IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #51 8/5/09 5:16 PM
With all due respect to the Stocktons, this is why when this series was first talked about I said that it needed to be unlike anything else in the area to draw and maintain a core group of cars. To do so would require a 2-3 year commitment with growing pains.

The way it was; it was not enough unlike everything else to make it unique. There are not many Steel Block cars running anymore because aluminum blocks can be fixed and aluminum motors can be bought for $7-$12,000 and be a good piece. In order for a steel block series to be successful, it has to have enough time to build a track record and have guys build motors to race with them. Thing is, look at how many guys say they lost motors this year with how few of races and cars ran. The problem with low buck teams is that they are on such a ragged edge in terms of equipment, it doesn't take much to push them over the edge. That hurts car counts and causes groups to have to change course.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #52 8/5/09 5:54 PM
Originally Posted by chadsniffsmethanol:
Chandler is a very poorly ran joint, I still find it hard to believe that they are actually going to run sprint cars there...
Originally Posted by lugnut18:
I could not have said that better myself.
It has not happened yet fellas..........................
ronmil (Offline)
  #53 8/5/09 9:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
It has not happened yet fellas..........................
I haven't been there in years, but they actually did run a USAC sprint car race there, in 1988 I believe, but I'll have to check my records. I was there but don't remember a lot of details. We discussed this earlier this year. Chuck Amati won the race, and I believe there were seventeen entries.

Ron Miller
Pushtruck (Offline)
  #54 8/5/09 9:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tim:
Joe Chambers,

Are you supporting this decision?

Tim Simmons
Tim,

I am on vacation in Las Vegas and was unaware of this decision or any conversations concerning it. I have had many, many phones calls about this decision since it was posted, but none from Sam. I am in support of the concept of the Sprint Car Owners Racing Association and unfortunately all of the drivers who have been racing with the series that I have spoken to were not consulted either. My understanding when Sam and I sat down and discussed putting this series together was any major rules change was to be voted on by the drivers and/or drivers committee listed on the SCORA web site. That apparently didn't happen with this major decision.

I will make a decision on my future involvement with the series when I return to Indiana on Friday. I support the drivers of this series and their majority decision. None of the drivers committee members or steel block drivers I have spoken to are in favor of adding aluminum blocks to this "steel block only" series. The drivers are the ones who will ultimatley make or break this series with their support or lack there of.

We knew the inaugural season was going to be a building season and the support and numbers were steadily growing in the right direction. The racing was exceptional and I would like to personally thank the 30+ drivers who have supported this series when they could. This is a working mans series and I understand everyone cannot be at every race.

Joe Chambers
SCORA Race Director
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #55 8/5/09 9:50 PM
didnt they run sprints at chandler years ago...i thought they did...i know they ran them at Windy Holler
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #56 8/5/09 9:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wallsracing:
didnt they run sprints at chandler years ago...i thought they did...i know they ran them at Windy Holler
And along them lines (and off topic I add) ran them at a KY. deathtrap called McHenry. Fast 1/2 miler.

Good luck at Chandler..............Who will show??????????????
sprint38racer (Offline)
  #57 8/5/09 10:53 PM
I remember they ran a winged show at chandler about 1997 or 1998. Believe they had six cars and won by Matt Gilles. That deathtrap in Kentucky called McHenry was a wicked fast big 1/2 mile, with basically a cliff off at the end of turns one and two. It was a spooky place to run.
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #58 8/5/09 10:59 PM
the talk and that other board is they are tryin to re open...oh yeah everyone south of ky state line....calls is Mac Henry...lol...i agree wicked fast
Posted via Mobile Device
ClaytonYeley (Offline)
  #59 8/5/09 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wallsracing:
oh yeah everyone south of ky state line....calls is Mac Henry...lolPosted via Mobile Device
Hey now, Ya'LL quit making fun of us Kentucky folks...lol :2:
Bryans57 (Offline)
  #60 8/5/09 11:23 PM
Should have not changed the rules with 5-6 races left in the series!!!!! What about top 10 in car owner points? Are they locked into the features that are left? We changed drivers!
Closed Thread