IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sponsor Letter
2/22/14, 12:59 AM   #1
Sponsor Letter
Twenty8

Anybody have a good sponsor letter, or know of any online ?

2/22/14, 7:28 AM   #2
Re: Sponsor Letter
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty8 View Post
Anybody have a good sponsor letter, or know of any online ?
The best one is the one from the heart.

Jerry #66j

5 members like this post: Josh Spencer, MWestfallfan54, Pine, RacinReggie, STIDA.com
2/22/14, 8:39 AM   #3
Gregg

I've sent emails out to sponsors.

My basic outline is I thank then for the support of our sport/team/track. I mention how good the people they are sponsoring are. I then tell them how good you think their product is, what you use it on or your favorite menu item ect. The last line I reiterate my thanks for their support.

Sponsors aren't looking for perfection but like Jerry said, if it comes from the heart they would be most appreciative.

3 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Josh Spencer, RacinReggie
2/22/14, 11:57 AM   #4
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I still believe that one of the most important letters to sponsors is one from a fan who purchased the sponsor's product because they are a sponsor. I have told the story on here before of my email to Mean Green for sponsoring Hoffman's and my reply back from Mean Green's PR person. They really do pay attention. Everytime I eat at Jerry's sponsor I make sure that they know why I am there. Last year he referred me to a convenience store which sponsored them and we made sure they knew that. When I get home I will contact Carolina Nut Company because they sponsor Tracy. It would be really helpful if car owners made it easy for us fans to know how to contact and use their sponsors. While I am sure that most of them sponsor cars because they are friends of the owner/driver or are race fans, having new customers tell them they are using their product/service because they are race car sponsors certainly doesn't hurt.

2/22/14, 3:11 PM   #5
Twenty8

I need a sample letter to go off of asking auto body shops to paint my car this season in return for their name on the car.

2/22/14, 3:22 PM   #6
Jerry Spencer

Explain to them what you have to offer them in exchange for the paint or what ever you are asking for, let them know how you plan to pay them back by getting there name in front of as many people as you can in a positive way.

Jerry #66j

2 members like this post: Josh Spencer, mowerman
2/22/14, 6:48 PM   #7
Jerry Spencer

This might sound silly but Josh goes in to talk to a sponsor ( as he has since the start at 8 years old) with any newspaper clippings grade cards anything he does away from the track and letters from people that believe in Josh.

To you it's a paint job to them it's how are you going to pay for what I have given you, tell them what your going to do then bust your a^% to go beyond what you promised.

I can tell you when HalfMoon came on board at the meeting Chris said he was comming on board because of what Josh did off the track as much as he did on the track, We have been in the top ten at Kokomo and Gas City since day one in a sprint car, one feature win and a ton of smaller wins yet until Chris we were unable to get anything that paid most of the bill's, Chris also said that it looked like Josh ran clean regardless of what was at stake, the fact that most of the drivers we ran for respected Josh made a huge difference along with the fact that when there was a problem ( very seldom) Josh was the one that had the helmet on Josh was the one that took the ass chewing. Sarah and I think that if your man enough or lady enough to strap in you are man/lady enough to take what you have comming and with that in mind we stay out of racing deals, I would hope no parent would stick there nose in between two drivers that had a problem, we look at Josh as a driver not some kid.

If Josh had a chewing out comming it is his, I'm not going to stand by and let you hurt my driver but if he did something stupid and deserved an ass whippin or a chewing out that comes with putting a helmet on, that also comes with finding new sponsors and keeping old ones on the car.

We told Josh at a young age the people you are sitting next to at Dairy Queen may be your next sponsor so act like they are who you are meeting on Monday.

I know I am rambling but you would be suprised who may hand you the next check or for that matter buy your dinner after a tough night then the next week tell you to keep the change, we have a guy that pays our pit passes and sends checks at the perfect time, we have people that stop at the trailer and when we are cleaning up we find a hundred, fifty, twenty or a five and do it without asking for anything in return other that making them proud on and off the track.

Before HalfMoon most of our help came from in kind deals, hair cuts ice on the weekends or like I said Taco Bell after a tough night, everyone of the people that helped with what they could meant as much as the person that wrote a check and used it as a tax write off, the deal at Spencer Racing is weather you bought a pit pass, took our picture for free or bought our dinner, you were just as important as the people that handed us big money, in short they all count and without all of them we could not do it.

Sometimes I get down because the people that run dirty or wad cars up keep getting the breaks and the big checks when I know Josh has just as much if not more talent than them, then we get a check from somebody that works forty hours a week and does it because they are friends of Spencer Racing.

I guess in short there is no copy of a sponsor letter you can use if you really love what your doing tell them, then talk them into loving the sport just as much as the dumb a%^ guy typing this way too long response to a very easy question.

