IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora observations
5/12/15, 10:43 AM   #1
Eldora observations
flagboy55

A couple things stuck out to me this weekend at the big E. The first thing is that water in the track is a good thing, almost no dust to speak of Saturday night. The delay was worth it. Watching the usac guys navigate the curb for a cushion was great, and qualifications for woo, waiting to see the sub 13 second lap, was awesome too. Another thing was for whatever reason young people like the wings more than without. My adult son came away really looking forward to his next outlaw race. Come to think of it, I liked wings more as a kid too. Finally the most important thing is that it's all good! The slander toward one or the other is a waste of time. Wing or not, they both have their virtues, and are the best form of motorsports, bar none! Long live sprint car racing!

5/13/15, 11:55 AM   #2
Re: Eldora observations
openwheelfan1

I'm just curious as to how large the crowd was for the the event at Eldora last weekend? Hopefully it was successful enough for a return of the event next year.

1 member likes this post: Dirttrackfan61
5/13/15, 3:43 PM   #3
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I'm just curious as to how large the crowd was for the the event at Eldora last weekend? Hopefully it was successful enough for a return of the event next year.
So big, Eldora thought they needed "traffic control" after the race. What a joke. (The Big E may be gettin' too big for it's own britches!)

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Chastain75, Dirttrackfan61, EPSpeed
5/13/15, 3:58 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
So big, Eldora thought they needed "traffic control" after the race. What a joke. (The Big E may be gettin' too big for it's own britches!)
Traffic control? Have never seen that before at Eldora. Traffic always seemed to exit fairly easily from the track. Can you elaborate on what transpired?

1 member likes this post: Dirttrackfan61
5/13/15, 4:24 PM   #5
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Traffic control? Have never seen that before at Eldora. Traffic always seemed to exit fairly easily from the track. Can you elaborate on what transpired?
Sure Ron. You are 100% correct- traffic always does exit easily from the track, but what happened was Eldora decided to fix something that wasn't broke. They had men in orange firesuits "directing" the traffic out of the parking lots, forcing you to only exit in one direction (in my case, forcing me north when home is south). All it did was create confusion for everyone.

"Traffic control" was my main beef with Kentucky Speedway and why I no longer care to visit the superspeedways. (Get the hell outta the way and let the people drive! )

1 member likes this post: ronmil
5/13/15, 4:31 PM   #6
speed bump

Eldora has traffic control for both the World 100 and the Dream ....It is really needed for those races as the stands & infield are filled to the brim ...Its not really that hard to drive a couple miles in a square to get back to St. Rd. 118 and go the way you want to ..

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
5/13/15, 4:56 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Traffic control is a necessity at some tracks due to their location. For example, Tri-State Speedway (Haubstadt) would be quite dangerous without the officers directing traffic. Even though I am south of Eldora, I got in the habit of going north to the next road, and working my way over to Highway 27 by making a right at the first cross road, and a left at the next intersection which brings me out by the old abandoned school. No real issue.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, speed bump
5/13/15, 6:34 PM   #8
Sprintcarfanatic

Iffn I was to get wasted & my wife were to be sent a different way there is no tellin where we would be by morning.

2 members like this post: bmemmer, speed bump
5/13/15, 9:20 PM   #9
addictedtodirt

I'll be back to Eldora. Swore them off a couple years back but the two day combined show peeked my interest. I had a great weekend and am happy to have not missed a great two night event.

If the only complaint is traffic control, I'd say they got this event nailed. Let us all pray for a 2nd annual!

5/14/15, 8:41 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Honestly, I've never had trouble getting out of Eldora. I've been there for Kings Royals, HBO's Worlds, Four crowns and reg shows. NEVER.

Maybe if your trying to leave within five minutes of the Sprint Feature but I usually stay at least till the second one is over.

That being said, If you take the road out of the north lot east. It takes you to 127 in North Star. You can then take that north to Celina or south to I-70, Eaton Hamilton or Cincy.

I usually just take 118 south to Ansonia and turn left at the light and go over to 127 south Worst I've ever seen was a two light wait in Rossburg.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora observations