IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Olson claims 53rd james/o'connor memorial
8/12/12, 2:37 AM   #1
Olson claims 53rd james/o'connor memorial
Pavement Dave

OLSON CLAIMS 53RD JAMES/O'CONNOR MEMORIAL

Salem, IN - August 11, 2012 - Brian Olson used a front row starting spot to claim the TRUFUEL Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series sanctioned 53rd Joe James/Pat O'Connor Memorial Saturday night at Salem Speedway. Olson won the event in dominating fashion.

Olson can now add his name to an impressive list of past champions of the event that includes the likes of: Pat O'Connor, Eddie Sachs, A.J.Foyt, Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, Rich Vogler, Tony Stewart, and Bob Sweikert among others. The win was Olson's second career MSRXSS victory.

In victory lane Olson indicated that this was perhaps the biggest win of his career and his Davey Hamilton Racing entry was flawless. " The car was really good and I was close to being flat the whole race " explained Olson. " There in the middle part of the race the car got a little loose. I pulled the wing back and it made it better. The crew got the car so good for me that it made my job easier. This win is right up there for sure. Winning at Salem with the history of this race, this is as big as it gets in pavement sprint cars " concluded Olson.

A nice crowd was treated to near perfect weather conditions for the event. Brain Gerster thrilled everyone on hand to an exciting round of qualifications as he lowered his own track record of 14.169 seconds set last August 6. Gerster became the first man in Salem Speedway history to break into the 13 second barrier when he ripped off a lap of 13.957 seconds.

Heat races were won by Jason Cox, Brain Gerster, and Jacob Wilson.

The only serious incident of the evening occurred on lap 26 of the feature when Jason Cox broke a right rear wheel entering turn four slamming him hard into the wall. Cox was ok. Tight close knit racing was the norm the entire feature as battles ensued for positions two through five nearly the entire race. Jason Blonde came home in second followed by Brain Gerster, Jo Jo Helberg, and Jimmy McCune rounding out the top five.

The MSRXSS will now look forward to a busy next weekend with two events in the Central Indiana area. The series will be at Anderson Speedway Saturday August 18 and Winchester Speedway the following afternoon. For more info log onto www.mustseeracing.com.

53RD JOE JAMES/PAT O'CONNOR MEMORIAL RESULTS

1. Brian Olson
2. Jason Blonde
3. Brian Gerster
4. Jo Jo Helberg
5. Jimmy McCune
6. Jacob Wilson
7. Aaron Pierce
8. Mike Larrison
9. AJ Russell
10. Todd Fayard
11. Jason Cox
12. Sondi Eden
13. Billy Wease
14. Jim Sheets
15. Jerry Caryer
16. Jeff Bloom
17. Jimmy Kite DNS

8/12/12, 10:23 AM   #2
Re: Olson claims 53rd james/o'connor memorial
Hubie

I used to attend this race religiously

Don't like winged sprint cars. And I won't add his name to the "list"

6 members like this post: ByronMack, dirt330, FishBurger, GregD, oljonesy, supdh56
8/12/12, 11:56 AM   #3
HurstBros0

We won it in 1985 when it was ran at North Vernon on dirt... You won`t find that on the list either ...

3 members like this post: DAD, Danny Burton, leonhaupt
8/12/12, 12:03 PM   #4
oljonesy

looks like the fields are getting slimmer. south bend had 24 cars last nite. hope they can draw some at winchester.

8/12/12, 2:01 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I'm not a fan of wings either, but these cars put on a spectacular show at Salem. I had a very enjoyable evening; the stock cars put on a very entertaining 50 lap race to open the evening, then the vintage cars took to the track for their parade laps before the sprint feature. Pleasant weather, a bigger crowd than last year, and the feature was over at around 9:00PM (CDT). Love my dirt tracks, but I always look forward to this race. Only wish we could have 40-50 USAC sprinters vying for a starting spot for this race as they used to do.

4 members like this post: 767, cfdrescue1, leonhaupt, short track scott
8/12/12, 5:41 PM   #6
Predator

Hubie you won't add his name to the list??? So out of curiosity is Donny Schatz on your list of Knoxville Nationals winners? I have been a part of some big wins and last nights ranks right up there on my list. Why is it on this board that everybody has to piss in somebody elses bowl of Cheerios?

Dave Newman
Davey Hamilton Racing

8/12/12, 8:59 PM   #7
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
I used to attend this race religiously

Don't like winged sprint cars. And I won't add his name to the "list"
Tell that to Brian Olsen. To his face.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

6 members like this post: 767, leonhaupt, Lewis1585, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, ronmil
8/12/12, 9:35 PM   #8
ossuks

When a "senior member" and message board "feature winner" does not add your name to his "list", well, it must not have happened!

2 members like this post: Lewis1585, randy j
8/12/12, 11:10 PM   #9
wbr

Hubie , don't forget the non-wing club abandoned the race not the other way around. We would have loved to ran both cars in features last night.

We had a top 5 going for sure but debris from Jason's crash popped the right rear tire. We got it changed and we restarted on the tail with 4 laps to go. So rolling the car out of the place with a 6th place finish was pretty good. I hope Jason Cox heals up quickly that was a real hard crash and he was pretty shaken up.

Congrats to BO on the win and BG for killing the record with the warp drive in the 50m.
Last edited by wbr; 8/12/12 at 11:11 PM.

8/13/12, 12:33 AM   #10
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

anyone who has the balls to drive one of them winged rocketships and wins sure enough deserves to have their name on that list.

I'll guarantee it's a lot faster than hubie racing his keyboard

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Olson claims 53rd james/o'connor memorial