IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Scora opens engine rules
8/4/09, 11:02 PM   #21
Re: Scora opens engine rules
spicoli

I've posted on here several times that the rules should accomodate aluminum blocks.

It's not a matter of running for 600 to win. It's a matter of being able to compete and race every week. It's a matter of being on the track, best seat in the house.

But to lock in the top ten in points to the top ten in the feature? Are you kidding me???? I understand showing some allegiance to those that are there every week...but in the same breath you kick the new guys to the curb. This is RACING, right???

Aluminum blocks...good decision, even though it's a little late in the year.
Lock in top ten...bad descision. (might be god for the top ten in points, but bad for the fans, bad for the new guys starting out)
Weight rule...good decision.
Injector rule...bad decision. How are you gonna police this???

If anything, go to a header rule...everybody can see who's legit, easy to police.

8/4/09, 11:21 PM   #22
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
I've posted on here several times that the rules should accomodate aluminum blocks.

It's not a matter of running for 600 to win. It's a matter of being able to compete and race every week. It's a matter of being on the track, best seat in the house.

But to lock in the top ten in points to the top ten in the feature? Are you kidding me???? I understand showing some allegiance to those that are there every week...but in the same breath you kick the new guys to the curb. This is RACING, right???

Aluminum blocks...good decision, even though it's a little late in the year.
Lock in top ten...bad descision. (might be god for the top ten in points, but bad for the fans, bad for the new guys starting out)
Weight rule...good decision.
Injector rule...bad decision. How are you gonna police this???

If anything, go to a header rule...everybody can see who's legit, easy to police.
The Injection rule will actually be easy to regulate.You probably don't know it but 5 out of top 10 wont be there or can't make it..And 3 of them are done for the year..

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Just my .02 worth but what I've seen with this series (i apologize if i mis-speak here as i'm working off memory) is that tracks have used Sam and the series as a low buck way to promote sprint cars at their venues and tried to stick it to the fans at the front gate. I think Charleston had a $15 or $20 admission earlier in the year that i commented on and now Chandler thinks they can bump to $15 and advertise sprint cars even though they only are $600 to win and may only have 10 cars show up. I think Sam may have had noble intentions when this thing was concieved but it should be obvious from the support (or lack thereof) that the racing community is not behind such a series. Sam should have gone back and taken a position with the MSCS and worked with an already established organization to curb racing costs as oppposed to trying to start from scratch. Hell if I were the MSCS I wouldn't have paid the guy a dime for the rights without a no-compete just because of crap like this. Who knows maybe somebody will purchase SCORA and Sam will start another series in a couple of years...
We have NO control of what promoters charge..(UNFORTUNATELY!!!) We try to give advice to them but they usually inform in so many words that they know more than we do...
Last edited by john3g; 8/4/09 at 11:22 PM.

8/5/09, 1:14 AM   #23
chadsniffsmethanol

Chandler is a very poorly ran joint, I still find it hard to believe that they are actually going to run sprint cars there...

8/5/09, 9:02 AM   #24
J.D.

I think a lot of you people are missing the point. The motor isn't everything and the type of guys who will pull to this show will be the ones that just love to race. They will be teams who have to buy there parts used from high dollar teams just so they can do what they love to do. Most of them would give the $600 back just to be able to stand in victoy lane at the end of the night. If you want a rule here it is: tire rule for alum. motors and for steel blocks no rule!!!!

2 members like this post: Joey Woods, Motormasher
8/5/09, 9:35 AM   #25
Keith Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by speidel21 View Post
Dave, i dont think its anything that your doing wrong yourself. You run a great smooth show, facility is awesome, response team is the best around,and payout is outstanding. not really sure about how the car counts get at other places. paragon pays only 500 to win and always has lots of cars and its a dump. dont know if its the location or size of track or competition or what not but i dont think you are doing anything wrong yourself.
keith ford thanks

8/5/09, 9:39 AM   #26
J.D.

Don't get me wrong, I know these guys need some money coming in to help support their hobby so we fans can enjoy the show they put on for us! I vote for an open tire rule for steel blocks at all tracks and a rule on the light weight alum. motors. This would be a rule that would be interesting to see how it works for the remainder of the season. This might be pushin it a little, but no udjustable shocks for alum. motors. Now they have all the hp. but getting it to the track is even! JMO

8/5/09, 9:40 AM   #27
jjones776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallsracing View Post
i guess jjones was right all along just took a while...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
i knew it was just a matter of time. chase stockton must have got himself an aluminum motor.

heres the thread from early june about how they were not going to make it an open series.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=18022
Last edited by jjones776; 8/5/09 at 9:42 AM.

1 member likes this post: Motormasher
8/5/09, 10:13 AM   #28
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones776 View Post
i knew it was just a matter of time. chase stockton must have got himself an aluminum motor.

heres the thread from early june about how they were not going to make it an open series.

Is the best reason you can come with?? Chase bought a an aluminum block?? How about this,"Well Gurley's brother has an aluminum motor,so thats why they made the change". Or were you just being funny? The dicision would have had nothing to do with the fact of needing to keep promoters on the hook for next year by increasing the car counts or that having this type of series is better than none at all??? Naw,it couldn't be! Your right it's because Chase and about 15 other teams that have contacted me with interest in running with us have aluminum engines..Come on..Hell if we had all the interest that this rule change has made on this message board we would have been a huge series..:2:

8/5/09, 10:41 AM   #29
gentry26x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones776 View Post

Totally understand your thinking there jjones. But Chase has had an aluminum engine for several years. He just blew up the steel one?! But, when Sam started this series Chase did not have a steel engine. They aquired the steel engine this year because they love to race.

8/5/09, 10:58 AM   #30
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rudisell View Post
I have a quick question about scora, is there a entry fee for drivers competing in the series? or all they pay for is a pit pass at the track, maybe a annual membership fee?
I am just trying to figure out why a team would want to race for $600 to win?
We have had room at our races for more cars, we pay $225 to start for a $25 pit pass. we have been starting 24 cars lately, and have been having less cars than that. I just don't understand i guess.
Please somebody make me understand this.
Thanks, Dave
Did you ever think that in your rush to be the greatest facility in Indiana, you didn't understand your core group of racers and what teams were needing in order to compete at your facility?

Dave, you have a top notch facility and the type of race track I personally enjoy, but there is a reason places like Eldora don't have a weekly sprint series. You have to use these places as specialty stops for a touring series to get good counts.

Honestly, I think it's wonderful what your purse pays, and guys who see your counts are down will come over to get the start money, but it will take alot of money to get a good weekly count.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 8/5/09 at 1:23 PM.

1 member likes this post: Motormasher
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Scora opens engine rules