the way they are...and of course, jmho, bob

4 members like this post: Claybird33, Racer12, Speedwrench, TqMidget41&84
7/2/12, 8:45 AM   #18
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
Indianapolis had one of the most exciting dirt tracks ever built, the NEW 16th Street Speedway, and guess what? Nobody came! Opening night was packed, along with a few special promotional nights, but other then that, a few hundred of us were able to enjoy some of the closest racing ever seen, apologies to car owners, cause the track did take it's toll on cars (and flagmen). Alot of stories about why no one came, mostly the neighborhood, but we never had any trouble there.
And as far as central Indiana having NO race tracks close, that's hooey, yes i said hooey, pardon my language. From my home in beautiful downtown Speedway, In., 45 minutes to LPS, 1 hour to Bloomington, Paragon, Kokomo, 90 minutes to Gas City, 10 minutes to IRP, and a 2 minute walk to IMS. Try that ANYWHERE else in the USA! And as far as a "kid" walking 60 miles to a race track, most kids only walk to the video stores these days for the latest copy of some bloody video game. Even a dirt track at IRP is not "walking distance" for anyone living outside of Cleremont, IN. Central Indiana is the place to be for dirt track racing, just check the line-up sheets of drivers and see where they all come from. They have all moved to Indiana to be able to race 3 or 4 nights a week. IRP doesn't need a dirt track unless they want to lose money, even now, the grandstands for the paved oval are hardly occupied on a race night. Just like the final opinions on building a wall around Bloomington's track...just leave it alone. Things are fine the way they are...and of course, jmho, bob
Thank You.................Thats what I said in essence, only my response was ............

7/2/12, 12:16 PM   #19
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post

Many local people complained about the race car noise. Apparently, it was drowning out the normal sound of gunfire in that neighborhood.

7/2/12, 12:26 PM   #20
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

...yeah, they had to shout to make their crack deals. But i guess the soccer field across the street, that's still there and games go till the a.m. hours, is fine with the neighbors. I think the main problem was all the race track dirt that got on their $10,oo. homes. Seriously though, Tony George's comments when the track closed were "I don't know why we didn't use our million dollar p.r. department right down the street to help the track". Gosh Tony, neither do we. Always a shame to loose a race track, so get out there and go to the races, save a race track, bob.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt track at irp