IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo on Sunday
5/14/14, 11:46 PM   #1
Kokomo on Sunday
IBRACN

I'm on a business trip to Lafayette, IN and will finish things up on Sunday. I'm going to make the trip over to Kokomo on Sunday. Can you guys give me a few tips for the track? Start time? Location of the track? Things I must experience while there. How far of a drive is it from Lafayette to Kokomo?

I'm probably going to have to rent a car to get there but I'm going to make my way there and hope this weeks race is half as good as last weeks race.

Thanks for all of your advise in advance.

Brad Brown
IBRACN.com

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
5/14/14, 11:57 PM   #2
Re: Kokomo on Sunday
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I would plan on about an hour drive over from Lafayette. The speedway is on the northwest side of Kokomo at 2455 N. Davis Road. It is old highway 35 and is easy to find. They group qualify sprint cars around 6:00 with racing to follow.

There is seating on both the front and back side. In my opinion it is the best weekly track in Indiana. Very good racing in all divisions and they work really hard to get you out and on the road at a decent time.

The pork chop sandwich is very good and the rest of the concessions are about normal for most dirt tracks in this part of the country. Arriving early will allow you to tailgate with some of the other fans in the parking lot and talk racing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/15/14, 12:38 AM   #3
ShamrockRacin'48G

From memory (plus or minus): out of Lafayette head East on SR26 about 30 miles to SR29...take a left (north) on SR 29...about 4-5 miles to Burlington...turn right on SR22 to Kokomo (11miles)... Enter Kokomo, early on entry turn left at light where CVS/Walgreens corner (easy to spot), this is Dixon Rd heading North now...go thru next stoplight past Kmart plaza to 4 way stop...you are really close....turn right at 4 way stop heading east on Judson Rd....follow Judson until it comes to a T....left onto Phillips for a single drag strip (just past Kokomo Marine Boat Place)....paying attention? turn right on Morgan just past Kok Marine...go 1/2ish mile East on Morgan to stoplight , turn left (B&K hotdog stand), you are there....sounds harder than it is...this will avoid town traffic and get u right to the track....seating and parking on front or backstretch...arrive early, we don't dick around on Sunday nites here, welcome, lol
Last edited by ShamrockRacin'48G; 5/15/14 at 12:47 AM.

5/15/14, 1:56 AM   #4
i love dirt track racing

Make your self at home and get ready for some great non wing racing. Stop in the half moon saloon for a great lunch and go to the track early and meet the great fans. If you see 3 guys standing around talking raceing stop buy and say hi. We will be parked by the sign. Have fun and you will see a great race.

1 member likes this post: flatout18
5/15/14, 4:05 AM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

If you like watching 3 and 4 wide racing,after 1 trip to Kokomo you'll be changing your name to IB wanting to move to Indiana!

5/15/14, 9:46 AM   #6
IBRACN

Thanks guys...I'll probably make it right at race time...the Big 10 track meet will not get over until about 3:30 then we will have to collect our winning hardware and celebrate a little...but I'll make it as soon as I can. Can't wait to see non-wing racing...something that doesn't happen in Nebraska.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ShamrockRacin'48G
5/15/14, 12:42 PM   #7
illinisprintfan

What time do the sprint cars finish on a typical Sunday night? I am thinking about coming over, but a 3 1/2 hour trip home followed by work the next morning might change my mind. Getting a little too old to miss

5/15/14, 12:45 PM   #8
RacinReggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
What time do the sprint cars finish on a typical Sunday night? I am thinking about coming over, but a 3 1/2 hour trip home followed by work the next morning might change my mind. Getting a little too old to miss
Last couple if weeks racing was over by 9-9:30

5/15/14, 1:02 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Last Sunday night I was getting in my van at 8:30.

1 member likes this post: fish
5/15/14, 2:13 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They almost always bust the show out pretty quick. They know Monday is a work day for most. Had a pit pass a couple times and thought I had time to walk the pits after heats. hell, he ripped the track, watered and had em back out in 15 minutes flat for consi. Im sure the teams have to bust tail to stay up with it.

Some nights they don't even need any prep before features but if its looking like it will only be one groove. Reece will do what needs done and do it quick.

Probably the weirdest track in Indiana as far as there not really being a groove and cars running unconventional lines. But its always a blast watching someone skirt that wall with their foot on the floorboard and guys going in the middle and diamonding off the bottom. Sometimes 30ft apart. Sometimes under a blanket. Sometimes someone puts in on a cushion others dare not touch and win from the tail. Seen BC and T-Mez both do it.

I wouldn't say its my favorite track, probably third but for a short bullring its exciting vs what sometimes on other tracks is sprints at 20mph. NEVER SEEN THAT AT KOKOMO.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo on Sunday