IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Full Moon Over Terre Haute
10/15/16, 11:14 PM   #1
A Full Moon Over Terre Haute
Jerry Shaw

As race fans, we often don’t know what to think when we see a full moon. Because when it’s in it’s full phase, it can mean a lot of things. Many times, extraordinary things happen during this phase. At a race track, it can be a wild and rough night and none of us want to see that. But it can also be put there to illuminate historic events that are about to unfold. Events that when they happen, we all know ten or twenty years from now we will still remember and talk about. Luckily for those of us who were at the Terre Haute Action Track tonight, it turned out to be the latter.

Early in the race, Chad Boespflug and Justin Grant jumped out front. But, as that was happening, many eyes were on the orange 5 car, as before the first lap was even completed, 4th row starter Chris Windom had begun his tear through the top 5. And when he passed Grant, the stage was set and the two stars of this show had stepped forward. 5 laps in Chris made his move and for a short time looked as if he might just walk away from the field. But Chad came charging back! Chris was running the bottom part of of the race track and Chad was screaming around the top on the turns 3 and 4 end and also diving for the bottom in turns 1 and 2. Chris was much better in 1 and 2 and coming out of 2 looked dominant. But Chad was going so fast around the top of the other end and would be right on top of Chris as they case to the flag stand, lap after lap after lap! But then, you started noticing that Chad was doing better and better getting in and out of 1 and two. He had eroded Chris’s advantage and as they came down the backstretch was pulling even with Chris. A few laps later he had taken the lead and dove down in front of Chris going into 1 and as they came out of 2 he appeared to have the advantage on both ends and for a few laps looked might he might be on his way to another big win. But just that quick, Chris changed his tactics. He also started running the top in 3 and 4 and had caught back up to the leader. For several laps, Chris would make daring attempts to get his lead back by flying into turn 3, seeming not to lifting at all, only to see Chad fight him off with the speed he was generating coming out of 4. And about that time they started running into more lapped traffic, Chris continued his aggression diving into the 3rd turn, Chad would lose some of his momentum weaving on and out of lappers and we would see one more breathtaking move executed by Chris going into turn 3 and he would seize the lead for good. He would take the checkered and us race fans, for the first time in 30 laps could actually start breathing again.

I don’t know whether it was the full moon. Or it was the spirit of Jim Hurtubise, who was one of my dad's hero's. Or it was Bryan Clauson, who was one of mine, smiling down on our historic half mile oval tonight. But it was something. Because I’ve been going this place since before I learned how to walk and I can’t remember all that many races better than the one we were able to witness tonight.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/16/16 at 2:35 AM.

10/15/16, 11:24 PM   #2
Rpracing1

Agree Jerry. Windom and the Baldwin team seem to really click at that joint over the years.

10/15/16, 11:33 PM   #3
Re: A Full Moon Over Terre Haute
Rapid Rick

The Action Track was well prepared for good racing tonight; and it certainly didn't disappoint. On the road at 9:00. Great way to end the USAC season in the Midwest.

10/16/16, 12:36 AM   #4
sw1911

Great race, great recap. Just wish BC and Ballou could have been there mixing it up with Chris and Chad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/16/16, 12:52 AM   #5
bmemmer

I'm only 28 and haven't been around too long unlike most of you on here but that was one of the top 5 races I've witnessed in person period.

10/16/16, 1:13 AM   #6
BrentTFunk

I also thought it was a great race. On the road at 9 to top it off. Great job by the teams, Track Enterprises, and USAC. What a battle for first. I though Chad had him when he had the lap car between them, but passed both of them going into 3. Good race.

10/16/16, 9:01 AM   #7
Backitin

As usual I'm confused. Two posts in a row, two completely different outlooks.
I'm gonna go with the race report, sounded good to me no matter the surface.

10/16/16, 9:47 AM   #8
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
The Action Track was well prepared for good racing tonight; and it certainly didn't disappoint. On the road at 9:00. Great way to end the USAC season in the Midwest.
I think every race at the Action Track has been over by 10:00 PM for several years now if the weather was good. But having the checkered fall just before 9:00 PM last night was phenomenal. Qualifying went off like clockwork as well.

Other than a red in the modified feature there were no delays and both the heats and the features had some of the best racing you could ask for.

Windom's win was hard fought for and well deserved.

What a great event to end the Midwest USAC sprint season. They should really think about running this race in mid October next year as well.

Last edited by 2140rc; 10/16/16 at 9:50 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jerry Shaw, mc/rider, midnightrider
10/16/16, 11:19 AM   #9
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
As race fans, we often don’t know what to think when we see a full moon. Because when it’s in it’s full phase, it can mean a lot of things. Many times, extraordinary things happen during this phase. At a race track, it can be a wild and rough night and none of us want to see that. But it can also be put there to illuminate historic events that are about to unfold. Events that when they happen, we all know ten or twenty years from now we will still remember and talk about. Luckily for those of us who were at the Terre Haute Action Track tonight, it turned out to be the latter.

Early in the race, Chad Boespflug and Justin Grant jumped out front. But, as that was happening, many eyes were on the orange 5 car, as before the first lap was even completed, 4th row starter Chris Windom had begun his tear through the top 5. And when he passed Grant, the stage was set and the two stars of this show had stepped forward. 5 laps in Chris made his move and for a short time looked as if he might just walk away from the field. But Chad came charging back! Chris was running the bottom part of of the race track and Chad was screaming around the top on the turns 3 and 4 end and also diving for the bottom in turns 1 and 2. Chris was much better in 1 and 2 and coming out of 2 looked dominant. But Chad was going so fast around the top of the other end and would be right on top of Chris as they came to the flag stand, lap after lap after lap! But then, you started noticing that Chad was doing better and better getting in and out of 1 and two. He had eroded Chris’s advantage and as they came down the backstretch was pulling even with Chris. A few laps later he had taken the lead and dove down in front of Chris going into 1 and as they came out of 2 he appeared to have the advantage on both ends and for a few laps looked might he might be on his way to another big win. But just that quick, Chris changed his tactics. He also started running the top in 3 and 4 and had caught back up to the leader. For several laps, Chris would make daring attempts to get his lead back by flying into turn 3, seeming not to lifting at all, only to see Chad fight him off with the speed he was generating coming out of 4. And about that time they started running into more lapped traffic, Chris continued his aggression diving into the 3rd turn, Chad would lose some of his momentum weaving on and out of lappers and we would see one more breathtaking move executed by Chris going into turn 3 and he would seize the lead for good. He would take the checkered and us race fans, for the first time in 30 laps could actually start breathing again.

I don’t know whether it was the full moon. Or it was the spirit of Jim Hurtubise, who was one of my dad's hero's. Or it was Bryan Clauson, who was one of mine, smiling down on our historic half mile oval tonight. But it was something. Because I’ve been going this place since before I learned how to walk and I can’t remember all that many races better than the one we were able to witness tonight.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry,the quality of your recaps put me back in the bleachers
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/16/16 at 5:52 PM.

10/16/16, 11:48 AM   #10
BrentTFunk

A shout out to Jerry Coons Jr, and the Edison team on a good run for third.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Full Moon Over Terre Haute