IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City and Kokomo
6/9/16, 8:45 AM   #1
Gas City and Kokomo
maddog53

Race Count This Year: 10

2 buddies (1 has been there) and I are going to the first leg (Gas City and Kokomo) of Sprint Weeks this year. Coming in from Sun Prairie WI, Milwaukee, WI and Mchenry, IL. What is a good time to get to the tracks in order to take in the sights, smells etc? Should we go in the pits or stay n the grandstands and try to get a good seat? Any suggestions for good viewing angles from the stands? The guy who has been there before told me that after seeing just 2 of the races, I will be hooked and will drop every race planned for 2017 and take the trek and do the whole Sprint Weeks tour next year. I'm down with that. I am a winged sprint guy, who follows the IRA around Wisconsin, and see's the Outlaws a minimum of once per year. What should we look for? I first came onto this site last year asking similar questions, so it only took one season to make the plans. I appreciated all of the input to my questions last year, and maybe I can get some great suggestions this year. Thanks

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/9/16, 10:23 AM   #2
Re: Gas City and Kokomo
KingRandomUser

Most will tell you to hit some places in town, mostly eateries to savor local tastes. Which would be a good suggestion to take in the sights, the food, and just the atmosphere of each town. You can easily spend most of the day doing all this. So get in town around lunch time and spend the early afternoon taking things in.

As for Gas City, get there early as you can. Seats go fast, and ideally you will want to be in the top half of the stands. Pits are also not too bad an option either. As far as I remember you can still get in early to mark your seats.

Kokomo has a lot of recommended places to visit. You can't get in early to mark seats, but the line to get in starts kinda early around 2ish where most will line up their blankets or whatever by the gate and then come stand there around 15 min before the gates open. At the same time though there aren't really any bad seats here. Pits and the backstretch are also good options too.

Indeed, do yourself a favor and make plans to do the entire stretch one year. You WILL be hooked and it'll be an annual trip for you.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, maddog53, scottyCbus
6/9/16, 11:13 AM   #3
Stevensville Mike

Gas City USED to let you into the pits a few hours before the races free of charge. You had to vacate at a certain time prior to hot laps. But that was under the old owner regime.

Do they still do this? Anyone?

6/9/16, 11:25 AM   #4
maddog53

Do these tracks allow you to go into the grandstands if you have a pit pass?

6/9/16, 11:29 AM   #5
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Gas City USED to let you into the pits a few hours before the races free of charge. You had to vacate at a certain time prior to hot laps. But that was under the old owner regime.

Do they still do this? Anyone?
You can buy a 50/50 ticket at Gas City for a buck and in turn you can go in the pits until the drivers meeting.

Also, yes you can move between the stands and pits freely at both tracks if you buy a pit pass. That's actually an easy way to avoid the line at either when they first open the grandstands.

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, maddog53
6/9/16, 1:32 PM   #6
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

You must be Brian's friend? Can't wait to see you guys!!

1 member likes this post: Stealth87
6/9/16, 1:54 PM   #7
maddog53

That I am, and Thanks. Looking very much forward to it....

1 member likes this post: racegal
6/9/16, 4:52 PM   #8
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Sitting at the turn 4 end of the grandstands at both tracks will almost guarantee at one point in the night you are going to get sprayed with mud. However, watching the cars ride the cushion at Kokomo from this vantage point is awesome. Do yourself a favor and get a porkchop sandwich at Kokomo.

6/10/16, 9:52 AM   #9
Stealth87

Hey everyone. So I have only been to THAT and LPS for Sprint week. Have made a solo trip to Kokomo and Gas City for a weekly show. But this will be the first time to both for Sprint week. Do you think getting to Gas City by 3pm would give us a pretty good selection of seats? Can we just go in and lay a blanket down and then go get food, or go wander the pits? I cannot wait for sprint week at both these places! Pumped!

5 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, jim goerge, kwr, maddog53, racegal
6/10/16, 2:22 PM   #10
Jerry Spencer

The pits would be the best seat in my opinion but if you don't want to spend that kind of money for a pit pass do the 50/50 as they let you in the pits until the first motor fires, very good deal I think then go to the stands and get as high in the stands as possible. The very pretty lady at the pit gate is Jill her and her family run the show at Gas City and own Kokomo she is the nicest person you will meet and can answer all of you're question's.

As for eating The Halfmoon is the racers hangout and is the best Resturant in town they also sponsor Josh Spencer 66j motorsports, with the Moon on the side of our car we do everything in our power to get people to try the great food and atmosphere ( not sure if anyone does as much as I do to get people in the door. Pat on my back anyway you will leave full and at a very reasonable price, our fans have said they are glad Chris helps Josh as they are very loyal to Josh and enjoy eating there. The Moon is also very family friendly. Ask anyone that has been there you will make it a regular stop everytime you come close.

Now make sure you stop at the 66j trailer and introduce yourself.

Be safe and have fun, hope to see you soon

Jerry #66j
stida.com, Halfmoon Resturant and Brewery, Colescotts Mobil 1

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City and Kokomo