IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smart TV for internet pay per view??
1/13/14, 12:20 AM   #1
Smart TV for internet pay per view??
chathamracefan

I'm looking to get a Smart TV at some point. Have any of you used this to watch racing PPV straight on your TV? I currently have Apple TV that I stream from the PC to the TV. Works pretty good as is. Just wondering for future reference. Thanks!

Ordered the full boat for the Chili Bowl PPV. Can't wait for Tuesday!

1/13/14, 6:23 AM   #2
Re: Smart TV for internet pay per view??
kdobson

Be careful on your smart TV because what you are really looking for on the "Smart" part is an internet browser. Many of these and the smart DVD players have wifi but use apps that kind of box you in to a limited number of services: NetFlix, Hulu, Pandora, YouTube etc. Those are great, but none of them will natively let you go to a website and stream a video not hosted on one of the app services.

The most common browser you are going to find in one of these is Google Chrome. So in the list of things it can do, don't just look for the words "streaming video", look for "web browser" or Chrome. There are workarounds, but it's not going to be plug and play for what we want to use it for as race fans without a browser.

The Apple TV airplay option you mention is a good one where you stream from your phone. Google has something similar for Android users now with the Chromecast which is about $35 at Best Buy etc. (Haven't tried it) On one TV I have a 3 year old GoogleTV box that has a web browser which works great, but for simplicity it's hard to beat just plugging your laptop in up to your TV with an HDMI cable if you are looking for the quick and easy fix.

I'm not an expert so feel free to correct me on anything here that isn't accurate or suggest your own setup because I'm sure there will be a lot of people streaming to their TV for the first time this week.
Last edited by kdobson; 1/13/14 at 8:35 AM.

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, rachasin, Speedracer
1/13/14, 8:08 AM   #3
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Apple TV is $99, and the Google Chromecast is $35. I have both. If you have an HDMI port in the back of your TV, and Google Chrome on a laptop, desktop, ios device or Android device you can wirelessly stream. If you simple wanna watch PPV racing over the next month or so I would say get the Chromecast, as it does everything you would need. Not that I recommend buying stuff from Walmart, but I do know they sell them in the stores if you need one this week.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Chr...layer/33142918
Last edited by apexonephoto; 1/13/14 at 8:45 AM.

1/14/14, 9:38 AM   #4
Daboy

I have the Roku3 and I am hoping that sometime in the not so distant future that places like Racinboys and Jackslash will have an app there. USAC allready has one. Pretty neat setup really.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smart TV for internet pay per view??