IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kieth Ford
6/11/08, 11:55 PM   #1
Kieth Ford
dirtyd6305

This is just my 2 cents but.....upon the completion of my summer session course at IU in economics, I have come to the conclusion that Kieth Ford is the smartest promoter.....no I'm sorry....smartest business man in the state. This man not only displays a great knowledge of economics and how to turn a profit, but he is also a marketing genius as well. A few weeks ago Mr. Ford got on the board and suggested to everyone to check out his "re-configuring" of turn 1 saying he had pushed it out. Well I went to Paragon 2 weekends ago and I did not notice anything different, but that doesn't bother me one bit; I mean why fix something if it isn't broken? By Mr. Ford getting on here and throwing that out there he convinced me to skip a trip to Eldora for WoO. That is sheer genius and damnit it worked, and it worked out even better since I saved bucko bucks in gas! As far as the economic side of things he has got that flat out mastered. The concession stand is low cost-high profit, and I'm assuming there is probably not a very high expense on bathroom upkeep. He even saved money on bleacher expense in the pits, at least up until a year or 2 ago, because you used to be able to stand on the roof of the john in the pits to watch the races. Hell, he even scored a major advertising bonus this month with the feature story in Indianapolis Monthly, as half of the pics were from Paragon. Not to mention he is the only major promoter who does bother with USAC. O ya and is there any other track in the state, let alone the country, that can pull 70 cars for a local show? Perhaps the icing on the cake is that Mr. Ford even has a great sense of humor, as Paragon is the only track I know for sure that enforces the rule that all spectators MUST wear a shirt. Keith Ford you freaking rule, keep doing what your doing, you are the man!

6/12/08, 2:38 AM   #2
Re: Kieth Ford
mcintosh34

Im not sure how to take this post. I do know Keith and Judy Ford are very important to sprint car racing in Indiana. The program is rather unique, which Im sure everyone knows. If things ever change at Paragon Speedway, it will be a dark day for sprint car racing in this area. As far as Keith making large amounts of money, if you do the math, his purse is larger then most tracks in this area when he runs his regular shows. Yes Keith is a promoter. I respect him for that. As far as the turn one work, I can see what he had done, and in the right situation, I can see it making the top easier to run on that end of the track. I see where we lost sprint car races at one track already. Lets be glad, Paragon has a promotor that does still promote.
Robert McIntosh

6/12/08, 7:22 AM   #3
Gregg Obst

Some of you folks don't know how good a setup you have there with Paragon. No matter how many cars show up, everyone runs a feature. No inflated egos or outlaw killer engines (and costs). No contests where the car owners see who can throw their wallets the furthest like we have here in the East.

I'd kill for a setup like that here in PA. I can assure you we'd have a ton less street stock, thundercar, xtreme stocks, pro stocks, etc running here because those folks could then afford to run a real race car (traditional Sprint) without going broke.

Hats off to Keith Ford and all involved for keeping something so unique and important to grass roots racing alive. Not every race needs to be flashy and have forty foot brightly painted multi-million dollar haulers show up.

6/12/08, 9:27 AM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

I think Keith was pretty brilliant. He looked at the herd(other tracks) and figured out how to exploit where they where lacking. He realized that there were a bunch of guys who were sitting and watching the feature at the end of the night and figured out that they: a)Were not Professional racers or B)New guys who needed laps.

He figured out that to those guys the feature payout was not the goal, but just racing was the goal.

In the mean time, he has also brought in possibly a 100 or more drivers to the game by taking away the pressure of having to make a show and eliminating fracturing the fragile ego's of new guys who would struggle to make the show under different circumstances.

I think a place like Danville is foolish by not offering a Friday show using the same format.

Some things can be debated like guys running there after they have gotten the skills to compete on a different level. I know that when the series was first implimented they tried to encourage guys who were winning too much to move on to other tracks. That is one of those things where it's not really anyones place to decide how someone should spend their time and money.

6/12/08, 9:58 AM   #5
Millsvideo

I haven't been to a show at Paragon since I moved to Indiana in June of 2003...

In fact, I haven't been to Paragon since the last USAC Sprintweek show they had there. What's that been, 10 years? I cannot remember...

That's not to say I wouldn't go. I just haven't. As a racefan (and please understand, I speak strictly as a fan here), it's a low priority with me mostly because Mr. Ford prepares the surface in a way that is not "up my alley". Bone dry slick is not my idea of a racing surface conducive to good sprint car racing.

Nevertheless, I think Mr. Ford is on to something, and has created a culture for his racetrack that has been very successful. A lot of up and coming drivers use Paragon to gain experience to move up the ranks in sprint car racing, and therefore, I appreciate the fact that Paragon is there for that. Yes, many will stay there to race indefinitely, but that is because they've created a niche that allows for low buck racers to compete and see success. For that, I commend what they've done at Paragon.

By the way, maybe I am missing something, but does anyone know the current status of the racetrack? I have heard that half the town was washed away, but have not heard anything about the speedway...

DM

6/12/08, 10:18 AM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I make a point to visit Paragon everytime I'm in Indiana. I've yet to leave dissapointed!!! I love the format and I can't say I not seen good racing when I was there. Like Gregg said you guys don't know how good you got it!

6/12/08, 10:42 AM   #7
jjones776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsvideo View Post
By the way, maybe I am missing something, but does anyone know the current status of the racetrack? I have heard that half the town was washed away, but have not heard anything about the speedway...

DM
the track is still there and from the road it looks to be in pretty good shape. so hopefully they're still good to go.

6/12/08, 3:05 PM   #8
dirtyd6305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintosh34 View Post
Im not sure how to take this post. I do know Keith and Judy Ford are very important to sprint car racing in Indiana.
Robert McIntosh
I am not being sarcastic at all, take it as me expressing my love for Paragon.

6/12/08, 3:42 PM   #9
JoshCunningham

This is what Keith Ford had to say to the Reporter Times about the flood damage.

http://www.reporter-times.com/storie...qp-7702969.sto

God bless.

6/12/08, 3:49 PM   #10
bullringko

Hey, if I can add my two pennies here, Keith Ford is an outlaw promoter who took a huge risk with his program. As I have written many times, back in the winter of 1994 the track's winged sprint car program was dying and when faced with a difficult decision, he created a niche for the little guy. Had he not made that choice, ultimately we would have lost the track to stock cars. Sure, some may not enjoy the down-home, family-friendly, laid back atmosphere offered there, but along the way it has created a handful of sprint rookies each year while also extending careers and bringing back some from early retirement due to the high costs of competing. What other track, other than Bloomington, can claim Steve Kinser, Robbie Stanley, and Joey Saldana as early students?

Marching to the beat of his own drum, Keith Ford is a very wise man in my opinion. Even though he has faced loads of criticism, been forced to swallow his pride and take a few blows to the ego when his so-called friends took shots at him for going out on a limb, no one has been able to match his success for sprint car attendance in the last seven years. Asked to join a late 1970s World of Outlaws sprint car driver autograph session at Bloomington by Steve Kinser, Kinser said, "Keith, if there ever was an outlaw, it would be you."

Like many others, I'm looking forward to my next trip there for the KISS show. If that gets rained out, I will for sure make the drive down on 67 soon.

Keep up the good work Keith.

Kevin Oldham

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kieth Ford