IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oswego Classic
9/1/13, 6:41 AM   #1
Oswego Classic
ASPHALT24

Good luck to all drivers in today's Oswego Classic 200 for Supermodifieds in New York. Wish I could be there to see it.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, IndyBound, KENDALLRACING, speed bump
9/1/13, 7:02 AM   #2
Re: Oswego Classic
ohio21

I'm at Oswego.......been a great 3 days so far....Shullick, Jr.....NTR last night.....2nd in IMSA feature..Brad Lichty won IMSA feature......Classic today should be a great one!

9/1/13, 8:18 AM   #3
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPHALT24 View Post
Good luck to all drivers in today's Oswego Classic 200 for Supermodifieds in New York. Wish I could be there to see it.
Wish you were here to witness history being made Kevin, today will be the first time a woman starts the Classic in its 57 year history, Jessica Zemken qualified 10th with a lap of 16.590. Although there have been attempts in the past by woman none have qualified. This year a woman ran the winged show and one will start the 200laps today.

D.J. or Little Shoe as he is called set a blistering time of 14.972 and a new track record for the ISMA race last night. If it was a 75 lapper I think he would have caught and gotten by Mike. He was runnimg a half second faster a mile than Mike and Liguid Lou towards the end of the feature. I don't know what happended to cause him to fall back early in the race, I was to busy watching Timmy J. who qualified 13th and finished 10th.

Will try to update later Kevin,

Patti

9/1/13, 7:20 PM   #4
bahawk

Bobby Bond gets the win with Otto Sitterly finishing 2nd.

A couple of scarey looking wrecks. Glad the foam blocks did their job.

4 members like this post: ASPHALT24, IndyBound, Pat O'Connor Fan, speed bump
9/2/13, 11:00 AM   #5
IndyBound

Sorry Kevin, I was to tired to post an update last night. While the Oswego Classic will always be the most exciting race of the season it was rather sad to see so few cars in the pits yesterday. You and I have both been there in the days when there would be 60 or more super trying to make the classic to only having 35 super trying to make a 34 car field was a little sad for me. But it is what is happending in all the racing divisions not just the supers. Davey Hamilto dominate the 1st 100 laps leading the entire time until Pat Lavery got by in lapped traffic. Lap 70 saw only of those scary monents the previous poster mentioned. Shawn Muldoon took a hard hit into the !st turn foam when the throttle stuck on his #1, the car came back across the track and hit the infield retaining wall. While the car was heavy damaged Shawn was eventually able to get out and was all right. During that accident monents seemed like minutes until Shawn was seen moving around in the car. Lap 70 also saw the end of Jessica Zemken's day, she went high to avoid Shawn and had the car come around on her in turn 2. Ryan Litt's first Classic will be memorable for him, Fastest Canadian Qualifier, Rookie Honors, and a fourth place finish in his first classic. I think Jessica could have given him a run for Rookie Honors if her hadn't ended early. Shaun Gosselin finished 3rd, this young racer has had a excellent year, his 1st feature win cominhg on August 10th followed up with a second feature win August 17th and knocking on the door of his first Championship. We will see what happends on September 14th. Bobby Bond Took the lead on Lap 154 with Ott Sitterly moving into second on lap 156. We saw the yellow flag fly on lap 184 when Pat Lavery spun after being passed by the leader. On lap 198 Bond had put Sitterly five seconds behind and had his second classic win in sight all he had to do was hang on and that he did. Finish order Bobby Bond, Otto Sitterly, Shaun Gosselin, Ryan Little, only cars on the lead lap of the 13 cars still running. Fifth Davr Gruel, Jeff Locke and Dave Danzer all one lap down, Michael Barnes 2 laps down, Bobby Haynes, Pat Lavery and Joey Payne 3 laps down, Brandon Bellinger four laps down, and Timmy Jedrzejek last car riunning six laps down. Followed by Dan Connors Jr, Davey Hamilton, Joe Gosek, Ray Graham Jr., Jerry Curran, Dave Shullick Jr., Lou LeVea Jr., Tim Davendorf, Bob Magner, Jessica Zemken, Shawn Muldoon, Hal Latulip, Lou LeVea Sr., Michael Muldoon, Kieth Shampine, Tim Snyder Mike Lichty, Dave Cliff Dave Mcknight, Jeff SAbold and Joe Chillemi.

Joe Gosek was in and out of the pits numerous times during yellow flag periods, not Joe's usual classic, D. J. Scullick Jr. must of brushed thw wall and feel out of the race on lap 110 with steering problems. Dvey Hamilton's day ended in the first turn foam.

Wish you were in Oswego Kevin, maybe next year.

Patti

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, speed bump
9/2/13, 11:14 AM   #6
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahawk View Post
...A couple of scarey looking wrecks. Glad the foam blocks did their job.
I've seen lots of pics of cars hitting the foam and it looks like it makes a terrible mess. How long does it take to clean up the track after one of those hits? Do they replace the destroyed blocks with new ones?

9/2/13, 1:14 PM   #7
johnnythunderhead
Banned

if you think 35 cars is a bad count, be thankful you're not a usac silver crown or midget fan
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 9/2/13 at 1:35 PM.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
9/2/13, 5:00 PM   #8
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
I've seen lots of pics of cars hitting the foam and it looks like it makes a terrible mess. How long does it take to clean up the track after one of those hits? Do they replace the destroyed blocks with new ones?

Dick, I think the going price for a new foam block is $225, they are always looking for people to sponsor a block and do replace them when needed. During classic when caution laps count the clean up can cost a race team valueable laps if they are able to continue however the Oswego Speedway Safety Crew is the best out there and does everything they can to get a car going as fast as possible or treat an injured driver as fast as needed. At the begining of the race season if the blocks have been replaced with all new ones they look pretty good, as the season goes on they look like a jagged mess, as long as they are still functional they are used. Last night when the race was over, we were sitting in the pits an I happend to look down into turn 1 where I saw two young kids had climbed on top of the blocks, they were just having a ball walking on top of them.

Patti

9/2/13, 5:24 PM   #9
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead View Post
if you think 35 cars is a bad count, be thankful you're not a usac silver crown or midget fan
Johnnythunderhead, I am a fan of USAC Silver Crown, Midgets and Sprints as well as the Supermodifieds. I am also a Supermodified fan that has seen high car counts for Classic weekend back in the heyday, I didn't use the word bad I said it was sad to see only 35 cars. An I do feel that way, back in the 60's and 70's all of the Midwest supers would make the trip to Oswego for Classic, as well as the local and new England cars. This year very few Midwest cars made the trip to Oswego and there were only eight drivers attempt to run both the ISMA SuperNationals and the Oswego Classic Sometimes I question running a wing show as much as I love the ISMA Supers on the same weekend as Classic. The cars are out there they are just split into so many divisions now that I think there needs to be some changes to the Oswego Speedway Classic weekend to help increase the classic car count. The other thing that needs to be increased is the purse , they are racing for less now than they did years ago. The Torresse's are doing a great job with the track and I am sure they will address whatever they feel will help continue to make the Oswego Classic the prestigious race it has always been for the supermodifieds.

Patti

2 members like this post: bahawk, BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oswego Classic