IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield/great show
8/18/13, 3:19 AM   #1
Springfield/great show
LEADERS EDGE

The Silver Crown race a Springfield had multiple lead changes....top 3-5 running together much of the race.....racing through-out the pack...... ELBOWS UP, HAMMER DOWN racing with qualifying type speeds in the 31 to 32 Sec. range for 100 MILES.

There were VIDEO BOARDS with nearly HD quality video expertly shot by Dean Mills and crew, BOB JENKINS doing PA on a CONCERT QUALITY PA SYSTEM, and an autograph session under the stands before the race.

The car count may have been down, but the quality of racing wasn't. If you are a fan or a team owner that wasn't there.....you missed out.

BOB SARGENT AND USAC PUT ON A GREAT RACE AND A GREAT SHOW.

8/18/13, 6:41 AM   #2
Re: Springfield/great show
Pat O'Connor Fan

Thanks, Scott !

8/18/13, 7:38 AM   #3
PIT CART

Wow a positive post about a race with only 20 cars. Thank you leaders edge. I am sure everybody that went watched a good race.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: billwill7, BrentTFunk, fish, OTSNWR, racing2bwithu2
8/18/13, 7:43 AM   #4
miledirt

I will agree... Jenkins and Childers did a very professional and great job behind the mic of a solid PA system. And, those 20 cars did put on a good show. The top 5,6 went at it for a 100 miles!

Come on owners, get those dusty Silver Crown cars out of your garages and get them down to DuQuoin in a few weeks!

8/18/13, 8:55 AM   #5
SpfldMile

First time I got a pit pass and stood right against the first turn rail during practice. Hoooleeee Cow! What a rush!

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, racing2bwithu2
8/18/13, 9:20 AM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I've seen races with 50 cars that weren't half as good as this. I've gotten used to short fields and when the race is this good it more than makes up for it. Another plus is that it gets over early enough that you can go to another one afterwards anywhere within 4 hours! I like that inside rail idea, gonna try that next year!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/18/13, 11:26 AM   #7
racephoto1

Great show. It was nice to see AJ win again, there's no place like home. As for Shane Cockrum, buy your crew a steak dinner, those boys earned it. Their never give up attitude was great to see.
As for the 100 miles, that was the best one I've seen in quite a while. Thanks for the show to the drivers, it's appreciated.

8/18/13, 11:38 AM   #8
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

First trip to Springfield and we had a blast. One of the better SC races we have seen in a while. Congrats to Fike on the win and to Cockrum and his crew. What a tremendous effort after putting the car into the wall during practice. We enjoyed watching every lap. Will definitely plan to return next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, HardyBoysRacing, racing2bwithu2, SpfldMile
8/18/13, 2:46 PM   #9
sprntr

I took Sandy down to the end of the front straight at DuQuoin a couple of years ago. There's a spot there in the infield where the wall makes a zig-zag. I positioned her there in the corner, stood behind her and as the field came down to take the Green, I loving wrapped my arms around her, preventing her from bolting as the still massed field pitched their cars sideway, bumpers pointed right towards us. Two things I learned that day, 1) Adrenaline make people REALLY strong and 2) She didn't learn THOSE words in Catholic School!
Now that's where you'll find her for the start of every Crown race, down at the end of the front straight as close to the inside guard rail as possible.

steiny

8/18/13, 5:00 PM   #10
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

It was really a great day. We certainly enjoyed ourselves and will be back next year. Fike may have won the race but Cockrum and his crew sure had a winning effort getting their buggy back together and finishing 5th.

Can't wait for Duquoin in 2 weeks!

5 members like this post: billwill7, BrentTFunk, K-Dawg30, racephoto1, racing2bwithu2
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield/great show