IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac returns to belleville in 2013
10/31/12, 10:12 AM   #1
Usac Returns to Belleville in 2013
USAC Developmental

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 31, 2012
DICK JORDAN

USAC RETURNS TO BELLEVILLE IN 2013;
SILVER CROWN SERIES JOINS MIDGETS AT LEGENDARY HALF-MILE

One of America’s most revered motorsports events returns to the USAC fold in 2013 with an exciting addition to its tradition-laden program, when the 36th “Belleville Nationals” unfolds at the historic Belleville (Kansas) High Banks.

Since 1978 the spectacular high-banked dirt oval at the North Central Kansas Free Fair has thrilled fans with its annual “Belleville Midget Nationals” racing extravaganza. Next year, USAC’s vaunted TRAXXAS Silver Crown Championship Cars will make its Belleville debut in conjunction with the Mopar National Midget cars to produce a Belleville spectacle unlike any in the track’s history.

The August 1-3 schedule calls for a full program of USAC Midget racing, along with Silver Crown practice on Thursday night, Silver Crown qualifying and feature on Friday and the Midget finale on Saturday. In addition, renewing a long-standing tradition at Belleville, participants will gather Wednesday at the fairgrounds park to select opening slots for the Midget competition.

Half-mile dirt Silver Crown racing dates back to 1980 at Williams Grove, Pa. and in the ensuing 32 years other half-mile dirt ovals have included annual treks to Rossburg, Ohio and Terre Haute, Ind., plus events at Knoxville, Ia., Denver, Colo., Oklahoma City, Okla., Tampa, Fla., Parkersburg, W.Va., Hagerstown, Md., Las Vegas, Nev. and Phoenix, Ariz.

“We are looking forward to USAC’s return to the Belleville High Banks, adds USAC Silver Crown Series Director James Spink. “We expect this exciting addition at Belleville to attract new fans to the diehard-legion of race fans from American as well as Down-Under who annually target this weekend as one of their signature calendar events. We will see many drivers pulling double-duty that weekend, including many who have had their Silver Crown cars on the sideline the past year.”

“We are very happy to have USAC back on board for the 36th annual Belleville High Banks Midget Nationals, and also for the very first time bringing the USAC Silver Crown Series to the famed Belleville High Banks, says race organizer Jimmy Melton. “There will be alot of new events from autograph parties to the cars being displayed the week of the midget nationals. We really look forward to working with USAC on this historic event in 2013!”

USAC Triple Crown Champion Jerry Coons Jr. expects to be among drivers doing “double duty” in the 2013 Belleville program. He notched his third Belleville Midget Nationals championship last year and has a pair of wins on Silver Crown dirt half-miles. “I’ve been an advocate for the Silver Crown at Belleville, so I’m very excited to see this materialize,” says Jerry. The Silver Crown cars and the return of USAC’s National Midgets to Belleville should be a big step toward boosting the event for race fans. The half-mile tracks have always created great Silver Crown action and with Belleville’s different size configuration it should make for good racing.” Coons’ previous Silver Crown half-mile victories came at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix, Ariz. and at the “4-Crown Nationals” in Rossburg, Ohio.

USAC previously sanctioned the Belleville Midget Nationals from 1996, when Robby Flock was the winner, through 2009, when USAC National Drivers Champion Bryan Clauson took home the trophy.

--USAC—
Last edited by USAC Developmental; 10/31/12 at 10:35 AM.

10/31/12, 10:14 AM   #2
Re: Usac returns to belleville in 2013
racefan20

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: midget96
10/31/12, 11:31 AM   #3
Re: Usac Returns to Belleville in 2013
Kansasdirtfan

YES! My excitement level just jumped several notches. I've been wanting to see this for years. Silver Crown racing 2 hours from home! Wow! Will midget car counts return to the numbers seen in the 80s and 90s? Probably not, but this will provide a huge boost over this year's event, not only in car count, but fan count as well. And the Wednesday drawing in the town square will again be a highlight of the weekend. A big thank you to USAC and the fair board!
Last edited by Kansasdirtfan; 10/31/12 at 11:40 AM.

3 members like this post: Danny Burton, Drtchsr, speed bump
10/31/12, 11:36 AM   #4
Seadog

10/31/12, 11:37 AM   #5
Pat O'Connor Fan

I made my motel reservation as soon as I read this. I used to attend the Belleville Midget Nationals annually, but haven't been there for a few years. The prospect of seeing the dirt champ cars run there draws me back.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, nathans1012
10/31/12, 12:01 PM   #6
Jerry Shaw

This is fantastic news. It was heartbreaking to see USAC races scheduled against this great event. Not only for the fans, who deserve to see all of the best racers and teams in attendance, but also for drivers who were forced to choose against the Belleville Midget Nationals and the event it's self, that deserves to attract the best of the best.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, speed bump
10/31/12, 1:13 PM   #7
ISF

This is the best news we've seen out of the offices of the United States Auto Club in a very long time!

Two of our absolute favorite types of racecars at the same great venue!! Gotta' love the schedule of events, as well. Hopefully no support classes and the track should be in great shape throughout the weekend since they're not going to double up classes any one of the three nights.

Gonna' need to start savin' up starting right now!!

Since it's never too early to get the plans in motion I have a question:

How are the camping facilities? Can we camp on track property or do we need to secure a spot off track premises? We gotta' believe the facilities on and around the speedway will fill up real fast.
Last edited by ISF; 10/31/12 at 1:21 PM.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
10/31/12, 1:25 PM   #8
K-Dawg30

I'm impressed! USAC actually did something right! lol ... maybe they are actually listening a little bit

3 members like this post: koolaid89, speed bump, SprintRacer4
10/31/12, 1:40 PM   #9
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Since it's never too early to get the plans in motion I have a question:

How are the camping facilities? Can we camp on track property or do we need to secure a spot off track premises? We gotta' believe the facilities on and around the speedway will fill up real fast.
I have seen camping right beside the fairgrounds in the past. Not sure who you can get details from. Maybe Bob or one of the other guys at the Museum will know. High Banks Hall of Fame 785-527-2526.

Bart

1 member likes this post: ISF
10/31/12, 3:30 PM   #10
Thyfault925

This is fantastic news! Glad to see both sides come to the table and do something for the better of the sport. I'm trying to understand the schedule. See that the midgets will run a full program Thursday night with Silver Crown practice. Will the midgets run at all on Friday night?

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac returns to belleville in 2013