IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > This is why you don't drink and race. Paducah (KY) 5/13/2016
5/14/16, 4:42 PM   #1
This is why you don't drink and race. Paducah (KY) 5/13/2016
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

This is why don't drink and race - happened at Paducah (KY) International Raceway last night.
https://www.facebook.com/mcso32/phot...788564/?type=3
Last edited by nathans1012; 5/14/16 at 4:46 PM.

5/14/16, 4:46 PM   #2
Re: This is why you don't drink and race. Paducah (KY) 5/13/
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

link don't work

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/14/16, 4:47 PM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
link don't work
Try it now.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PIT CART
5/14/16, 8:08 PM   #4
Kinser11

Here is another one.

http://westkentuckystar.com/News/Loc...-Arrested.aspx

2 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012
5/14/16, 9:52 PM   #5
jim goerge

That's a dam shame. Maybe that track needs to have police field test drivers before they race

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, motorhead748
5/15/16, 9:47 AM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
That's a dam shame. Maybe that track needs to have police field test drivers before they race
That is one way to deal with it.

Not to debate your idea, Jim, for it has merit, but this goes back to the Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward incident and the debates about drivers, and crews, having illegal substances in their systems.

Sobriety tests for drivers are good - blow in the tube. But now who is going to pay for it? I guess you could charge each driver a certain fee to blow in the tube. If he or she does not they are excluded. You also have to have the local authorities, or testing people, on site to administer the tests. The authorities might "volunteer" their time but professional testing companies are not going to.

And then you get into things other than alcohol, like pot. Now you have blood or urinalysis testing. This takes more time and you do not get results immediately like the breathalyzer.

And we are only talking about drivers here. What about crews? If a crewman toked up the day before the race night and still can pee positive for a test, is he guilty of anything at the present time?

On one hand, addressing the issue and taking action is a HUGE undertaking. On the other hand, if events like this continue where one bad apple can spoil it for all, the track itself is going to have a bigger issue with possible legal action eventually being taken.

But a good point you make, Jim. Don't get me wrong. The subsequent undertaking, however, is mind-boggling. Maybe it can start with the random pill draw for heats. You draw a certain pill, you blow in the tube or pee in the bottle?
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 5/15/16 at 9:49 AM.

5/15/16, 10:22 AM   #7
flatout

Unreal.

5/15/16, 10:55 AM   #8
Backitin

Testing anyone for pot is completely idiotic. It stays in your system for 30 days. Think theres a shortage of cars now, see what happens when you test for pot. You might be amazed at whom smokes some.
It is also legal in some states. Most states will also be legalizing medical marijuana. It would be completely unfair to keep someone from racing if they smoked weeks ago.
Where we race the biggest thing is riders using speed. Most of the drinking is done afterwards.
Blow in a tube, yeah I'd do that to race. Take a urine test ? I'd find somewhere else to race.
This issue has been around as long as theres been alcohol and racing, after all alcohol is one of the worse drugs there is as far as addiction and ruined lives.
Life go's on.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, fish, micro23
5/15/16, 11:46 AM   #9
smith19

not to make it sound right.......but back in the day I know of few drivers both sprint and stock car that had a few beers at the track before and during the races...

5/15/16, 11:46 AM   #10
smith19

not to make it sound right.......but back in the day I know of a few drivers both sprint and stock car that had a few beers at the track before and during the races...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > This is why you don't drink and race. Paducah (KY) 5/13/2016