They may start as a sponsor but if they end up being your friend we all win.

One last thing, we stay as long as we have too to talk to the fans after a race, sponsor see that and like the fact that you are there for the fans, tell the people that you have no problem showing up for there events and you have no problem hanging around until all the fans have had a chance to see and talk with there driver, if you think about it you work for the people that are on your car.

Good luck and stay safe.

Jerry #66j
stida.com/ HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer.com
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 2/22/14 at 6:57 PM.

2/22/14, 7:23 PM   #8
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
This might sound silly but Josh goes in to talk to a sponsor ( as he has since the start at 8 years old) with any newspaper clippings grade cards anything he does away from the track and letters from people that believe in Josh.

To you it's a paint job to them it's how are you going to pay for what I have given you, tell them what your going to do then bust your a^% to go beyond what you promised.

I can tell you when HalfMoon came on board at the meeting Chris said he was comming on board because of what Josh did off the track as much as he did on the track, We have been in the top ten at Kokomo and Gas City since day one in a sprint car, one feature win and a ton of smaller wins yet until Chris we were unable to get anything that paid most of the bill's, Chris also said that it looked like Josh ran clean regardless of what was at stake, the fact that most of the drivers we ran for respected Josh made a huge difference along with the fact that when there was a problem ( very seldom) Josh was the one that had the helmet on Josh was the one that took the ass chewing. Sarah and I think that if your man enough or lady enough to strap in you are man/lady enough to take what you have comming and with that in mind we stay out of racing deals, I would hope no parent would stick there nose in between two drivers that had a problem, we look at Josh as a driver not some kid.

If Josh had a chewing out comming it is his, I'm not going to stand by and let you hurt my driver but if he did something stupid and deserved an ass whippin or a chewing out that comes with putting a helmet on, that also comes with finding new sponsors and keeping old ones on the car.

We told Josh at a young age the people you are sitting next to at Dairy Queen may be your next sponsor so act like they are who you are meeting on Monday.

I know I am rambling but you would be suprised who may hand you the next check or for that matter buy your dinner after a tough night then the next week tell you to keep the change, we have a guy that pays our pit passes and sends checks at the perfect time, we have people that stop at the trailer and when we are cleaning up we find a hundred, fifty, twenty or a five and do it without asking for anything in return other that making them proud on and off the track.

Before HalfMoon most of our help came from in kind deals, hair cuts ice on the weekends or like I said Taco Bell after a tough night, everyone of the people that helped with what they could meant as much as the person that wrote a check and used it as a tax write off, the deal at Spencer Racing is weather you bought a pit pass, took our picture for free or bought our dinner, you were just as important as the people that handed us big money, in short they all count and without all of them we could not do it.

Sometimes I get down because the people that run dirty or wad cars up keep getting the breaks and the big checks when I know Josh has just as much if not more talent than them, then we get a check from somebody that works forty hours a week and does it because they are friends of Spencer Racing.

I guess in short there is no copy of a sponsor letter you can use if you really love what your doing tell them, then talk them into loving the sport just as much as the dumb a%^ guy typing this way too long response to a very easy question.

They may start as a sponsor but if they end up being your friend we all win.

One last thing, we stay as long as we have too to talk to the fans after a race, sponsor see that and like the fact that you are there for the fans, tell the people that you have no problem showing up for there events and you have no problem hanging around until all the fans have had a chance to see and talk with there driver, if you think about it you work for the people that are on your car.

Good luck and stay safe.

Jerry #66j
stida.com/ HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer.com
Very good post. My son does the sponsoship leg work and we have talked about exactly what Jerry posted.

My biggest advice is talk directly with a prospective new sponsor. You can create a letter or small packet for basic info, but talking/meeting face to face is the most effective. If the person or company knows you then you could contact via email or letter. But if they do not know you it is very unlikely you will get a response. A sponsor wants to get to know you before they will fork over money or services.

3 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Josh Spencer, RacinReggie
2/22/14, 7:35 PM   #9
Rpracing1

I sold 5K worth of sponsorships this winter for my sons Lacrosse team by contacting local businesses with letters only. Most companies seem eager to help if you can give them some good exposure for their company. This was also my first attempt at soliciting funds.you just have to put forth an effort. Nothing is free.

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Josh Spencer
2/22/14, 7:53 PM   #10
Jerry Spencer

I will add one thing, Josh fills a thank you card out and put's a business card in it with the saying thank you for taking the time to meet with me.

This card goes in the mail as soon as the meeting is over and when I say the mail I mean Josh goes to the post office and sees to it that they get the thank you the next day.

Jerry #66j
stida.com / HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer.com

1 member likes this post: Josh Spencer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sponsor Letter