IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA at Western Kentucky Speedway
6/9/14, 5:46 PM   #1
MMSA at Western Kentucky Speedway
Dave F

I went to Nebo, Kentucky to watch the MMSA Lighting Sprints Race, on Saturday evening. I hadn't been to Nebo for a race in about seven years. The race track was in best racing condition I've ever seen it. Hats off to Western Kentucky Speedway Staff, for supplying a great race track.

2 members like this post: DAD, KYRON
6/9/14, 6:02 PM   #2
midwest84

I totally agree, track was very smooth all night. The management and staff at WKS kept the show moving, so we were able to get home at a decent hour even with a long drive. MMSA will be back at WKS on June 28th, everyone needs to put this on their calendar as a must attend!

6/9/14, 8:22 PM   #3
Re: MMSA at Western Kentucky Speedway
Bill May

Anyone have results & other info.

Bill May

6/9/14, 8:26 PM   #4
Avon Open Wheel fan

Andy Bradley won it was a great race. This is the feature video. I really enjoyed going there the staff and management was nice to work with and treated us great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8oZVWL2gY&app=desktop

www.illinimidgets.com

3 members like this post: Bill May, DAD, KYRON
6/9/14, 10:51 PM   #5
on_the_edge

Looks like the track has been changed since we were last there in 08 I believe with MSCS. Used to be guardrail around the track, but always provided good racing and one of my favorite tracks in the sprint car. Should have ventured my way down there Saturday, but didn't see they were racing until I made other plans.

6/9/14, 11:25 PM   #6
MC@Performance Fab

Dam.

6/10/14, 12:02 AM   #7
RoyaltonMiniSprint

I too went Saturday track was in great shape; Lightning Sprints were flying around there one of the better winged Lightning Sprint races I have seen!!

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/10/14, 7:22 AM   #8
DAD

Thanks

We raced last Saturday at Western Kentucky Speedway. I would first like to thank the people at the WK Speedway. When we got there it looked like the only thing we were going to do was maybe have a wet T shirt contest (with my body I would have been a sure winner). Mother nature decided to make weather just as soon as we got off the X-way to go to the track. Looking at the weather map it looked as if the weather was going to blow over and around us, they in spite of the fact that the crowd was probably already going to stay home decided to go ahead with the race.

They must have spent a great deal of time on the track prep the week before because when it dried off it was one very racy race track. The straight were LONG we were clocking 92 MPH + down the back straight and turning laps in the high 16 to low 17 seconds bracket with a gear just a little low for the track and we were sure not the fastest car there either.

We would also like to thank Henderson Chevy GMC and Western Kentucky Trucking for the sponsorship that helped this race pay a purse that made the long hall more affordable for the racers. You potential sponsors out there need to pay attention to this. Race Sponsorship is a very affordable way to promote your goods and services to the race community. Ask your accountant what the real cost of sponsorship is to your company. It will surprise you and will probably also add to your bottom line.

Thanks to Ron Ambrose for his assistance in securing these race dates. Like I said, we had raced at WK speedway once before more than 20 or so years ago and it sure brought back to me many fond memories of racers that are no longer with us. Thanks to Ron also for the Tip on the Ramada Inn in Henderson Ky.. At $59.00 it was about 2 or 3 steps up from the Motels we usually stay at when on one of these Luxury Race Outings.

Thanks to the Ambrose Bros. for teaching us how to set up and gear for this tricky fast little race track. Had Collin Ambrose not have wore a hole in a coolant line he would have checked out on the Field. He in his ERC Mc Performance Inducted Yamaha R-1 powered Mini Sprint had amassed almost a straightaway lead on the field before having to pull off into the infield with overheating problems.

We had a great time, learned a few things and can't wait to go back there again.

The top 3 finishers were I think 1st Andy Bradley, 2nd Lynn Ambrose and 3rd Nathan Mensendiek.

The people I guess that go unnoticed by me and many other racers and deserve the most thanks by far are the guys that have given up their time and efforts to keep the MMSA going after the loss of Allen Ruppenthal and the retirement of Bill May from the active running of the group. You guys are walking a tight rope right now and doing an excellent job of it. Those are awfully big shoes to fill.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/10/14 at 10:27 AM.

4 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Bill May, KYRON, MC@Performance Fab
6/10/14, 10:19 AM   #9
racenut69

Are these 600's or 1000's?

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/10/14, 10:38 AM   #10
DAD

racen

These are 1000cc Midgets, the next best thing to a Full Midget. Some people call them "Mini Sprints" some people call them "Lightning Sprints" but when you boil it down to the basics they are in fact Full Midget Race cars powered by a 1000cc, 200+ Horsepower, and basically stock Motorcycle engine.

If you haven't watched them race you are missing some real good open wheel racing by ordinary (not rich or mortgaged to the hilt) racers. See the video linked on Avon's post.

The step from the grand stands to racing one of these race cars is no where near as big as to any other open wheel class. This includes the "Open Wheel Modified's".

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/10/14 at 10:46 AM.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA at Western Kentucky Speedway