IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What are the Chances...
7/11/14, 8:27 AM   #1
What are the Chances...
Seadog

...that any WoO cars come from the Kings Royal and go topless at the 'burg Sunday night? Just curious more than anything.

7/11/14, 8:55 AM   #2
racefan20

Zero

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Onlydirt, speed bump
7/11/14, 11:40 AM   #3
Re: What are the Chances...
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Zero
Good call I say.

7/11/14, 12:00 PM   #4
rdzsprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
...that any WoO cars come from the Kings Royal and go topless at the 'burg Sunday night? Just curious more than anything.
Just a guess mind you : Slim to none. Jac Haudenschild occasionally takes the crutch off. Back in the day the WoO ran with and without the port-o-john bolted on top. Before the WoO even existed I saw Steve Kinser run at Bloomington in the mid 70's non-wing,.. fast as usual. Also watched him come from the back to the front wingless at Eldora at the USAC 4 Crowns on Oct. 11, 1981. Steve kicked tail in the Silver Crowns as well. I was at Eldora when Steve won the wingless CRA show on May 5, 1990.... The Wild Child's always exciting in whatever he drives. Saw Haud sit on the pole at a USAC Silver Crown show at Tampa in the 80's and win the Mopar Million at Eldora. Watched Jac win in USAC sprints at Eldora on Mar.27, 1988 in the Kodiak # 18 car...These 2 guys stand out in my memory as being wicked fast with or without a wing and they've won a lot more non-wing races than I've mentioned. How could I let Jack Hewitt slip by, he could run hell out of them both ways too!

It seems like you're more likely to see a non-wing guy put on a wing and give it a shot than the other way around. I'd love to see the WoO go back to running both ways again and see the best of both worlds,...won't hold my breath on that happening... I hate hearing them called Non-Wing sprints like they're generic. There are sprint cars and then there are sprint cars 'with' wings. Sprint cars were around long before wings were, a hell of a lot longer. I don't know the timeline of exactly when sprint car racing began, but I have a Wallen's classic video that shows a 500 mile sprint show held out west on a mile dirt track in 1932. WoO started I'm thinking in 1978, and they didn't run a strictly winged format when they started. To me there will always be sprint cars and winged sprint cars.

Safety bashers save your breath...I believe it was Jack Hewitt that once said sprint cars are dangerous with or without a wing. I think he might of also once said if it was easy and safe everybody would be driving one...Sadly we've lost drivers with and without wings...But if you've never watched sprint cars race in the 50's and 60's you can't even begin to appreciate how safe racing is "today" compared to "then" .

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, jim goerge, stp6237
7/11/14, 12:12 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Jac Stll runs NW, Was at last years Four crown and LBurg Nationals the year before.

If he's got a ride.

Think you need a different front axle now. Used to be you didn't. Not a big big deal unless your a winged team that doesn't carry NW axle.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/11/14, 3:38 PM   #6
KingRandomUser

None of the WoO Regulars will, especially since ISW is USAC Sanctioned.

However, there might be a few non-regulars who possibly could/would.
Guys like Bill Rose and Cody Kinser (Both of which raced last week at Bloomington) would be ones to look for in trying this. Again though with the race being USAC it might deter them too for all we know. There might be a few others, but chances are really low for more than 1 or 2 at most to do it.

But hey, this is Midwest Racing. You just never know who will show up!

7/11/14, 3:53 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRandomUser View Post
None of the WoO Regulars will, especially since ISW is USAC Sanctioned.

However, there might be a few non-regulars who possibly could/would.
Guys like Bill Rose and Cody Kinser (Both of which raced last week at Bloomington) would be ones to look for in trying this. Again though with the race being USAC it might deter them too for all we know. There might be a few others, but chances are really low for more than 1 or 2 at most to do it.

But hey, this is Midwest Racing. You just never know who will show up!
Bell
Dallas Hewitt
Kody Kinser said he might be able to do Bloomington

You just never know.

7/11/14, 7:24 PM   #8
racenut69

Please explain the Front Axle difference to Newbies like me,Please and Thanks!..I didn't know there was a difference....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Jac Stll runs NW, Was at last years Four crown and LBurg Nationals the year before.

If he's got a ride.

Think you need a different front axle now. Used to be you didn't. Not a big big deal unless your a winged team that doesn't carry NW axle.

7/11/14, 7:34 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

I think its more of a offset thing than length of axel. The USAC rulebook says RF cannot be further out than the RR.

Im not on a team and haven't been for over 20 years. I just remember a few teams saying some of the changes they needed to switch over when doing NW and Wing in the same night with the same car It didn't used to be much change other than ride height and stiffer shocks for winged.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/11/14 at 7:35 PM.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
7/11/14, 7:50 PM   #10
btownracer

On a non wing car we use a longer axle. With a wing it is shorter. Is has a lot to do with how the car enters the corner. Non wing it gets over harder so the more you get that tire out the less chance you have of getting over and taking left rear weight away on entry. With the wing you are planted on the left already.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What are the Chances...