IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > i miss when things were simple
5/27/13, 7:21 AM   #1
i miss when things were simple
JDONAMO
Inactive Member

Race Count This Year: 6

not that the car counts are terrible , but it seems like there were more cars around when we didnt run anti sway bars , cockpit adjustable shocks and stops , and we werent soaking tires

3 members like this post: CY51, DaveP63, racer5c
5/27/13, 6:10 PM   #2
Re: i miss when things were simple
DaveP63

Once upon a time we had an adjustable shock and put the can in the cockpit for the driver to tinker with. Eventually, I disconnected it and left the can in there for him to tinker with.

5/27/13, 7:46 PM   #3
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

While the things you list above add to the cost of racing, they are a mere drop in the bucket compared to the cost of tires. When a RR costs $225 and you need at least two every night, where is the incentive for an owner to field a car. At a local show the purse is $1400 to win, two tires are 32% of the winnings, and that is if you win. Run second and you lose money big time after paying the driver.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

5/28/13, 2:27 PM   #4
fasster23

Valley Speedway in Grain Valley MO there's no cockpit adjustments. Run what ya brung motor rule. 18" Medium RR which no one replaces weekly. 1500 lbs. it only pays $700 to win but they avg 20-25 cars every week.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: oldfan49, ROSS
5/28/13, 8:00 PM   #5
Bill Gardner
Administrator

The old DT3 tire back in late 90's-early 2000's was a brick.

I wish that tire would be used today.

I know LPS had the DT3 rule... Who else did? I thought we used the D10 / D12 or RD12 at the other tracks & USAC.

The HT2 tire feels similiar to the old D12 or RD12.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: bsmith8, jim goerge, oldfan49
5/28/13, 8:40 PM   #6
4wheelsinthekoosh

Sway bars have been used since the 80s just in different forms of sprint racing (pavement). Why would I buy 5 to 7 different shocks per corner then have just one adjustable? And if you have a driver that lives and breaths setups and how the car works adjusters in the cockpit will only help. If you don't have one of those drivers find one cause they are going to be hard to beat. And you can thank usac for the ht2 the owners and drivers wanted something different than the dt3. They got what they wanted so all local track changed to so you wouldn't have to have two different tires. Just one constant RR

Posted via Mobile Device

5/28/13, 9:02 PM   #7
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelsinthekoosh View Post
the owners and drivers wanted something different than the dt3
If that is the case then they need to dial 7838 when they want to talk about rising costs. Lol

Posted via Mobile Device

5/28/13, 9:23 PM   #8
4wheelsinthekoosh

Yes yes they do bill.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/28/13, 11:33 PM   #9
batch56

I like a spec RR tire rule. I am probably not going to go buy different tires to run Paragon, Waynesfield, Clay County or any other track that has a open tire rule. Like Gary said previously, It is hard enough to keep good tires on a car with a spec rule. just my opinion.

1 member likes this post: Morin Racing 98
5/31/13, 10:02 PM   #10
JDONAMO
Inactive Member

Race Count This Year: 6

im not saying to not allow adjustable shocks . just no **** pit adjusters . the tire rule is no good if you have to buy a tire more than once a weekend ! ive been around a day or two and have seen my share of sway bars , just saying that things seemed simpler when they werent as common.by the way how much is a good cockpit adjustable shock set up per corner , when i was on a deal they were salty , around 200.00 a corner . 800.00 for the car , another four in the trailer , well you all know seems salty to me , i havent had a deal in a minute so im betting they are 4 to 5 hundred a corner . again just a thought..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > i miss when things were simple