IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint division..
2/10/15, 5:27 PM   #31
cmiracingvids

Crate classes or spec engine classes just simply do not work. Guys will always cheat whatever grey areas they can. It's just how it is. I agree with some people here...start and winning payout is the only true governing factor. It costs the same for EVERYONE...and there can only be one winner. How many cars would actually show up to a $10,000 to win show but only the winner gets any money. Everyone else is left with a "thanks for coming". Seriously...

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, oldfan49, Tony74
2/10/15, 6:25 PM   #32
Re: Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint divisi
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
Crate classes or spec engine classes just simply do not work. Guys will always cheat whatever grey areas they can. It's just how it is. I agree with some people here...start and winning payout is the only true governing factor. It costs the same for EVERYONE...and there can only be one winner. How many cars would actually show up to a $10,000 to win show but only the winner gets any money. Everyone else is left with a "thanks for coming". Seriously...
Thats interesting because a great racer that post on here sometimes told me once that he went to tracks based on what tenth paid. One because if they weren't good enough to run top ten. they should have just stayed home, and second, Because many tracks didn't pay any further than tenth.

So if a track put a whole 17,500 purse in the top ten and nothing else, Who then would show up?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/10/15 at 6:26 PM.

2/10/15, 6:46 PM   #33
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
Really? Then explain Fastrak & Nesmith for late models! For those that are putting in their two cents why don't you wait and see how thinks work out for those trying to creat this class before you complain about it in some way shape or form. I give these folks credit for trying something different. We don't even know what the payout might be for this division either. If it's close to what their sprint payout is now for the 401 non-wing sprints then I would say its a good start. Nobody knows for sure how this us going to play out a few years down the road. Like I've said before; just be happy you have a track to go watch races at and stop being critical of the track and let's see how this works out and hope they stumble apon something that others that have tried to start a spec class haven't and this works out. The only thing I will say is if this is going to work it will likely be based on how good they TECH each and every car that is in that division.

1 member likes this post: fish
2/10/15, 6:53 PM   #34
TQ29m

Crate, stock, whatever you want to call them, to the uneducated, sounds great, I, as well as others, can go and buy one, then go and race with others who have the same engine, and win, or at least be competitive with the field? To that, I say meadow muffins! The only time I ever saw this work, was a friend of mine in central Illinois, owned a go-kart "ranch", best way I can explain it, some of you may know about it, but if you desired to race a go-kart, he could make it happen! If you just wanted to try it, you could go rent the whole thing, kart, suit, helmet, the package, just like bowling, or any other combination, plus all of the other 50 classes, but, the way he made it work was, he owned ALL the engines, you paid your money, and you got a brass tag, with a number on it, which you gave to one of his other kids, who went to the shelf, put the tag on a hook, pulled the engine, and gave it to you, ready to install, add fuel, which you got at his pump around, and you went racing. They maintained all the engines, which weren't numbered, so your chances of getting the same engine again were slim, he had a name for the class, and it became very popular, that's the only way this can work ! Bob

3 members like this post: DAD, mscs20, tinkertoys
2/10/15, 8:08 PM   #35
DAD

Glen Niebel was one of the smartest guys I ever run across he was also one of the nicest guys to talk to. He also helped put Tony Stewart get in the record books.

He did this with a little known engine he found laying around in a junk yard, and combined that with a little home grown ingenuity and skill to take advantage of a rule in the USAC sprint car rule book. I think the car and Tony where about the same age but they somehow worked very well as a team.

The engine Glen used was a little V6 odd fire Chevy. The kind they used in Pick Up tucks back then.

Junk yards are now full of fresh even fire V6 motors with dual overhead cams and electronic fuel injection. These motors are light weight investment cast aluminum blocks with a bottom end designed to run 200,000 miles under very harsh and low maintenance conditions. You know like an oil change every year or two.

There is very little speed equipment out their for these engines and they really don't need much to make them fire breathing dragons. Look at the specs on the new Chevy Camaro V6 motors, starting at 325+HP in a stock on the street daily driver.

If it is a 50 year old v8 design motor with a million dollars worth of cheap speed parts available >>>don't race it. If you want a stock or spec class motor look elsewhere for your engines.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/10/15 at 8:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: tinkertoys
2/18/15, 12:52 AM   #36
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Update
There are a lot of tracks that have been talking to GM Performance about the Non-Wing Pro Sprint class for 2016. There will be a lot more information on this in the future. You can contact Joe Gaerte and Larry Kemp about the GM motors and class 574-223-3016

2/18/15, 9:32 AM   #37
baileyracing7

From personal experience with Larry Kemp all I can say is "RUN FAST RUN FAR"
Larry is for Larry that's all I can say.

2/21/15, 8:29 AM   #38
98arpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyracing7 View Post
From personal experience with Larry Kemp all I can say is "RUN FAST RUN FAR"
Larry is for Larry that's all I can say.
I think if we had personal dealings I would remember you, and I don't.
Maybe if you actually listed your name I might. I have been in the business for more than 30 years and have developed many contacts and never have been openly accused of any misdeeds that would warrant such an attack on my character.
I will be providing an update on the entry level Sprint program in the near future.
Larry

2 members like this post: latemodel55, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Possibly looking at starting a spec engine Sprint division..