IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why is Indy famous?
5/15/13, 1:28 PM   #1
Why is Indy famous?
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

According to an email I received today from SmarterTravel.com ...

"About Indianapolis
High-speed action is only part of the fun in Indianapolis. The city best known for its annual NASCAR race also delivers living history, lively neighborhoods, and more sporting activities than you can shake a stick at."

5/15/13, 1:31 PM   #2
reeserx

Lol! Epic fail on their part. This is the 97th annual Indy 500 and only best known for the brickyard race haha!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Tony74
5/15/13, 1:46 PM   #3
Re: Why is Indy famous?
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
According to an email I received today from SmarterTravel.com ...

"About Indianapolis
High-speed action is only part of the fun in Indianapolis. The city best known for its annual NASCAR race also delivers living history, lively neighborhoods, and more sporting activities than you can shake a stick at."

Was it signed by Mike Helton?

5/15/13, 3:47 PM   #4
PJ Wright

Duh, everyone knows the REAL reason it's famous; the Mug n Bun.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

6 members like this post: 2HWrench, DRC, Mud Packer, ronmil, Speedwrench, Todd Kimmel
5/15/13, 6:33 PM   #5
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
Duh, everyone knows the REAL reason it's famous; the Mug n Bun.
And Long's Donuts.

5 members like this post: 2HWrench, FHeinz15h, racephoto1, ronmil, Speedwrench
5/15/13, 7:44 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I thought it was because the retired mailman from Columbus/racing writer extraordinaire Mr. Burton & Mr. Fishburger were young lads watching from Section A back in 1911 when Ray Harroun crossed the finish line at the corner of 16th & Georgetown.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: Danny Burton, interpreter66, racephoto1, robert gatten, ronmil
5/15/13, 8:49 PM   #7
TQ29m

I always thought it was because my Dad and I never forgot when it was, and who the drivers were, without TV, all we had was an AM radio, sitting on an upside down metal bucket, in his "lean to" garage, complete with dirt floor, and we sat and listened, no talking, till our butts went to sleep, listening to Tom Carnagie tell the whole story as it unfolded, we didn't need to "see" a Novi coming, you knew what it was by the way it sounded, a sound I'll never forget, just like today, a P51 Mustang made a pass thru, those are sounds that make your heart race, and you know what it is, without "seeing" it, the Offies were all tuned a bit different, and almost all of them had a sound of their own, then the V8's, the diesels and all the high reving foreign entries, to me, that's what made it famous, we couldn't afford to go, but we sure enjoyed it, together, out in the "garage", which was a stretch, but it's where I learned to weld, build flatheads and hot rods, with what I could scrape together, and all the "gang" came to visit, play horseshoes, eucher, and I don't think anyone turned out bad. Those days are gone, and it's sad, that only a few of us are left that were a part of it, the stories can be told over and over, but without being there, it will never "sound" right! Bob

5/15/13, 9:08 PM   #8
racephoto1

Sadly , until the first Brickyard, Indy was famous for the 500. Times have changed.

I remember going by the Speedway as a kid, even in winter, it was special. It was INDY. Unfortunately, after all the other stuff they run there, it's become just another race track. It isn't so special anymore.

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
5/15/13, 9:28 PM   #9
SprintFan

Race Count This Year: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
And Long's Donuts.
And Pit Stop BBQ

5/16/13, 12:52 AM   #10
johnnythunderhead
Banned

indianapolis is famous for: ... little green apples in the summertime ...

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why is Indy famous?