IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any Non-Wing guys putting the wing on for Kokomo Wednesday??
6/1/14, 6:24 PM   #1
Any Non-Wing guys putting the wing on for Kokomo Wednesday??
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Just Wondering
Any Non-Wing guys going to put a Wing on for the WOO Sprint Car race at Kokomo on Wednesday?

1 member likes this post: Jspradling
6/1/14, 6:37 PM   #2
Re: Any Non-Wing guys putting the wing on for Kokomo Wednesd
Flatrightrear

Maybe scuba gear.

6/1/14, 8:21 PM   #3
sp6967

sprint cars don't have wings.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FALCONEDDIE, PAW, SETracing, Ty
6/1/14, 8:39 PM   #4
treecitytornado

Best sprint car drivers in the world will be at Kokomo Wed. night! Ready to see "The King" one more ! I'm ready! Rain please stay away! Good Luck to my buddy, Logan in the Shark Racing #1S! Good Luck to Jacob in the #1A too!

1 member likes this post:
6/1/14, 8:47 PM   #5
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Best sprint car drivers in the world will be at Kokomo Wed. night! Ready to see "The King" one more ! I'm ready! Rain please stay away! Good Luck to my buddy, Logan in the Shark Racing #1S! Good Luck to Jacob in the #1A too!
Actually the best sprint car drivers in the world are gonna be in PA for the Eastern storm tour

6/1/14, 9:00 PM   #6
treecitytornado

Steve, Sammy, Haud, Pittman, Joey, Donny, guess they aren't good enough? Remember the Mopar Million? Haud Won and Stevie Smith 2nd. Winged guys that took the Wing off.

1 member likes this post:
6/1/14, 9:13 PM   #7
reeserx

I'm not saying they aren't talented, they have more balls then I do, but to say the best nah, I'll take darland, Clauson, stanbrough over Joey, Pittman, and Sammy all day

6/1/14, 10:06 PM   #8
Flatrightrear

All I know is I've seen Steve and Sammy run without a wing and with a wing, beat the tar out of their competition, including each other, with or without a wing and in their prime kick the heck out of anybody and everybody. If you never saw them run without a wing then don't bother to comment. Many non-wing guys are totally lost with a wing but these two were strong either way. Many Outlaw shows were non-wing the first few years but that got changed after some horrible wrecks and deaths at Knoxville on consecutive weekends,I believe, in 1980 which included Roger Larson and Darryl Daugherty. Outlaws couldn't travel the country having drivers die from California to New York so they went full-time wing. With the money the Outlaws were paying, the huge shows Baltes created, more money at the Nationals and a couple of $65,000 to win Fram dashes back in the '80's making big money racing sprints meant being successful with a wing. I'm Steve's age and saw both he and Sammy cut their teeth racing at Haubstadt and other tracks around the midwest back in the '70's.Sammy kicked tail as soon as he got into a car at W. Memphis and I remember the bounty the promoter used to advertise in NSSN to generate excitement. After Gaines got hurt in Karl's car and Steve got the ride history started being made. I love the non-wing guys but in their day these two would've given Darland all he could handle. And that includes at Kokomo.

6/1/14, 10:30 PM   #9
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
All I know is I've seen Steve and Sammy run without a wing and with a wing, beat the tar out of their competition, including each other, with or without a wing and in their prime kick the heck out of anybody and everybody. If you never saw them run without a wing then don't bother to comment. Many non-wing guys are totally lost with a wing but these two were strong either way. Many Outlaw shows were non-wing the first few years but that got changed after some horrible wrecks and deaths at Knoxville on consecutive weekends,I believe, in 1980 which included Roger Larson and Darryl Daugherty. Outlaws couldn't travel the country having drivers die from California to New York so they went full-time wing. With the money the Outlaws were paying, the huge shows Baltes created, more money at the Nationals and a couple of $65,000 to win Fram dashes back in the '80's making big money racing sprints meant being successful with a wing. I'm Steve's age and saw both he and Sammy cut their teeth racing at Haubstadt and other tracks around the midwest back in the '70's.Sammy kicked tail as soon as he got into a car at W. Memphis and I remember the bounty the promoter used to advertise in NSSN to generate excitement. After Gaines got hurt in Karl's car and Steve got the ride history started being made. I love the non-wing guys but in their day these two would've given Darland all he could handle. And that includes at Kokomo.
Haven't seen them run without wing and I'm gonna comment anyway, apparently they've only done it in the 80s and 90s, why don't they do it now? Because they couldn't do it, and I don't think a wing guy would beat DD at Kokomo. But like I said I'm not saying they aren't great because they are. They are all legends of the sport. But they aren't the best. Simply put JMO

1 member likes this post: racegal
6/1/14, 10:45 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeserx View Post
Haven't seen them run without wing and I'm gonna comment anyway, apparently they've only done it in the 80s and 90s, why don't they do it now? Because they couldn't do it, and I don't think a wing guy would beat DD at Kokomo. But like I said I'm not saying they aren't great because they are. They are all legends of the sport. But they aren't the best. Simply put JMO

While I agree, I prefer NW, Thats the one of the most uninformed thing Ive ever seen written. Steve kicked the NW boys but ten years after he quit running NW and a CRA race. Haud and Stevie Smith (Who'd never run NW before finished one two at the mopar million)

YEAH, They are the best. Some of our guys are among them, Just a different dicipline but Bell, Abreu, Clauson and others have been able to compete well with em. Doubtful they could remain top five as Pittman and Shatz are every single night against the best on the tour and the local hot shoes.

Given a practice session and a good setup, STEVE would be all over DD. no question. I think it was the four crown last year where Haud sliced through the field and was a beast. Heres Jack Last years four crown in a car he's never driven before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QxEPmOfsw

Mopar Million
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yb-9ym7Tc
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/1/14 at 10:59 PM.

5 members like this post: dkdorkboy, jim goerge, Josh Kinser, rachasin, scottyCbus
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Any Non-Wing guys putting the wing on for Kokomo Wednesday??