IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora vs. Belleville
9/21/12, 5:36 PM   #1
Eldora vs. Belleville
grader47

The Belleville race board has been talking to USAC about possibly having midgets, silver crown, and usac sprints next year at the High Banks but they say that the Belleville High Banks is too fast for the sprintcars yet alot of people say that Eldora and Belleville High Banks are about the same? What would people think of trying the three series at Belleville?

9/21/12, 5:51 PM   #2
Re: Eldora vs. Belleville
Jonr

HMMMMMM. Nice of you to join this message board.......
If it is safe for the midgets, why would it not be safe for the sprints..........
USAC already takes all three series to a bunch of fast tracks.........
The success would all depend on the date that they are looking at..........
Since I live in the KC area, I am hopeful that this will happen..........
HMMMMMM...................

9/21/12, 6:11 PM   #3
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
HMMMMMM. Nice of you to join this message board.......
If it is safe for the midgets, why would it not be safe for the sprints..........
USAC already takes all three series to a bunch of fast tracks.........
The success would all depend on the date that they are looking at..........
Since I live in the KC area, I am hopeful that this will happen..........
HMMMMMM...................
Sprintcars are quite a bit faster than a midget,years ago CRA was trying to get a race there during our annual tour and they asked some of the drivers what they thought about it and Lealand McSpadden said they were crazy for even thinking about it and that he wouldn't run there if they set up the race, as he felt it would be to dangerous at the speeds that they would be running.That was 20yrs. ago and the cars have gotten a whole lot faster than they were then.
To grader47,Belleville is a bigger track than Eldora.
Last edited by CRA91; 9/21/12 at 6:18 PM.

9/21/12, 6:15 PM   #4
treecitytornado

They have already run a WoO Show. Don't see what the problem would be to run Non-Wing. Belleville is slower than Eldora on the stopwatch by a lot.

Posted via Mobile Device

9/21/12, 6:21 PM   #5
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
They have already run a WoO Show. Don't see what the problem would be to run Non-Wing. Belleville is slower than Eldora on the stopwatch by a lot.

Posted via Mobile Device
That hog shed helps a whole lot though when you flip one,yes it's slower on a stop watch because it's a larger track.

9/21/12, 6:22 PM   #6
ossuks

This smells of a set-up, but I will bite!
B'ville and Eldora are very close in speed, with a slight edge to B'ville. But, the real issue would be the safety differences between the two. The guard rail at B'ville is dangerous at best, and to add the speed of sprints or the weight of SC cars would create a serious safety concern? The safety features at Eldora are first class. The Big E also always has a Life-flight on the grounds because of the distance they are from a major trauma center.B'ville is along way from a trauma center. Eldora has a catch fence along the front stretch that was designed to withstand the impact of a 1500lbs. car, the catch fence at B'ville is not on the same level.

So, is B'ville to fast, no, USAC boys are the best in the game at what they do. Is B'ville to fast with the safety issues, absolutely!!

3 members like this post: CRA91, Eldora Three, rachasin
9/21/12, 7:34 PM   #7
Jonr

It has been a couple of years since I have been to Belleville, so I will have to believe what you say about the gaurd rails. However, if it is safe enough for the midget nationals and the WOO, I would think that it is safe enough for the USAC sprints. Your comment about the care flight does make a lot of sense. Since we are all being set up by a first time poster, why not think that USAC could make it part of the contract with the High Banks?

---------- Post added at 6:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:58 PM ----------

Since I have bought into this hook, line and sinker, Why not take it to the next extreme. Two day show? Three day show? Midgets and 305's Thursday night, Midgets and SC Friday night, and Midgets and sprints Saturday night? All classes all nights? Another stand alone date or does this replace the midget nationals show?

9/21/12, 9:20 PM   #8
Kansasdirtfan

Well, it's an exciting proposition for sure, and one I've advocated since Belleville went from a 3-day to a 2-day event. It certainly makes sense to me on a fan level to combine the midgets with either sprints or SC, and I'd definitely be "all-in" if they can figure out a way to make it happen. But does it make sense to the competitors? I can't answer that. Is there danger involved? Of course. I think we all agree there's danger with the midgets. Is there added danger for sprints because of the retaining fence (or lack thereof) and the increased speeds? I suppose that could be argued. And while it's certainly true that Belleville is a good distance from a major trauma center, there is a hospital in town that serves a fairly large region, so they must have some trauma capabilities. But in order for this to happen (with USAC sanction), some fence mending would have to take place. My impression is that there's no love lost between USAC and the fair board. Lots of questions would need to be answered before this event could happen, the first one being which group would be willing to initiate the discussion? Maybe Belleville has taken that initiative, if grader47 is to be believed (no offense grader47, but rumors and half-truths fly pretty freely on this forum). And which group would be willing to sacrifice their philosophical position in order for both parties (and let's not forget the fans) to get to experience an unforgettable weekend on one of this country's most iconic tracks? My opinion? An event like this would be a win-win-win. I hope there's some truth behind the assertion. Sorry for being so long-winded.

9/21/12, 9:39 PM   #9
barny oldfeller

as far as sprint cars being faster than midgets? the midgets n the sprints run about the same times at eldora

9/21/12, 10:03 PM   #10
Tim Watson

You always like to see the people putting on an event trying to improve it but are they grasping at straws here?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora vs. Belleville