IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters, take note.
5/17/15, 11:01 PM   #1
Promoters, take note.
Longtime sprinter

Just had to pass this on. Was in line to get in at Gas City, and a young couple in front of me had two young boys with them, excited as could be to go to the races. The wife looks at a sign saying 11 and under free, turns to her husband and said, "omg the boys will have to pay to get in." They must have been over 11. The dad, very hesitantly says, "that's 100 bucks, we can''t do that." The youngest boy looked like he just lost his favorite puppy, as he turned to leave. Sad, why is it not free to like 12, then maybe $5 to 16. Sure there will be some that take advantage and lie to get some kids in free, but Friday night, Gas City lost $50 from the parents, and how ever much for the hot dogs the boys buy. Kinda made me wonder if I should be paying $25, plus gas to drive 260 miles r.t. Plus a meal on the way, and a drink at the track. I love sprint car racing, but don't wanna see it die off due to cost.

5/17/15, 11:46 PM   #2
Beinthecircle

Very affordable to see the most talented drivers in the world. Unfortunate for those kids, but surely the parents knew what they were getting themselves in to.

5/18/15, 12:32 AM   #3
JarrettFarms73

Longtime, thanks for making the trip! Love seeing the passion in my fellow fans and hearing the miles traveled to see a show.

I wish there were an easy answer to your dilemma. In this economy, show me an any age limit, and I'll show you a family just on the other side that could use the extra break. A decision still has to be made. Not to mention insurance and lawyers in the mix.

Still though, knowing how often my parents took my siblings and me to the track when we were little, I wish they could've gotten to see some racing that night.
My only hope is that someone thought to speak up and tell the parents that the same people that are running GC run another track just west of here on Sunday nights. For $2 less ($48) they'd get to see several of the same drivers and fantastic racing on what some call the best track in Indiana.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 5/18/15 at 12:34 AM.

5/18/15, 9:00 AM   #4
Re: Promoters, take note.
hairracer44

I've been saying for years we are loosing are young fans and not building a new fan base with younger kids coming to the track. I understand Insurance, attorneys and all the other expense, however if we don't continue to bring in new fans it is all for nothing.
Let the kid in at a discount rate and in the long run the parents will end up buying a hot dog or two and some popcorn, not to mention they will be back. If you don't get them in the gate you will never get them to come back.
Take a kid to a race and make a fan for life, leave them at home and you deprive a kid of a lifetime of excitement. I would not be driving a sprint car today if it hadn't been for going to the local Indiana race tracks.

5/18/15, 9:01 AM   #5
Longtime sprinter

My point of my post isn't so much the cost for adults, it's the fact that a kid under age 16 must be driven to the track, thus a paying adult. Then there's the fact that someone will go to the concession stand, and we have gotten a kid involved in the sport, Who, you never know, may be a future owner/ driver. I fully understand the plight of the promoters with insurance purses everything else that goes with it but you would actually be making more money if you bring in the families with kids. Just makes sense for the future of the sport.

5/18/15, 9:32 AM   #6
JarrettFarms73

I hear ya. It's a tough riddle for sure.

I was just trying to contrast the local show to a national race like USAC. Won't even go there about NFL or NASCAR. To add to the depths of this, I'm not convinced that the ones were reaching in the early years aren't drivers of another class at another track on race nights. I don't blame them one bit either! If I'm a teenager and have the choice to drive or watch? Easy... Where's my helmet!

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
5/18/15, 10:10 AM   #7
plymouthfan

It is a huge risk to cover the cost of a USAC purse. I do notice at Plymouth Ed Kennedy only charges $5 for kids 6-12 for all of his shows. But the shows that are not his they charge more. Also $3 kids meals cheaper than MCDonalds for my family and I. And the new caly is awesome racing.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, IndyBound, jim goerge
5/18/15, 10:18 AM   #8
tq 91

The thing that's hard to figure out is if price across the board is lowered how many more people might go. I know I shy away from high dollar admission prices, when I know I'm seeing what is local drivers under a different groups label. Just because it says USAC it doesn't make it a better deal than weekly at Kokomo.

1 member likes this post: racer65
5/18/15, 10:23 AM   #9
wingless1

It's not a bargain. $100 for a family of four to get in is way too high, sorry. Here in north east Florida in February you have your choice, drive to Ocala for the USAC sprints pay $25 bucks a ticket, plus whatever you buy, or eat at the track. Or (in the Jacksonville area) go to EverBank field home of the Jaguars, see the largest jumbotron screen in the world, with limitless food and drink options, see the crazy Monster Jam truck festival, for $10 bucks, some tickets as low as $5. I've never gone, nor would I, but I've also never been able to convince any of my native Florida neighbors, or friends, to make the drive to Ocala. Plus during speed weeks at Daytona you can get into many different stock car races for $10 bucks, I've only been to Daytona once, it bores me, but I've not been back to Ocala for 2 years as well, call me cheap, cuss me out I don't care, been going to races since 1960 but when the ticket price hit $25 bucks, I quit going. Let someone else pay for the pleasure of watching the guy who starts on the pole lead every lap and win, which is the norm for USAC these days. You can go to the movies, then drop by a local restaurant, for a couple beers, cokes, appetizer, discuss the movie (this is what my 2 kids enjoy the most for entertainment $) and it costs us $22(early bird) for 4 adult movie tickets, and $35 at the restaurant still less than 4 tickets just to walk into the track for the USAC show.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
5/18/15, 10:46 AM   #10
JarrettFarms73

Mitch, I said the NFL. And I thought the Jags were PAYING people $10 to come in, not charging. LOL

J/K thought a lil afc south razzling from Coltsland would keep the mood light.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters, take note.