IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Safety
10/28/12, 5:11 PM   #1
Safety
koolaid89

With all racing there is a inherent risk that we all willingly accept, that being said it seems lately as drivers and teams are getting every last ounce of HP, TQ out of there engines and the most out of there shocks and suspension packages that speeds naturally increase with those gains. That being said and following a discussion with friends is it time for a change? Or am I in left field and everyone else would just assume leave things alone.

I know change is a tough pill to swallow for many reasons, typically financial reasons championing the rest, but is it time for the industry to give the drivers a fighting chance when it comes to safety? I'd really more than anything love to hear from the drivers on this. Without there input this is a pretty pointless conversation...

If the drivers are looking for a little cushion when it comes to safety what's the best way to accomplish it? Smaller / harder tires? slightly larger chassis that would allow for "crush zones"? (Wings aren't and never will be a option so don't even bother going there... )

My thoughts aren't just based on reducing fatality but also in reducing the back injury's. My concern is that I'm not certain it's avoidable with the current upright position drivers sit in. Is there a way around that? I can't imagine drivers using seats with any sort of layback it just doesn't seem practical.

Let's hear it folks, what do you think?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
10/28/12, 6:01 PM   #2
Re: Safety
rpedersen20

As I have been told since I was a young kid. Death and injury are an unfortunate aspect of the game we CHOOSE to play.

5 members like this post: Dgentry51, hairracer44, JDR37, monkeyboy, racephoto1
10/28/12, 8:35 PM   #3
Jonr

I work at a GM plant, and we start all meetings with the saying, "All accidents are preventable" GM is trying to create an atmosphere where accidents are not tolerated. It is a mindset that states that everyone that comes to work deserves to go home from work in the same condition that they started. When there is an accident, the plant will spend a lot of time doing a safety incident analysis and a "5 why" analysis.

I really do not understand why racers and race tracks do not have the same attitude. Way too many people are stuck in the status quo. How many tracks perform a safety walk? How many tracks have a safety action plan? How many drivers demand changes at the tracks where they run? How many drivers require the sanctioning body make changes at tracks before they race? What new safety features are the chassis manufacturers bringing to market?

The attitude of "things are good enough" needs to stop. I agree with the original poster that we need to look at new technology. I would also say that we need to have some intelligence when it comes to safety.

Does it really take a fatality for us to know that a telephone pole makes a horrible catch fence? Does it take a near fatality for us to know that a wall without a catch fence is incredibly dangerous? Does it take spectators being hit in the pits to know that a 18" steel guard rail is not enough protection to keep a car out of the pits? All three of these things happened in the KC area this year, and as of now none of the tracks have done anything to correct the problems.

Safety is an attitude.

10/28/12, 9:11 PM   #4
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Step 1 for reducing back injuries is seat belt mounting. The lap belt wrapping around the mid rail doesn't stop you butt from moving forward in the seat. Once your butt moves, you lose the support of the seat for your lower back on the next impact. Hooker Harness bolt in belts are a step in the right direction. Kasey Kahne racing also uses a bolt in installation that addresses this problem. Ask any safety equipment manufacturer and they will tell you that belt mounting angle is critical to the belts doing their job.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Bluteam, koolaid89, Lewis1585
10/28/12, 9:41 PM   #5
backitin

I've broken my back twice while racing where there was no safety obtions available. I dont regret not a second of it. I feel very safe while strapped in a racecar. You can only do so much in the name of safety before you change the nature of the beast. Anyhow, cars and equipment are way safer than when i was young and the norm was beer keg fuel tanks, cages welded with lincoln arc welders and the normal drivers outfit was a old open faced helmet, no gloves and wearing nothing but a tee shirt and greasy pants. Oh yeah, you had a lap belt, nothing more. The cars were faster and lighter then too, at least where we were.

10/28/12, 9:58 PM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

How to improve safety... No fines for an old school ass kickin when someone drives with their head up their ass. Haha.

Posted via Mobile Device

10/28/12, 10:02 PM   #7
racephoto1

Bill,

I like your answer, simple and succinct.

10/28/12, 10:27 PM   #8
fasster23

Talk to the good people at Butler Built about their new EZsert custom molded seat insert that's designed to be form fitting to the drivers back and bottom to help prevent back injuries. This combined with a set of belts like Hookers ratchet belts will make a difference. I have the ratchet lap belt and I can tell you your butt ain't moving when you crank it down. I personally feel that the seat is still somewhat overlooked in its importance. As Jonr spoke about the driver we lost here earlier in the year, I've heard his seat did not handle the violent crash and was severely bent as well as his belts loosening. I spoke to Steve Adams after his SC crash at THAT. He said his seat was badly bent as well. If the seat fails it can allow slack in the belts. It all goes bad after that because your head restraint and belts can hurt you rather than help you. I'm a locksmith and protecting your house has the same principle as protecting the driver. Everything is only as good as its weakest link.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
10/29/12, 1:28 AM   #9
treecitytornado

ButlerBuilt Sprint Advantage Seat is the only way to go! I've used one since 2003!
J.T. Stapp

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
10/29/12, 1:03 PM   #10
Ray3

Two safety items that are needed in my opinion are a required kill switch on the throttle pedal in case of a stuck throttle, and a way for the car to be shut off remotely by the officials.

The kill switch gives a driver a chance of slowing down if the throttle sticks. The remote shut off does two things, it gives the officials a way to kill the engine if a driver is unconcious with his foot the floor and also gives the officials a way to stop a driver who will not heed a black flag.
Last edited by Ray3; 10/29/12 at 1:04 PM.

2 members like this post: Jonr, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Safety