IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tax question
6/5/15, 8:38 AM   #1
Tax question
Distel18Sprint

Ok, I know this is going to be a dumb question....but it is something we didn't worry about 20 years ago. Giving out SS numbers at the various tracks you visit. I know they say a Federal ID tax number will work, but what if you don't have one? What if you don't have one,do you guys feel safe about handing out a SS number to the different tracks you visit? Or, should we stay home until I get one?

6/5/15, 9:14 AM   #2
Re: Tax question
gearguy

You can get a Fed tax ID number on line in a very short period of time. Much safer than giving out your SS#

6/5/15, 9:26 AM   #3
NEMA88

Theoretically, it is their job to protect sensitive information. It's just like any independent contractor who has to give their SSN to someone they are in business with. The tracks however should be having us fill out W-9's which is the official form for Request of Taxpayer Identification rather than their own paper they have printed out. With that being said, I'm sure it is "safer" to be using a TID, but I'm generally trustworthy enough that the companies we give our SSNs to are handling them properly and keeping that information secure. Nothing is completely safe, you're actually at more risk if you have had Anthem/BCBS in the past and hold a public job with posted salary information.

6/6/15, 8:29 AM   #4
Airsys

NO, I don't like giving mine out.

6/6/15, 3:47 PM   #5
chrismattlin

I think it's hilarious how everyone seems to be a tax collector these days! We do the IRS's work for them! What a joke; we supposedly live in a free country.

6/6/15, 7:50 PM   #6
djbamber

Whas that a free, or FEE country?

6/6/15, 9:58 PM   #7
Kinser11

A former track owner in Ohio, was just released from prison after serving 4 years for Id theft. A lot of people, that was involved in racing had loans in their names. Just food for thought.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tax question