IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > wing or no wing?
11/22/13, 10:53 AM   #1
wing or no wing?
17B

What is your take on sprint car racing non-wing? or winged?
which is better for fan and racer?
if responding clarify whether you are fan or racer...
looking at ideas for Clay County Speedway in 2014.
Please take this post on a serious note, thanks
Kevin

11/22/13, 10:58 AM   #2
Re: wing or no wing?
Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17B View Post
What is your take on sprint car racing non-wing? or winged?
which is better for fan and racer?
if responding clarify whether you are fan or racer...
looking at ideas for Clay County Speedway in 2014.
Please take this post on a serious note, thanks
Kevin

You're posting on an Indiana forum. So I'd say probably at least 80% of the viewers prefer the traditional non-wing form of racing. (I know I do), and I'm in wing country.

11/22/13, 11:03 AM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Fan/Photog here. I enjoy both, but my personal preference is non winged. You've got a lot more speed with a winged car, but the on track actions is not as close or exciting in my opinion. One other thing to keep in mind is the track size. In the central pa area most of the Sprint Car tracks are 3/8 to 1/2 mile tracks. I don't know if I'd want to see Wingless cars on those big fast 1/2 miles on a weekly basis. I'd just be concerned for the drivers there.

2 members like this post: Adams-sideways, Puddin33
11/22/13, 11:06 AM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Kevin,

I haven't been to Clay County Speedway yet but I certainly plan on attending to see what it is all about. I am only a fan but having grown up in Southern Illinois and now calling Indiana home, traditional sprint cars on dirt remain near the top of my list. I still attend winged shows and enjoy all types of racing so I am probably not your best gauge of interest.

It seems that a line is drawn with most people that either wing or traditional sprints are the only thing they will watch. One or the other, certainly not both. I personally see it as two different types of racing and enjoy both of them. If I had to select one over the other, traditional sprints win out.

I know that you have been running traditional sprints and I commend you for continuing to try and build the brand. To give you an idea, Waynesfield Speedway in Ohio tried alternating traditional sprints and winged sprints. They have now settled on weekly traditional sprints with special winged sprint shows mixed in. This in the state of Ohio which is very strong wing country.

Whatever your decision, we hope to make it over to see a show or two at Clay County. Good luck in 2014 and beyond.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: bob marvin, jim goerge
11/22/13, 11:32 AM   #5
Clay11x

Non wing, keep the Indiana non wing tradititions going

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
11/22/13, 11:35 AM   #6
wing410fan

Race Count This Year: 2

All of the states around Indiana are wing states. The only reason Indiana is a non- wing state is because of USAC having there headquarters here.

1 member likes this post: fish
11/22/13, 11:40 AM   #7
cmakin

As a fan, I do like both. Growing up on Norcal in the 70s, sprint cars didn't have wings; dirt supermodifieds did. As a guy taking pictures, I probably prefer cars without wings because they back it into the corners harder to get around the track than their winged counterparts, and that makes for a more interesting photo.

1 member likes this post: fish
11/22/13, 11:50 AM   #8
JJMooney

I'm not going to get into the pro/con, wing/non-wing debate. With that said though, as a fan of both, I really wouldn’t mind seeing a winged show at Clay County in 2014. One or two MOWA shows next year would be nice. With Flora situated between the Springfield and Farmington areas, I think a MOWA show would draw pretty well. If you pick a Saturday night when Farmington is dark, you’d probably have a nice field of cars and a good crowd.

11/22/13, 11:54 AM   #9
larsonfan
Banned

Non-wing.

Winged racing, by and large, is just a parade.

11/22/13, 12:14 PM   #10
Rpracing1

Kevin..............you bring in a MOWA show there and we will be there to support you

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > wing or no wing?