IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 11 things promoters must do...
6/16/14, 4:40 PM   #1
11 things promoters must do...
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I found this article... And wondered what everyone thought.

http://speedwaybenefits.com/track-ow...hings-trouble/

Track Promoters: If You Aren’t Doing These 11 Things, You’re in Trouble

Well folks, the season is really upon us and you all have already noticed trends…attendance, back gate, concessions, etc. Up or down?

Hopefully you are up but I will guarantee it is those tracks with the best and most competitive shows that have the following patterns:

1. Admission of $10-14 for regular shows

2. At least four to five passes for the lead in the main feature

3. 100 or more cars and less than four classes

4. If you start at 7:30 it is all over by 10:25 (unless you have a lesser division walkout)!

5. As little dust as possible if you are a dirt track. Yeah, I know there are people who wear “dirt masks,” but remember the gals are paying upwards of $30 for a good hairdo.

6. At least two to three rollovers! Please, I am not a freak, but flips are great entertainment. If you have an asphalt track with low riding late models, when is the last time you have seen one? Raise those front ends at least 3-5 inches!

7. A total cost of less than $10,000 per night…ok, you guys who run the sprints are a little different, but the show is worth it.

8. A simple menu in concessions: great all beef dog on a steamed bun; wonderful, tasty quality, juicy hamburger and little more other than the soft drink, beer, chips, etc. Put the candy, ice cream, specialty items in separate areas so you do not clog up concession areas.

9. BIGGIE: Do you have a villain yet? If not, forget the kids. They MUST have a good guy/bad guy, and if you don’t, the kids are gone mentally…Just forget them. That is what makes every Monster Truck Show, cartoon, etc. work: A VILLIAN!

10. Clean, clean everything….from the restrooms (especially the girls) to the seats. Do you clean your seats the day of the event? If not, consider yourself in the Old Promoters Graveyard! How long would movie theaters last with dirty seats?

11. Big Show? Do you have a Big Show at the start and end of the season and are you selling at least 600 reserved seats to the event in ADVANCE? If not, join those Old Promoters in their Graveyard. Think about it….Your October show is the Pulaski Tire 200 (laps with stops) and you charge $25 in advance and sell 1000 seats. That is $25,000 in the bank! What will you think if you have a rainout? Lucky Dog! Buy some of those seats the big NASCAR tracks will get rid of as they downsize due to a lack of drama, color, no rivalries, etc.

That is pretty simple folks. The tracks that are doing the above are doing fine. Those that don’t are in trouble.

6/16/14, 4:58 PM   #2
Re: 11 things promoters must do...
Andrew S. Quinn

Biggest problem is getting most promoters,and or sanctioning bodies to read this.

1 member likes this post: TQ97
6/16/14, 5:05 PM   #3
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Interesting to say the least especially after I saw who the author was. Most of the Indiana tracks do at least the majority of these things. However, they could all take a look at this and see where they might improve upon their product.

The one that I preach constantly is #4. If you can't start on time how will you ever get finished on time. Anything over 3 hours and you start losing your audience. Also remember that as parents are taking their kids out of the gate prior to the end of your show, you just witnessed the next generation of YOUR race fans leaving not happy campers.

#3 also is important in my opinion. If you run 6 classes and don't do a good job of time management, see #4. I plan my evenings entertainment like a sprint race not a marathon.

For all promoters out there, take this to the bank. If you have a "big show" with a large part of your crowd being out of towners, don't hold them hostage while you run the mortifieds, street stocks, thunder cars, hornets, Detroit iron, etc. We came to see the "main event" not your weekly features. On those "special events" nights, maybe try to run no more than 3 classes and save the goat milking contest for another time.

I would add a #12. Do everything in your power to promote your racetrack. The more ways people see your promotion, the more likely they will have their butts in the bleachers. Remember, kids bring their parents and grandparents to the races whether you believe it or not. Be a promoter not just a track owner!

I have only seen a couple of promoters or an employees do this but I was very impressed when it happened. They were at the front gate at the end of the evening shaking hands and thanking folks for coming. When was the last time you saw that happen?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, dickster, jim goerge, jjones752
6/16/14, 5:09 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

#12 have thick skins.

6/16/14, 5:14 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Biggest problem is getting most promoters,and or sanctioning bodies to read this.
Andrew,

I plan on printing some of these off and sending them directly to the tracks that in my opinion need some attention. They still might not read it but they can't say that they didn't know.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, cwfan08
6/16/14, 5:35 PM   #6
jim goerge

WHAT skipping the goat milking? I ain;t going then

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/16/14, 5:36 PM   #7
Bill Gardner
Administrator

#7 has a sprint car exemption.

What should that $10,000 cost be for sprint car tracks?

Indiana tracks pay roughly a $7200 feature purse alone and Modifieds are around $3000 for feature.

What do think is the average general admission attendance for regular shows?

6/16/14, 5:49 PM   #8
Phylo82

Many of these I agree with, but number 6 is ridiculous.......
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

5 members like this post: Danny Burton, LocalYokel, Mattmac05, SWScaleChassis, team3521
6/16/14, 5:50 PM   #9
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

2 words came to mind when reading this. The burg!!!

6/16/14, 5:53 PM   #10
DAD

Did that come from how to succeed As a race track promoter as told by Humpy Wheller? He wanted nick names for all the drivers and names for the cars even. Promoting is a rough job just surviving this great economy is going to take a pretty smart cookie.

Honest Dad himself

I read the post first>>> then responded>>>> and then read the article. Guess that makes me half cocked. He wrote this thing several years ago in brighter times.
Last edited by DAD; 6/16/14 at 5:57 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 11 things promoters must do...